The Student Room Group

Procrastinating... by Studying?

As silly as it might sound, I think this is what I'm doing. I've been meaning to revise economics and business for the last week or so (A Levels in May/June). Instead, I've ended up studying mathematics relentlessly, putting in 11-12 hours per day.

It's almost like I can't wrench myself away from studying maths. I think it's because I don't actually want to study economics or business.

This isn't too much of a problem, since I am getting significantly better at maths. I'm curious if others have experienced something similar?

I'm going to have to pull myself away from studying maths, which is not something I think I would have said a few months ago!
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
As silly as it might sound, I think this is what I'm doing. I've been meaning to revise economics and business for the last week or so (A Levels in May/June). Instead, I've ended up studying mathematics relentlessly, putting in 11-12 hours per day.
It's almost like I can't wrench myself away from studying maths. I think it's because I don't actually want to study economics or business.
This isn't too much of a problem, since I am getting significantly better at maths. I'm curious if others have experienced something similar?
I'm going to have to pull myself away from studying maths, which is not something I think I would have said a few months ago!

The more you avoid it, the more there is to do! Ive also done the same but with focusing on one topi and avoiding the others but it does no benefit! Its no use if you get A* in on subject and Cs or Ds in the others. Often the hardest part is just starting and we will regret not starting earlier. Have a look at the spec for your other subjects too and ensure you spend time on them too. If your doing 10+ hour on maths, cut that down and add in an hour or 2 or each of your other subjects, so you at least get some time and attention to the other subjects, and you can even out the revision time eventually. Some subjects do require more attention than others but ensure you still are giving a good amount of revision time to each subject regardless. I also have exams in may/june, so good luck! :smile:
Original post by Aqsa.7806
The more you avoid it, the more there is to do! Ive also done the same but with focusing on one topi and avoiding the others but it does no benefit! Its no use if you get A* in on subject and Cs or Ds in the others. Often the hardest part is just starting and we will regret not starting earlier. Have a look at the spec for your other subjects too and ensure you spend time on them too. If your doing 10+ hour on maths, cut that down and add in an hour or 2 or each of your other subjects, so you at least get some time and attention to the other subjects, and you can even out the revision time eventually. Some subjects do require more attention than others but ensure you still are giving a good amount of revision time to each subject regardless. I also have exams in may/june, so good luck! :smile:

Indeed. I've already resumed studying my other subjects, and I'm feeling fairly confident about meeting my offers if I make good use of the next month or so. Good luck to you too!

Hi @Vesti La Giubba,

I was just like you during my A-Levels, I was extremely hyper-fixated on Biology and neglected my other two subjects because I convinced myself that Biology was the easiest to revise. This wasn't actually the case, Biology wasn't the easiest to revise, it just felt easy because I knew where my strengths and weaknesses were.

My suggestion for you is to have an overview of the specification points for econs and business and identify which topic areas you need to revise. You could use the green, amber and red method if you think visualising it will help more. Revising becomes a lot less overwhelming when you break it down into smaller chunks, it really helps for me to list out which topics to cover per day so it feels more manageable.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Vesti La Giubba,
I was just like you during my A-Levels, I was extremely hyper-fixated on Biology and neglected my other two subjects because I convinced myself that Biology was the easiest to revise. This wasn't actually the case, Biology wasn't the easiest to revise, it just felt easy because I knew where my strengths and weaknesses were.
My suggestion for you is to have an overview of the specification points for econs and business and identify which topic areas you need to revise. You could use the green, amber and red method if you think visualising it will help more. Revising becomes a lot less overwhelming when you break it down into smaller chunks, it really helps for me to list out which topics to cover per day so it feels more manageable.
Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Thank you, I got started just as soon as I realised the issue. Perhaps a bit of catching up to do now, but I'm going to make it happen. From here on, I'm going to make sure I do at least an hour on each subject each day. Just getting started has been huge, now I've just got to be consistent and I'm nearly there. Thank you Danish!

I keep doing this with Chemistry and Further Maths. I found them so hard I would revise them instead of Maths & Geography like in my last mocks I spent 2 months revising chem and fm and only a weekend doing the other 2 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending