The Student Room Group

Do I change my name?

Hi,

I'm considering changing my surname via deed poll.

Whole load of reasons but to sum up, my family (who I have nothing to do with) are disgusting people who I want to distance myself from as far as possible and in any way I can.

I have no name in mind, but what do you think of changing surname?

Thank you.
Sure, go ahead. It won’t affect you negatively in any way - but you will have to pay for new documents.
Reply 2
I think you should be able to choose your own path. Just be mindful that if you get a degree in a name especially law snd medicine, it might be better to do it before you graduate. But research is needed for that.
Reply 3
Original post by goddessartemis
Sure, go ahead. It won’t affect you negatively in any way - but you will have to pay for new documents.

Thank you. I feels like it will be a new stage of my life, which kind of feels scary but is what I want.

How would I go about selecting a new surname?
Original post by mathperson
Thank you. I feels like it will be a new stage of my life, which kind of feels scary but is what I want.

How would I go about selecting a new surname?

Sure, no worries! You can look back into your family tree (far back) and see if you like one, steal one that you like from a character, create your own…you can basically name yourself anything (bar offensive names & certain restrictions).

I totally understand it’s a new stage, it is - it opens a new chapter of life for you. I changed my name and it’s essentially a new era; scary but amazing & exactly what you want. Do you need help with the logistics?
Hello! I completely understand your reasons for wanting to change your name, and I'm in precisely the same situation myself - though I picked my name several years ago, now, and use it wherever I can! In my case, I intend to change my name in its entirety: for my forenames I chose names important to me on a personal level, for my middle names I chose figures I admire, and for my surname, I chose the figure I admire most of all :smile:

I just wanted to ask - as I have done a bit of Googling on the matter for my own situation! - are you set on changing your name by Deed Poll? Would you consider a Statutory Declaration, instead? I ask because, as far as my own research indicated, it seems the latter carries a bit more weight with banks, for example, and other places that might ask you for more stringent proof of your name-change, unless of course you opt for an Enrolled Deed Poll, but that is a bit more complicated, and you need the aid of someone who has known you for more than 10 years, but isn't a blood relation.

A Statutory Declaration needs to be witnessed by a solicitor (or another important figure, like a notary public), which I imagine would cost a slight fee, but shouldn't take more than 20 minutes of their time, if you drew up the declaration yourself! (And there are plenty of examples of name-change declarations online.)
Reply 6
Original post by goddessartemis
Sure, no worries! You can look back into your family tree (far back) and see if you like one, steal one that you like from a character, create your own…you can basically name yourself anything (bar offensive names & certain restrictions).

I totally understand it’s a new stage, it is - it opens a new chapter of life for you. I changed my name and it’s essentially a new era; scary but amazing & exactly what you want. Do you need help with the logistics?

Looking back in my family history sounds like a good idea.

Certainly I'd appreciate any help I can get! 😁
Reply 7
Original post by EVRoosevelt
Hello! I completely understand your reasons for wanting to change your name, and I'm in precisely the same situation myself - though I picked my name several years ago, now, and use it wherever I can! In my case, I intend to change my name in its entirety: for my forenames I chose names important to me on a personal level, for my middle names I chose figures I admire, and for my surname, I chose the figure I admire most of all :smile:

I just wanted to ask - as I have done a bit of Googling on the matter for my own situation! - are you set on changing your name by Deed Poll? Would you consider a Statutory Declaration, instead? I ask because, as far as my own research indicated, it seems the latter carries a bit more weight with banks, for example, and other places that might ask you for more stringent proof of your name-change, unless of course you opt for an Enrolled Deed Poll, but that is a bit more complicated, and you need the aid of someone who has known you for more than 10 years, but isn't a blood relation.

A Statutory Declaration needs to be witnessed by a solicitor (or another important figure, like a notary public), which I imagine would cost a slight fee, but shouldn't take more than 20 minutes of their time, if you drew up the declaration yourself! (And there are plenty of examples of name-change declarations online.)

I'm actually not sure.
I just thought that deed poll was "the" way you change your name.
Reply 8
Original post by mathperson
I'm actually not sure.
I just thought that deed poll was "the" way you change your name.

A statutory declaration is also fine. You need to make a verbal declaration and sign the document in front of a solicitor, notary public, or commissioner for oaths. There's a fee of £5 for this. Obviously there will be additional costs if you want them to prepare the document for you.

In terms of finding a name you like, one suggestion I've seen in the past (in the context of finding names for characters in a novel) is to look through a phone book (assuming you can find an old copy -- I think BT has stopped printing them now).

Quick Reply

Latest