The Student Room Group

graduate entry/biomedicine 'easy first'

hi,

I have afriend who is studying biomedicine at the lowest ranked in the UK. she got Bs at Alevel and she told me she went because it would be an easy first class compared to another uni and wants to go for graduate. she has been getting firsts, but would they look at where she studied? Because surely a first at the lowest ranked uni for biomed is easier than a first for biomed at a Russell group. Having said this another friend goes to this Uni as well with Bs in two coursework alevels -photography and healthcare and a D in Biology.
If this was the case wouldn't all applicants do this?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
hi,

I have afriend who is studying biomedicine at the lowest ranked in the UK. she got Bs at Alevel and she told me she went because it would be an easy first class compared to another uni and wants to go for graduate. she has been getting firsts, but would they look at where she studied? Because surely a first at the lowest ranked uni for biomed is easier than a first for biomed at a Russell group. Having said this another friend goes to this Uni as well with Bs in two coursework alevels -photography and healthcare and a D in Biology.

Biomedical sciences is, for the most part, and accredited degree which means the quality of the course will not drop below a certain good standard determined by the IBMS. The differences on the course will be in the extra details between a Russell Group university and newer universities because of the different research priorities. It is a misnomer to believe the quality of education is worse because the university is newer. What is a lowest ranked university, for a start? What makes up the ranking? You'll find it's mostly to do with research (international quality) and job prospects upon graduation (which is linked to the viscous circle of reputation of a uni).

Doing biomedical science at a red brick I can assure you it's not easy to get a first in your degree. Whether it's more difficult at a Russell Group university I obviously can't say, but as long as the course is accredited by the IBMS it will be of a good quality -- good enough for graduate entry into medicine.

Some universities may place some bias on the university you've graduated from but most are openly not bothered so long as you get a good degree and meet the other requirements. For a start most medical schools aren't looking for world class researchers, they're looking for potential medical students from other pathways.
Reply 2
Original post by MattKneale
Biomedical sciences is, for the most part, and accredited degree which means the quality of the course will not drop below a certain good standard determined by the IBMS. The differences on the course will be in the extra details between a Russell Group university and newer universities because of the different research priorities. It is a misnomer to believe the quality of education is worse because the university is newer. What is a lowest ranked university, for a start? What makes up the ranking? You'll find it's mostly to do with research (international quality) and job prospects upon graduation (which is linked to the viscous circle of reputation of a uni).

Doing biomedical science at a red brick I can assure you it's not easy to get a first in your degree. Whether it's more difficult at a Russell Group university I obviously can't say, but as long as the course is accredited by the IBMS it will be of a good quality -- good enough for graduate entry into medicine.

Some universities may place some bias on the university you've graduated from but most are openly not bothered so long as you get a good degree and meet the other requirements. For a start most medical schools aren't looking for world class researchers, they're looking for potential medical students from other pathways.

Oh I agree with this, she was saying to me the reason why she chose Bedfordshire is because it'll be easier to get a first there than at Kings/Imperial etc for example. I believe there is some truth in this because if they allow people with a D in Biology on, the course itself won't be as challenging as biomed at Imperial where the entry is As.
You don't need a IBMS accredited biomed degree, the majority of unis don't even offer it.

It's definitely easier to get a first at a lower ranked uni than one higher up. Although, the higher ranked unis will give more firsts out than the lower ranked ones. However, I would go for the better uni if it's something you will enjoy more/have better job prospects from. You're not guaranteed a medical school offer just because you have a first. While, if you went to a 'better' uni, you're more likely to have access to more extra-curricular stuff you can put in your PS etc, you'll have more support, more things to talk about, be involved in cutting-edge research, the list goes on..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Waterstorm
You don't need a IBMS accredited biomed degree, the majority of unis don't even offer it.

You don't need one, but without it it's harder to standardise and compare. Just over 50 out of 83 courses in the UK offer it, and I can guarantee the majority of the rest will be working towards it.

It's definitely easier to get a first at a lower ranked uni than one higher up.

Based on what evidence?

Although, the higher ranked unis will give more firsts out than the lower ranked ones. However, I would go for the better uni if it's something you will enjoy more/have better job prospects from. You're not guaranteed a medical school offer just because you have a first.

No but it helps you convince them you're academically fit for the course.

While, if you went to a 'better' uni, you're more likely to have access to more extra-curricular stuff you can put in your PS etc, you'll have more support, more things to talk about, be involved in cutting-edge research, the list goes on..

I don't know where your evidence for this is either. My 'red brick' university offers excellent support for postgraduate affairs including medicine.
You don't need one, but without it it's harder to standardise and compare. Just over 50 out of 83 courses in the UK offer it, and I can guarantee the majority of the rest will be working towards it.

I haven't done an accredited degree, but I would guess doing a non-accredited one offers you more scope to choose what area of research you want to go into/what you want to study.

Based on what evidence?

Probably more of an opinion rather than solid evidence. I would assume someone on a 2.2 at somewhere like oxbridge for example wouldn't be on a 2.2 at a 'worse' uni, as the workload is higher.

No but it helps you convince them you're academically fit for the course.

I would be very surprised if medical schools look into whether your course is accredited by the IBMS.

I don't know where your evidence for this is either. My 'red brick' university offers excellent support for postgraduate affairs including medicine.

You can't deny that 'better' universities get more funding, get access to better resources - just as an example, we have people from NASA coming over to our uni to teach us, we get sponsored by top graduate employers every year/get private invitations to dinners with them etc. I'm not saying other unis have a poor standard, I'm just talking about the opportunities. Plus the OP is talking about unis the equivalent of london met, not red brick unis.
(edited 11 years ago)
I haven't done an accredited degree, but I would guess doing a non-accredited one offers you more scope to choose what area of research you want to go into/what you want to study.

I suppose, but biomedical science isn't primarily a research degree. They're training biomedical scientists, most of whom go to work in the labs for the NHS. If you don't have an accredited degree you won't be able to do this and you'll in fact be limited to research, whereas an accredited degree from a lower uni would still be open to research and the NHS.

Probably more of an opinion rather than solid evidence. I would assume someone on a 2.2 at somewhere like oxbridge for example wouldn't be on a 2.2 at a 'worse' uni, as the workload is higher.

I think Oxbridge is a different kettle of fish. A 2:2 at Oxford probably doesn't equal a 2:2 at Nottingham or Sheffield either.

I would be very surprised if medical schools look into whether your course is accredited by the IBMS.

That wasn't a comment on IBMS accreditation, it was a comment on getting a first.

You can't deny that 'better' universities get more funding, get access to better resources - just as an example, we have people from NASA coming over to our uni to teach us, we get sponsored by top graduate employers every year/get private invitations to dinners with them etc. I'm not saying other unis have a poor standard, I'm just talking about the opportunities. Plus the OP is talking about unis the equivalent of london met, not red brick unis.

My comment was more on the whole extracurricular stuff, not your job prospects. The latter is certainly better at higher ranked universities, but I don't think you get any more support on making a successful medical application.

Yeah, I possibly exaggerated a bit in terms of support, as it probably won't make much of a difference. I also meant the research you could be involved with etc as part of extracurricular activities. And I was saying you need to consider graduate jobs too and employment prospects, even if you're applying for medicine.

And non-accredited degrees allow for more scope in research, as it's aimed for you to go into research. You can choose what specialty you want to go into and focus on that. Obviously if you want to train to be a biomedical scientist, you won't be able to do that without doing a few extra exams.

And I'm not comparing a uni in the top 10 with a uni in the top 20 or whatever. The OP is talking about the likes of Imperial vs Bedfordshire.
And I'm not comparing a uni in the top 10 with a uni in the top 20 or whatever. The OP is talking about the likes of Imperial vs Bedfordshire.

I suppose, but Salford is approx. #70 so even as a red brick it's not exactly a high ranking institution, but I still know several medical students who have come off my course.

It's important to note that uni's like Imperial have their own medical courses and hence studying biomedical science there will probably link in well if you chose to apply as a graduate (since you'll already know some of the admissions tutors/lecturers!)
I suppose, but Salford is approx. #70 so even as a red brick it's not exactly a high ranking institution, but I still know several medical students who have come off my course.

It's important to note that uni's like Imperial have their own medical courses and hence studying biomedical science there will probably link in well if you chose to apply as a graduate (since you'll already know some of the admissions tutors/lecturers!)

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying you can't get into medical school from a uni not ranked really high up. I've seen loads of people on here from those unis that have medical school offers, so I know it's not impossible at all!

And the links with the medical school was kinda what I was thinking of when I said 'support', as for example our admissions tutor also does medical school interviews so kinda knows what there're looking for and can give more of an idea when she gives mock interviews/advice. But yeah, it's hardly groundbreaking.

But anyway dude, I saw you posting quite a bit in the GEP thread, sorry about the issue regarding your UKCAT! Good luck with next year :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
But anyway dude, I saw you posting quite a bit in the GEP thread, sorry about the issue regarding your UKCAT! Good luck with next year :wink:

Thanks man :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
hi,

Smart move from your friend, however only one GEM university requires a 1st class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending