The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Corinna*
how would this work in a world where different countries have different religions? How could the games have religious connotations? I also don't think that religion now plays the role it used to play in ancient Greece.

Thankyou.
Sorry, one more question,

Are any of you aware of an athlete pretending to be from another country and got caught? - I mentioned him in my essay but forgot the name, I guess it could be any athlete whose done it but I can't seem to find any now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing funner when some of main points of several chapters of a book you're reading are summed up in massive untranslated quotations in German :colonhash:
Original post by medbh4805
Nothing funner when some of main points of several chapters of a book you're reading are summed up in massive untranslated quotations in German :colonhash:

Which book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vergil's Aeneid: Augustan Epic and Political Context (ed. HP Stahl)

my German vocabulary has improved considerably tonight :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
How did you do with the essay? Did you find out the answer to the question you asked about someone pretending to be from another country? I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested to know too, it's pretty funny if that happened (or maybe it happened for more negative reasons).
Original post by faber niger
How did you do with the essay? Did you find out the answer to the question you asked about someone pretending to be from another country? I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested to know too, it's pretty funny if that happened (or maybe it happened for more negative reasons).

I hope I did ok - I think I included enough evidence etc; will let you know my mark when I find out. I did, I have it written down in my Classics folder; let you know tomorrow!
It was funny tbh, they pretended they were from somewhere else got caught etc - I'll tell you tomorrow

Vergil's Aeneid: Augustan Epic and Political Context (ed. HP Stahl)

my German vocabulary has improved considerably tonight :colonhash:

Have fun!
Original post by Olympiad
I hope I did ok - I think I included enough evidence etc; will let you know my mark when I find out. I did, I have it written down in my Classics folder; let you know tomorrow!
It was funny tbh, they pretended they were from somewhere else got caught etc - I'll tell you tomorrow
Cool, it sounds funny. Hope you did well. :smile:
Cool, it sounds funny. Hope you did well. :smile:

Thank you, I hope so - I'm wanting to take Classics further to A level and maybe University.
I actually took Classics because I didn't have much choice, had no idea what it consisted of and now it is a subject I love :d
ok so I'm looking at a past paper for Greek and the first question is
"Translate:
ἀνηρ ἀγαθος
ἀνηρ ἀγαθος "

Ok I understand the difference but surely they would translate the same way in English anyway?? Would it be best to translate them and then write a sentence explaining the difference? Or is there some way to distinguish them in English that I'm oblvious to? :confused:
ok so I'm looking at a past paper for Greek and the first question is
"Translate:
ἀνηρ ἀγαθος
ἀνηρ ἀγαθος "

Ok I understand the difference but surely they would translate the same way in English anyway?? Would it be best to translate them and then write a sentence explaining the difference? Or is there some way to distinguish them in English that I'm oblvious to? :confused:
The adjective in the former is predicative, in the latter it ain't (it's attributive). So "the man [is] good" versus "the good bloke" (or, if you must, "the good man"). In other words, with the first sentence you can just think of there being an implied form of the verb to be (usually the present indicative). The only other way the adjective could be attributive is if it were in between the definite article and its noun. Hope that's helpful. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
The adjective in the former is predicative, in the latter it ain't (it's attributive). So "the man [is] good" versus "the good bloke" (or, if you must, "the good man"). :smile:

Okay, never occured to me to assume ἐστιν for the first one, but obvious now it's pointed out :beard: thanks
Okay, never occured to me to assume ἐστιν for the first one, but obvious now it's pointed out :beard: thanks
Cool, if you have any more questions you see that you're unusure of, feel free to post them; I like Greek, but I haven't had chance to read much for a while (although I have just come back from holiday, so got to read Hesiod on the flight back).
My exams are just under two weeks away and I haven't revised a single thing yet (due to various reasons, not a lack of want), so I am looking forward to getting balls deep in Roman comedy tomorrow. :smile:

I'll have to speed-revise ... :work:
Well that was a total fail. Started revising mime in Roman comedy, attempted to make up essay plans for past paper questions but they were too long. Tomorrow I will revise each play individually. :cry2:
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I would be able to get a copy of Die Fragmente der Vorsokratiker (6th ed or later, and I need the Greek-German one not the English translation) for a reasonable price? Tried alibris and abebooks already, only have reprints of earlier editions and really expensive editions I would have to import from Germany :confused:

I may end up having to photocopy the prescribed sections from the edition in my college library but I'd like to have my own copy if possible :cry2:
Reply 2475
Hi!

I think you are quite unlikely to find an original version of the book, unless you manage to discover luckily some internet shop.
you can also try to buy a new edition with a transcription of the original german comment! I think it's more probable to find something like that!
I read Book 12 of the Odyssey in Greek - took me a while but worth it!

Using the TSR app ~ Smile, you are amazing!
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I would be able to get a copy of Die Fragmente der Vorsokratiker (6th ed or later, and I need the Greek-German one not the English translation) for a reasonable price? Tried alibris and abebooks already, only have reprints of earlier editions and really expensive editions I would have to import from Germany :confused:

I may end up having to photocopy the prescribed sections from the edition in my college library but I'd like to have my own copy if possible :cry2:

try bookfinder
Urgh Latin and ancient history will be the death of me. Just a month and a half to go...

For some reason I'm hoping to do advanced Latin next year. I seem to be glutton for punishment. However, I need to get at least 50% in this module which might sound low, but I've been off ill for pretty much the entire semester and already only got 56 in the last exam (compared to the 80s I was getting before I got ill again :sigh:).

Stupid evil Latin. :grumble:
Reply 2479
Anyone ever been to the Heffers Classics Festival in Cambridge? Any good?

A_

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending