The Student Room Group

Product revision or long hours of revision?

I read alot on here people who are like i do 8 hours of revision a day etc etc

I was wondering how productive people actually are when they revise. I dont do nearly as much as 8 hours but i make sure when i revise i am productive maybe ill do maybe 3 hours in a day max, i couldnt keep going for 8 hours though. Do people think they are productive when they revise or they just grind out the work slowly for 8 hours? I feel bad when i see people who say they work for 8 hours so i was just thinking about this.
I will probably do about 4-5 hours a day but quite intense revision. The day before an exam though I will do about 8+! It depends on what works best for you really :smile: there's no set amount!
I can't revise at home for more than an hour at a time. I just do 20 minute sessions that equate to 2-3 hours per day, if I don't do that my concentration goes. :frown:
Original post by bad_moose
I can't revise at home for more than an hour at a time. I just do 20 minute sessions that equate to 2-3 hours per day, if I don't do that my concentration goes. :frown:

Might I recommend the pomodoro technique?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

That's kind of like what I'm doing but much more structured and consistent. I think I'll start doing this though, looks pretty good.
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Original post by bad_moose
That's kind of like what I'm doing but much more structured and consistent. I think I'll start doing this though, looks pretty good.

I do this and use the app 'pomodroido' to keep on track :smile: it helps you see how long left till breaktime, you can set our own length of pomodoros and breaks and it gwneray makes sitting down and revising easier :smile:
Reply 6
I couldn't revise for 8 hours a day, every day, until June. I'd go mad.

I don't think you should measure your revision by hours, as long as you're doing a decent amount - I set my self goals. I think "OK, I'll do this essay, and revise this chapter of my textbook, then have a break, and after that I'll do a past paper". For me that's a lot more effective, because I feel like I'm making progress if I can tick off goals as I go.

Also, if I set myself time goals, I tend to just stare at the clock waiting for time to go by, which isn't productive at all :tongue:
Reply 7
I'm productive in all my 9hours because I space breaks around them and give long slots to subjects such as history where with music I can go on for hours
Reply 8
I used to revise all day before but I just found myself getting extremely stressed, weak, depressed and miserable and I wasn't even getting straight A's like I wanted. What changed me was when I got my results back, I did well on the ones I revised for shorter amounts of time and more intensely than the ones I spent many, many hours on. Also, people who revised for less time than me were getting better results so I'm now revising about 5-6 hours a day only and my results have improved. Yes, 5-6 hours sounds like a lot still but it's like from 10am to 2pm, then an hour at about 5 ish and maybe an hour at night so it doesn't seem like much. It just depend on the person I guess. :smile:
Reply 9
Wow, I feel like I'm hardly doing anything. I don't really measure mine in hours so it feels like 3, but it's probably more like 1.5 considering how much I procrastinate. I just can't seem to concentrate, and I end up googling revision techniques instead of actually revising. I got a C in my January Philosophy exam and I wanted an A, so things are probably not going to go well this time either, which isn't motivating. I don't know, I'm just stressed and stuck and feel like it's pointless. So I'm very impressed with anyone who's actually doing 3+.
it is possible if you space it out. I do nine hours if i have too, especially during exam season. Basically just do three hours on and one hour off.
When you start revising, for me it was in Feb i barely managed two hours but if you keep at it you find yourself to be able to work more hours. If that makes sense :biggrin:
Reply 12
Depends. If you're like me you take ages to get started but once you're started you can go for ages, ignore I take a break it's hard for me to get back in. Others find that after 30 minutes they need to turn their head away for a bit and try something else. A crucial part of revising is finding out how your brain works, how YOU work best, what helps you retain information and what keeps your brain active. You can read up people's techniques but if one technique got someone 3 A*'s, the same could you 3 C's and vice Versa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending