The Student Room Group

85 days until A-levels

Hi, I'm Sophie. I'm 17 (18 in March), and am closing in on my A-levels.

I study biology (SNAB), geography (AQA), and English language and literature (AQA). I'm predicted A, A*, B respectively, and need 120 UCAS points (~BBB) for my firm offer. In my most recent mocks I got ABB, which is above what I need, but I really want to get as much as possible.

I have a pretty good revision method which I can go into detail about if anyone wants it. However, I can't do schoolwork at home. I spend the majority of my free periods doing work and come in early and stay after school doing work. This is fine until I get to the holidays.

This last half term I had 6 days (2 days I was away), and only did the homework due on Tuesday. I have two biology tests this week that I haven't done much revision for, even though I had a lot of time. I do like revising, but I just can't at home.

I'm worried about my next mocks immediately after Easter and May half term during my A-levels. I think I can do work at school because of the forced structure, so I'm hoping posting on here will help me to do work.

I think I'm going to update after every exam and maybe daily during weekends / school holidays.

Please give me any advice you have, thanks for reading! :smile:
Yesterday I had a biology test on Topic 7, and I don't know how well I did. Earlier in the week I did one on Topic 8 (which is harder in my opinion), but I think I did worse on this one. I had two free periods before hand and worked pretty much solidly, as well as before school. I also did about 45 minutes after school on Wednesday, so I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

I have a scholarship exam next Wednesday that I'm going to revise for. I plan to do some revision on Sunday, but I might also push myself to do a bit on Saturday as a lot of it is wider reading and not actual content from lessons.
Original post by s.a.r.humphreys
Hi, I'm Sophie. I'm 17 (18 in March), and am closing in on my A-levels.

I study biology (SNAB), geography (AQA), and English language and literature (AQA). I'm predicted A, A*, B respectively, and need 120 UCAS points (~BBB) for my firm offer. In my most recent mocks I got ABB, which is above what I need, but I really want to get as much as possible.

I have a pretty good revision method which I can go into detail about if anyone wants it. However, I can't do schoolwork at home. I spend the majority of my free periods doing work and come in early and stay after school doing work. This is fine until I get to the holidays.

This last half term I had 6 days (2 days I was away), and only did the homework due on Tuesday. I have two biology tests this week that I haven't done much revision for, even though I had a lot of time. I do like revising, but I just can't at home.

I'm worried about my next mocks immediately after Easter and May half term during my A-levels. I think I can do work at school because of the forced structure, so I'm hoping posting on here will help me to do work.

I think I'm going to update after every exam and maybe daily during weekends / school holidays.

Please give me any advice you have, thanks for reading! :smile:
If there's a local library near you, I'd try there! I do this when I can't revise at school, as at home I find there's too many distractions. The library should be quiet and there should be enough resources for you to do your work in peace
Original post by sandiaduzzi
If there's a local library near you, I'd try there! I do this when I can't revise at school, as at home I find there's too many distractions. The library should be quiet and there should be enough resources for you to do your work in peace
I might try that! The closest one two me is only open till noon on Saturdays, but there's a bigger one open till four. I think if I went I would also feel I had to do work, so I'll see if I can find my old library card.
Original post by sandiaduzzi
excellent answer!
Today is Sunday and I did the 1hr and 20mins of work I had scheduled for myself. Although not the best practice, I watched YouTube at the same time. They were pretty mindless tasks, and if i did them at school I might have been doing them while talking, so I think I got around the same amount of work done. This was all before 9 am as well, rather than forcing myself to do it in the evening.
Yesterday I did my Bangor scholarship exam. I had revised quite a lot for it as it was on biology and had already been revising biology the week before. As this was my only deadline I did a lot of work on it and feel it went quite well. I get the results back in April and I'll tell you how I did.
Original post by s.a.r.humphreys
Yesterday I had a biology test on Topic 7, and I don't know how well I did. Earlier in the week I did one on Topic 8 (which is harder in my opinion), but I think I did worse on this one. I had two free periods before hand and worked pretty much solidly, as well as before school. I also did about 45 minutes after school on Wednesday, so I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

I have a scholarship exam next Wednesday that I'm going to revise for. I plan to do some revision on Sunday, but I might also push myself to do a bit on Saturday as a lot of it is wider reading and not actual content from lessons.
I got a C in this test, which I'm happy with, but its the lowest grade I've had in a while.
I didn't do any revision this weekend, but had only planned 45 minutes, and I don't have anything happening immediately.
I think I'm going to start posting what I want to do daily as I've sometimes been finding myself stopping my sessions early, especially after school.

7:30 - 8:45 - I think I can finish a biology paper and start a new one (I'm three behind the plan school has given me) - I did a bit more of this but then started talking to my friends (I am fine with this)

15:00 - 17:00 - I can definitely finish at least one biology paper and maybe start on the third / second one if I don't get homework - I did my geography paper so didn't finish the paper but I'm nearly there

I'll update you at the end of the day.
(edited 1 month ago)

7:30 - 8:15 - finish the biology paper and start the next one done
11:05 - 12:05 - biology paper been set geography homework
15:00 - 16:00 - finish the second biology paper and maybe start the third one - finished by biology core practical write ups then carried on with my geography homework
(edited 1 month ago)

7:30 - 8:45 - finish geography homework, continue with biology paper

i had already finished by geography homework, continued with my biology paper

11:05 - 13:05 - finish biology paper

did not finish as it was loud at other people's lunchtime

15:00 - 16:00 - start new biology paper

didn't even attempt it

(edited 1 month ago)

7:30 - 8:45

continue / finish biology paper

9:45 - 10:45

geography homework