The Student Room Group

struggling to revise because of lack of confidence

every time i sit down to try and revise for a test, my brain keeps telling me "I can't do this" and immediately shuts off. i never get to actually digest the stuff i'm revising because i am too anxious and worried about how i "can't do it". how to get rid of this feeling of dread? please help!!!
Original post by wkathryn17
every time i sit down to try and revise for a test, my brain keeps telling me "I can't do this" and immediately shuts off. i never get to actually digest the stuff i'm revising because i am too anxious and worried about how i "can't do it". how to get rid of this feeling of dread? please help!!!

Hi @wkathryn17

Try not to worry, sometimes when you have so much to revise it can seem impossible and overwhelming.
When I revise, I set a timer and do short bursts of revision for about 20 minutes. This could be reading some notes, looking over flashcards, etc. Then take a 10 minute break doing something completely different. I find walking away from my desk for a bit helps. Then come back for another 20/30 minute burst of revision, where this time you could test yourself to see how much you remember. Your could write down a list of the notes you remember, quiz yourself with some flashcards, or even answer a past exam question.

I find breaking my revision down and taking quality breaks makes it easier to focus as you're not sat staring at a textbook for hours. This could also help stop your feelings of "I can't do this", as you're accomplishing productive revision in an hours session and you won't feel burnt out.

I also find a negative mindset puts me in a bad mood, and ultimately I end up procrastinating. Try to think positively because you definitely can do it! And the short bursts of work should help you to fit in revision into your normal week, so it feels like less of a chore.

Hope this helps and remember to take some time for yourself too.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by wkathryn17

What's helpful for me was firstly, medication lmao, but secondly, look up grade boundaries. They're usually a lot lower than you would think. An A in a level maths is around 50%. 50%. Meaning you can lose half the marks on every single question and still get an A. Everyone finds these things difficult, and you're ranked against other students, not against Marie Curie.

Also, what's very helpful, copy and paste the spec ( list of what you need to know ) into a google doc, then make it into a ticklist ( use format or layout i can't remember ). Then work out how long you have left until the exam in days ( let's call this x ), take 5 away from that, and count the number of points to do in your list ( let's call this one y ). BEAR WITH ME

Then do y/(x-5), which will give you a number ( it can be a decimal). This is the amount of points on that checklist you have to do per day ( with 5 days spare in case of emergency or for breaks ) to finish the entire list before your exam. It helps put things into perspective. Chances are you'll already know at least some of the points, so on the days you're feeling overwhelmed, just check those off. It gives you a sense of control, which will help your confidence.

Additionally, you can do what I do, meme your stress. Am I stressed? Maybe. Do I have a fat ass? Sadly, no. Do I have big ol tiddies? HELL YEAH!

Here are some beautiful examples:
- I beat millions of sperm to be here, I won at something. I can win at this
- There is always stripping
- You are not Donald Trump. This is a blessing.
- I may be stressed. But I do not have haemorrhoids. This is a pain I was spared.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending