The Student Room Group

New Kent Youth Crime Commissioner posts offensive tweets

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alice_cilae
Well I guess that's what happens when you appoint a big-haired moron?

What's that got to do with anything? If you're going to judge people by their hair then Paris Brown isn't the only moron here. :rolleyes:
She looks like a chav trying a posh accent, wow just look at that hair!
Reply 62
She was right to have been fired. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour from someone who was given such pay and responsibility at such an age as hers. Old enough to know better.
Reply 63
Original post by datpiff
You didn't need to add the 'get a life part'

Many young people at that age are unable to handle that sort of pressure. I agree on the immature part. I should know. I'm a youth worker.

Kent SHOULD get rid of that post and get back to the drawing board. They could have at least consulted with professionals who work with young people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The police force is full of young people who are 20-30, please don't tell me that they know nothing about youth culture.

Plus what exactly are they supposed to be tackling? Binge drinking? Violence? What was the purpose behind introducing that post? The answers we are being given are very ambiguous and unclear, perhaps the elected police commissioner is an inadequate measure. The police must first deal with its own keyboard warriors who's drive to maximise efficiency is harmful, then get on with commissioners and all that.
Reply 64
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
What's that got to do with anything? If you're going to judge people by their hair then Paris Brown isn't the only moron here. :rolleyes:

Many employers have certain standards setting out what is acceptable for their employees in terms of clothing, hairstyles etc.
Reply 65
Original post by datpiff
Lol insult away, but I know you'd do her. Don't lie. You would.

She kinda looks like Adele lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's top lel
If John Prescott had become Humberside's Crime Commissioner, can you imagine who he'd have picked for the youth role?
Reply 67
Original post by Creat0r
Here's an actual picture of her dad 5 minutes after she told him she got the job.

http://www.pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/29927598974.jpg

Haha, that was pretty funny
Reply 68
I mean the girl herself is obviously a total and utter moron. But I suppose the thinking is having someone 'street' as opposed to someone who's just rolled out of Oxford speaking Latin probably means she can talk to people who are like her, and try to get information and digest their ways of life.

One thing I would say though is that I'm opposed to her resignation. I think you should be able to say what you want in a former life and not have to resign. Thus any comments she may have made on Twitter/other silly similar websites should be forgotten about. I don't like the way your private life is dug up once you enter public life. The American media did the same to Herman Cain when running for Pennsylvania Avenue.

But then, in terms of this girl, isn't she just rebelling against the Political Correctness gone mad world that we live in?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by datpiff
She's just stepped down too. The media pressure was probably too much. I hate the paparazzi and media. Scum bags the lot of em. I'd love to punch one.

No 17 year old should have to put up with that. Still a kid.

The police are even taking a break from real crimes (ie murder, theft and rape) and investigating whether some twitter posts made a few years ago which would otherwise have been unknown broke the law. What a mad world we live in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Eboracum
But then, in terms of this girl, isn't she just rebelling against the Political Correctness gone mad world that we live in?

Not really. She was just being gobby and ignorant on twitter, and not thinking about the consequences of her actions, either on other people who may have been upset about her using racist and homophobic language, but also on her own future. Don't attribute some misguided nobility to it, as if she was battling the horrors of political correctness (a.k.a the right to be cruel and hateful, usually towards minorities). She was just being really stupid (and occasionally nasty) and not realising, as many people don't, that everything you say and do on the internet can come back to haunt you nowadays.

Especially if you want to be a police officer or take a public role. I mean, really...
Reply 71
She's a chav. How the hell did she get that job in the first place?
I reckon there would've been quite some anger if she had been fired straight away - By posting that rubbish, isn't she just being the sort of typical young person that she's supposed to be representing? Surely the objective of her having that job was to make young people feel more comfortable with the police, so firing her for "just tweeting" would've caused many problems I'm sure.

She was kinda dumb by posting it, and this is the consequence for it. But hey, I'm sure everyone has a dodgy record of similar or worse things.

It shouldn't have led to her being fired, but a better background check might've brought it up and stopped her from being appointed in the first place. I'm not sure I would've wanted her to represent me as a "youth". But still, this event still represents some of the problems facing teenagers and I'm sure many feel oppressed for whatever reason because of it.
Reply 73
Original post by SillyEddy
I reckon there would've been quite some anger if she had been fired straight away - By posting that rubbish, isn't she just being the sort of typical young person that she's supposed to be representing? Surely the objective of her having that job was to make young people feel more comfortable with the police, so firing her for "just tweeting" would've caused many problems I'm sure.

She was kinda dumb by posting it, and this is the consequence for it. But hey, I'm sure everyone has a dodgy record of similar or worse things.

It shouldn't have led to her being fired, but a better background check might've brought it up and stopped her from being appointed in the first place. I'm not sure I would've wanted her to represent me as a "youth". But still, this event still represents some of the problems facing teenagers and I'm sure many feel oppressed for whatever reason because of it.

By posting that rubbish, isn't she just being the sort of typical young person that she's supposed to be representing?

The typical "young person" shouldn't be boasting about underaged drinking and being racist and homophobic. So no, she isn't.

But they aren't youth commissioners. The point is, certain posts come with certain expectations of behaviour. I certainly wouldn't be ok with knowing that, say, someone who just got out of jail for embezzling money was running for a public office. Would you?

I don't think that she should be tarred and feathered, or even put in the public spotlight. However, with this kind of thinking (which is FAR more recent that she has admitted to) I'm not sure if she's particularly suited to the job.
Jesus christ if she can get a job doing that then what the hell have I been working in retail for.
I think I may enter youth politics and keep my trap shut whilst getting paid a tidy sum.
Reply 75
Original post by navarre
The police are even taking a break from real crimes (ie murder, theft and rape) and investigating whether some twitter posts made a few years ago which would otherwise have been unknown broke the law. What a mad world we live in.

Can you imagine if she was caught making comments on 4Chan? Now that would be funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
I'd like to see the position filled by another teenager. Maybe one who never felt the need to post content to social media that would lead to criminal investigations.
Original post by navarre

:rolleyes: Yes they are taking a break from investigating real crimes. Because there are only enough police to do either one or the other.
Reply 78
Original post by thunder_chunky
:rolleyes: Yes they are taking a break from investigating real crimes. Because there are only enough police to do either one or the other.

With current Tory cuts to services and people being squeezed more than ever by taxes and rising costs, I'm not sure 'investigating' a 17 year old for offensive tweets posted years ago that almost no-one had seen before the media storm is a justifiable use of police money. As well as making no moral sense, it makes no economic sense, either.

The irony is, what happened to be a victimless crime has actually turned the perpetrator into the victim. She's lost her job, and may now face prosecution.
Reply 79
Regardless of her tweets -- why the hell was a 17-year-old "youth police commissioner" being paid £15,000 per year???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending