The Student Room Group

I'm moving cities - thoughts on London vs Bristol vs Kent?

Hello,
I am a young professional who has lived in Sunderland (North East) my whole life and keen to try pastures new! I didn't move away for uni and always regretted that so looking to do it now I've graduated.

I'm single, looking to live in a fun city where there is lots going on and where I can meet new people. Ideally somewhere with lots of cafes/ bars/ good nightlife, where I'd be able to date but also be safe for a single women. Somewhere busy but not too full on and overwhelming!

Now the dillema - I've been offered interviews in 3 locations (all virtual) - they are South London, Bristol and Kent (Maidstone or Canterbury) - does anyone have any thoughts on these areas and whether they would fit what I was looking for? I've never been more south than Manchester and I won't have time to go down before the interviews now.

thanks so much
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello,
I am a young professional who has lived in Sunderland (North East) my whole life and keen to try pastures new! I didn't move away for uni and always regretted that so looking to do it now I've graduated.

I'm single, looking to live in a fun city where there is lots going on and where I can meet new people. Ideally somewhere with lots of cafes/ bars/ good nightlife, where I'd be able to date but also be safe for a single women. Somewhere busy but not too full on and overwhelming!

Now the dillema - I've been offered interviews in 3 locations (all virtual) - they are South London, Bristol and Kent (Maidstone or Canterbury) - does anyone have any thoughts on these areas and whether they would fit what I was looking for? I've never been more south than Manchester and I won't have time to go down before the interviews now.

thanks so much

South London and Bristol seem quite suitable for your requirements.

Is it the same company? If not, then choose the best job first before thinking much about location.

All the best with the interviews.
Kent will be quieter in terms of cafe culture/social activities compared to the other cities.

Canterbury is a place popular with tourists and you can check out how easy it is to get to London and the south coast towns for events from there and Maidstone.

Kent has large areas of deprivation as well.

You could also check out living costs and crime stats between those 4 sites. You may find London and Bristol rents are extremely high and it's harder to secure accommodation. Quick glance at Gumtree/Rightmove.

Parts of South London like Croydon, some places in Southwark and so on are likely to have the highest crime rates in the UK at a guess.

London and Bristol will be the liveliest for social, cultural, hospitality opportunities but can you afford the rent.

Ultimately you may just find you suit one company far better and that could be your main priority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending