The Student Room Group

Revision for MAY/JUNE

I have 5 exams in May and June and I just can't revise for them. I haven't even finished S1 and hardly do any work even though I don't go to school I just can't get myself to open a book and start writing. I usually the waste the whole day on my laptop or doing other useless things. Has anyone got any advice for me in order to get ready for the upcoming exams and is it possible? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Royale
I have 5 exams in May and June and I just can't revise for them. I haven't even finished S1 and hardly do any work even though I don't go to school I just can't get myself to open a book and start writing. I usually the waste the whole day on my laptop or doing other useless things. Has anyone got any advice for me in order to get ready for the upcoming exams and is it possible? Thanks.

I have exactly the same problem, I just get distracted so easily. I know how important the exams are but it doesn't help, I still procrastinate. Sorry I don't have advice, but if anyone else does that'd be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Royale

im in a similar position as you, ive got 6 exams
just start grad doing past papers at least
ive started for physics and biology. i havent started much for maths yet, my teachers are still yet to finish S1 :s-smilie: and my other subject is art which doesnt need revising but needs maintaining my sketchbook
Revision timetable
Just get down to business

pick a topic you find hard and learn it

end of
Reply 5
Original post by Olympiad
Revision timetable

I honestly don't know where to start.
Reply 6
I find it easier setting myself a target and I use this app on my phone which sets a continuous timer so, for example for Spanish I was creating flashcards earlier and I set myself a time of 3 minutes for each one, that way I have some competitive element to it. Another method is breaks. Breaks are vital. Without breaks you'll become even more demoralised and give up completely. So for example, I usually will revise for around 2 hours and then have a 30 minute break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Royale
I honestly don't know where to start.

Ill help you, I made 5 of my friends one during the holiday.

Your timetable should ideally consist of:
Past papers,
Learning mistakes in past papers - writing notes etc
"Over view" - time to read through everything, topics you find hard etc

That's what my timetable consists of until the final exam which I created over the weekend. Then leave some blanks incase you are ill or find that you need more time to do a topic.
Reply 8
Ill help you, I made 5 of my friends one during the holiday.

Your timetable should ideally consist of:
Past papers,
Learning mistakes in past papers - writing notes etc
"Over view" - time to read through everything, topics you find hard etc

That's what my timetable consists of until the final exam which I created over the weekend. Then leave some blanks incase you are ill or find that you need more time to do a topic.

Could you show me an example? Also how many hours do you dedicate to each subject?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Royale
Could you show me an example? Also how many hours do you dedicate to each subject?

Yeah sure, I will tomorrow.
It depends, for one of my friends who is really struggling I made hers more detailed whereas my university friend wanted a plan for 1 week; so I wrote "day 1: Finish lecture AM... Etc"
Whereas mine is a calendar saying everything I want to achieve by the end of the day.

It depends on the subject.
ICT - spent ages on Coursework, hardly anything on revision - I find it an ok subject so probably going to do 5 past papers until the exam only
Geography - Around twice a week, 2.5 hours total
Classics - Same as Geography
Maths - 5/6 hours a week
English - 4/5 hours a week
Physics - 4/5
Biology - 5
Chemistry 5

I'll show you my timetable tomorrow.
If you really do find it difficult to make a timetable, PM me and I can start you off by making one on Microsoft word

USING THE TSR APP
Reply 10
Yeah sure, I will tomorrow.
It depends, for one of my friends who is really struggling I made hers more detailed whereas my university friend wanted a plan for 1 week; so I wrote "day 1: Finish lecture AM... Etc"
Whereas mine is a calendar saying everything I want to achieve by the end of the day.

It depends on the subject.
ICT - spent ages on Coursework, hardly anything on revision - I find it an ok subject so probably going to do 5 past papers until the exam only
Geography - Around twice a week, 2.5 hours total
Classics - Same as Geography
Maths - 5/6 hours a week
English - 4/5 hours a week
Physics - 4/5
Biology - 5
Chemistry 5

I'll show you my timetable tomorrow.
If you really do find it difficult to make a timetable, PM me and I can start you off by making one on Microsoft word

USING THE TSR APP

Thanks, I'll PM you.
Original post by Royale
Thanks, I'll PM you.

Welcome :smile:

USING THE TSR APP
Do you guys think this is a decent revision plan:

Make spider grams and revision cards for each subject, do a shed load of past papers, revise what you got wrong, do the past papers again. ?

Cheers:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by JollyJelly
Do you guys think this is a decent revision plan:

Make spider grams and revision cards for each subject, do a shed load of past papers, revise what you got wrong, do the past papers again. ?

Cheers:smile:

I think spidergrams and revision cards definitely help. I tend to do a past paper, self mark it and check where I've gone wrong. Spend a bit of time reviewing that topic and then move onto the next past paper. You should find a steady increase in your % score.
Watch this, and if you're not motivated enough after it, you are never going to change! :biggrin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
You wanted to see my timetable, I attached it to this post :smile:

USING THE TSR APP
Reply 16
Write out all the tasks you have to do. Seeing as you're addicted to your laptop, why not use word? :smile: then prioritise them, and decide on how you'll space revision out during your day. Maybe decide what time you'll wake up, get 3 hours done, with regular breaks, and then a big lunch break, and then another hour after? That way it's done and you have the whole evening to relax!

One thing I use is 'don't break the chain'. So, in your case, you have to do 4 hours of revision a day. Print out the calendar for this month and for every day you do 4 hours of revision, cross it off. Eventually it'll form a chain and you basically want to ensure you don't break it! You can do it, it's just a mental block. No ones born with self motivation, it's just distractions that make you not revise. So limit distractions and just do it! :smile: good luck!
Reply 17
Original post by GraceS94
Write out all the tasks you have to do. Seeing as you're addicted to your laptop, why not use word? :smile: then prioritise them, and decide on how you'll space revision out during your day. Maybe decide what time you'll wake up, get 3 hours done, with regular breaks, and then a big lunch break, and then another hour after? That way it's done and you have the whole evening to relax!

One thing I use is 'don't break the chain'. So, in your case, you have to do 4 hours of revision a day. Print out the calendar for this month and for every day you do 4 hours of revision, cross it off. Eventually it'll form a chain and you basically want to ensure you don't break it! You can do it, it's just a mental block. No ones born with self motivation, it's just distractions that make you not revise. So limit distractions and just do it! :smile: good luck!

'addiction' is a strong word lol but thanks
Reply 18
Original post by Royale
'addiction' is a strong word lol but thanks

Haha! :smile: no problem, hope it goes well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending