Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dugald
Dy/dx=-3x^2+6x+4-k
k=-5 so dy/dx=3x^2+6x+9

3x^2+6x+9=9
3x^2+6x=0
3x(x+2)=0
x=0 or x=-2

I did this wrong because instead of doing 4-(-5) while differentiating I did 4-5 so go -1 on the end instead of 9 which gave me a quadratic with no real routes. So I couldn't attempt to find x or y.

How many marks will I lose?

How

First you say the dy/dx = -3x^2 ect.
Then you say dy/dx = 3x^2 ect.

I dont understand where the Negative has come from. Was the original equation; (x-1)(x^2+4x+k)?
Original post by Rrobba
I put the values of x and y into the original equation to see if they satisfied it. Putting x = -2 into the equation gave y = -27. The other value for x did not satisfy the equation and gave a different value for y.

How did you know it didn't satisfy the equation?

Original post by BankOfPigs
Not x-1.

you divide by 1-x

I think you get something like:

y = 9x -9 = -9(1-x)
y = (1-x)(x^2+4x+k)

So -9 = x^2+4x+k
Since k = -5

0 = x^2+4x+4 or (x+2)^2, which shows the repeated root.

At least thats how i did it.

Aha ok, I did a different method xD
Reply 62
Original post by eggfriedrice
Yup, I got 9/2 too.

****, left it as root 81/4. Will i lose the answer mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cowcat
Do you even get 'error carried forward' marks in A level?

Yeah you do for some questions, I've seen it in the past paper mark schemes a few times.
Reply 64
Original post by flyhigh99
Do you know the highest grade boundary we ever had?

off the top of my head 61
Reply 65
Ah I did not think of that. :tongue: you're probably right.

I did the same, and put down both we will lose 1-2 marks maximum. Surely wait for mr m for a mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by hannah1258
i did something very similar. Instead of making it equal to -3 i did dy/dx and then put in -3 for x and got some wierd answer which then made the part 3 completly wrong
will there be method marks for this?

Someone please put my mind at ease out of 12 (have a guess) how many method marks would I get???
Reply 67
Original post by gibjb
for the last part i know you had to equate the dy/dx of the curve to 9 and solve to get x. i did this but got 2 x coordinates so i didnt know which one to choose and stopped there. how many marks out of the 5 do you think i would have gotten?? and could anyone explain what you had to do after that step?

You had to say x could not equal zero because the gradient of 9x-9 is positive and at x the gradient was negative. I got (-2,-27) or something similar...
Original post by flyhigh99
Do you know the highest grade boundary we ever had?

No :s last year was 61 for an A I think.

Original post by cheetahs56
****, left it as root 81/4. Will i lose the answer mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha, I did that and realised root a square would just cancel out. Hmm I'm not sure, at most you'll lose one mark.
Reply 69
Original post by princess_parisa_22
can we compile a question paper together on here if we're allowed? these answers will be pretty useless unless everyone remembers what they wrote, and i'm sure not everyone will =/ i have a bad memory

If you wait until about 6:30-7 Mr.M will be posting up the answers
However, if anyone has the paper could they scan it and post it?
Original post by Ellie_Rosa
Which minimum point?

the one where you had to complete the square and give the coordinates of the minimum point/vertex
Original post by gibjb
for the last part i know you had to equate the dy/dx of the curve to 9 and solve to get x. i did this but got 2 x coordinates so i didnt know which one to choose and stopped there. how many marks out of the 5 do you think i would have gotten?? and could anyone explain what you had to do after that step?

I got the x co-ordinates, then used them to find out the y co-ordinates. Then to find out with co-ordinates are the correct ones I put them back into the original curve equation, and the ones that equalled 0 showed it was a tangent at that point, I think that is right? So I would guess you would only drop 1 mark, 2 tops.
Original post by Goods
I did the same, and put down both we will lose 1-2 marks maximum. Surely wait for mr m for a mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully it's just one mark, I was hoping for 100% >.> darn.
Original post by Pataiiii
For the circles question, was the centre - (0,-4) or (-4,0)???

(0,-4)
Reply 74
Original post by Pataiiii
For the circles question, was the centre - (0,-4) or (-4,0)???

i got (0,-4)
Reply 75
Original post by Whyllee
Someone please put my mind at ease out of 12 (have a guess) how many method marks would I get???

I would guess 6-7 provided your method was correct bar the arithmetical error

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gibjb

I got 2 x values and then substituted them into the equation of the curve to get two corresponding y values. Then I subbed these values into y=9x - 9 and only x=-2 and y=-27 worked. My other values were x=0 and y=-5 which don't work in y=9x-9 :smile:
Guys, for the inequalities question
3-8x>4
Did you get x<-1/8 or x>-1/8
Reply 78
Original post by Goods
I would guess 6-7 provided your method was correct bar the arithmetical error

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I know it's just a guess but thanks *sigh of relief*
Reply 79
Hopefully it's just one mark, I was hoping for 100% >.> darn.

I was hoping for 100% too but I spent all morning throwing up after catching a bug from my mother and so in the scheme of things it's not too bad. For both our sakes I hope that lots of people found it hard so 68/72 or something will ums to 100.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending