The Student Room Group

Study leave

Hey guys so I'm hoping to achieve 5 A's at higher or hopefully 4 and I was wondering how many hours a day would be good to study for on study leave?
Reply 1
Hi, for my Highers last year I got up at 8 and studied from 9 until 4 or 5. It really depends on how confident you are with your knowledge of the subjects you’re doing, if you are confident with a subject you might not need to spend as much time studying for it supposed to other subjects. I was lucky last year as my exams were quite spread out, so I could spend lots of time revising. Definitely take several breaks to avoid feeling burnt out and getting distracted and also don’t study into the night as you most likely won’t retain the knowledge you’ve learned. You’ve got this, good luck for your Highers :smile:
It depends where you currently are with your revision. For example, do you understand the content for all of your courses yet?

Rather than setting a number of hours a day to work, I feel it's better to plan out what content you need to cover each day. This involves taking the time to figure out what you actually need to revise in advance and structuring in a format that ensures you have time to get through all of it.

I've Higher Biology and Chemistry textbooks sat on my desk right now so if I was to plan out my week I might go:

Monday
Biology: (1) Science of Food Production (2) Photosynthesis and Energy Transfer (3) Breeding Plants and Animals for Food
English: memorise quotes, practice essay

Tuesday:
Maths: practice questions
Chemistry: (1) Fuels (2) Hydrocarbons (3) Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Ketones
Modern Studies: Africa topic content

Wednesday:
Biology: (1) Crop Protection (2) Inter-relationships and dependence (3) Social behaviour
English: close reading practice

Thursday:
Maths: practice questions
Chemistry: (1) Carboxylic Acids and Esters (2) Polymers (3) Natural Products
Modern Studies: UK content

This will feel like too much in a day for some people, and too little in a day for others. Take a good look at the content of each of your five Highers and figure out what you are confident with and what you aren't. Outline what you want to cover for each class, arrange it in a schedule that works for you, then jump right in.

This is just my personal preference on how to tackle revision. I find it clearer to just work for as long as I'm able to and until I hit my goals for the day rather than watching the clock.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by alle.summers
Hey guys so I'm hoping to achieve 5 A's at higher or hopefully 4 and I was wondering how many hours a day would be good to study for on study leave?

Like the comment above, planning a schedule would be great!
It would depend on how much content you understand. Try to separate and figure out what you understand and need help with - moreover, I would say for each topic/subject, you should spend at least 30 min - to 1 hour reviewing and understanding the content.
Then after a few days come back to test your memory on these topics either by flashcards or testing it through past paper/textbook questions.
Wish you all the best!! :smile:
Original post by ahriana
Hi, for my Highers last year I got up at 8 and studied from 9 until 4 or 5. It really depends on how confident you are with your knowledge of the subjects you’re doing, if you are confident with a subject you might not need to spend as much time studying for it supposed to other subjects. I was lucky last year as my exams were quite spread out, so I could spend lots of time revising. Definitely take several breaks to avoid feeling burnt out and getting distracted and also don’t study into the night as you most likely won’t retain the knowledge you’ve learned. You’ve got this, good luck for your Highers :smile:

Thank you so much I'll definitely do this 🫶🫶

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending