The Student Room Group

CCEA M1 13th May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GingerCodeMan
Yeah, these are my own answers.

I was really surprised that they took the question paper off us, did that happen to anyone else?

Happens in every exam I sit? I don't find this odd at all
That paper had styles of questions that have so far been unseen on previous papers
Original post by JasonH27
Happens in every exam I sit? I don't find this odd at all

In C1, we were allowed to keep the question paper, and as far as I know, people who sat exams in our school were always allowed to keep A-Level Maths papers
Original post by sai04
can this paperrr get any worseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee????????????

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!1:angry:

the moment Qn! wth was that???

omgggg
:s-smilie:

i think I got a U ...
Q2 (i) u = 14.7 m/s
Q2 (ii) s = 11.0 m (3sf)

Q3 (i) 7120 N
Q3 (ii) Maximum number of people = 7
Q3 (iv) Cable is inelastic. Treat lift and people as particles

Q4 (i) t = 3/2, 6 seconds
Q4 (ii) s = (2/3)t^3 - (15/2)t^2 + 18t metres
Q4 (iii) 379/12 metres

Q5 (i) v = -5 m/s
Q5 (ii) m = 4 or 12 kg

Q6 (ii) a = (-8y - 6) (y = coefficient of friction)
Q6 (iii) To get answer, use v = u + at, rearrange to get u = -(a)t = -(-8y - 6)T = (8y + 6)T

Q7 (ii) P = 48.3 N (3sf)
Q7 (iii) Q = 59.2 degrees to the pole (answer could also be 120.8 if you took the angle to the other side)

Let me know what you think! (I might have forgotten about some questions, like Q1 :L)

i did manage to get the last one right as i got 71.8N for the reaction force at D and angle is 59.2 but i have no idea whatever method i used...
got the lift wrong, it should've been 7 people not 8, because 15000-800g-80xg=(800+80x)*0.9, i got 8 because i used (800+80)x instead of (800+80x)...
but for the momentum question i got 5 and 13m/s, but i think 5 is probably the right one? i don't know if they are going to mark me wrong since i did two attempts, hopefully not... and 12kg and 4kg for the second part if your part a was 5m/s
Reply 25
So many different answers, aaah.
For anyone that's interested:
1. P =5.32N (3sf), Q = 11.2N (3sf)
2(i) u=29.4ms^-1
(ii) 44.1m
3. (i) 7120N
(ii) 7.52 so 7 people
(iii)constant acceleration, model people etc as particles
4. (i) at rest when t = 3/2 and 6
(ii) 2/3 t^3 - 15/2 t^2 +18t
(iii) 379/12 = 31.6m
5. (i) 13 ms^-1
(ii) m= 4 or 12
6(i) diagram
(ii) and (iii) I think they're wrong...
7(i) diagram
(ii) P = 67 ??? :s-smilie:
(iii) Yeah this was bad as well, I had about 10 mins left and my brain just froze
Original post by ririlarov
So many different answers, aaah.
For anyone that's interested:
1. P =5.32N (3sf), Q = 11.2N (3sf)
2(i) u=29.4ms^-1
(ii) 44.1m
3. (i) 7120N
(ii) 7.52 so 7 people
(iii)constant acceleration, model people etc as particles
4. (i) at rest when t = 3/2 and 6
(ii) 2/3 t^3 - 15/2 t^2 +18t
(iii) 379/12 = 31.6m
5. (i) 13 ms^-1
(ii) m= 4 or 12
6(i) diagram
(ii) and (iii) I think they're wrong...
7(i) diagram
(ii) P = 67 ??? :s-smilie:
(iii) Yeah this was bad as well, I had about 10 mins left and my brain just froze

i got the same as you for the suvat ones and i got 14 for the lift one..

i think i got a U in that paper
Reply 27
Yeah I was so confused with the suvat, like I didn't know what to put for time, so I went with t=3 cause if t=0 then u would = 0 :s-smilie: but then I didn't know what to put for v, so I put 0 for that as well
Reply 28
It was better than the Jan 2013 paper anyway... #thirdattempt
In C1, we were allowed to keep the question paper, and as far as I know, people who sat exams in our school were always allowed to keep A-Level Maths papers

Same in my school as well, we were allowed to take the paper home
Wasn't a bad paper bar the pole and impulse question which for some reason I got totally confused at (m= -12kg) :smile: couldn't find the stupid minus error
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
The paper was so WEIRD!! Its not that the questions were particularly hard or not doable, they were just weird - like the lift question, the momentum question and the inclined plane question. The exception of course being the last question which was absolutely deadly! I couldn't even attempt the last part of the last question! I originally got 4 people for the lift question but knew that was obviously wrong and done my working again and got 7.52 i think so i said that 7 people could get safely in the lift?? The first few questions on the paper were fine!
Reply 31
Original post by jashfield730
Same in my school as well, we were allowed to take the paper home
Wasn't a bad paper bar the pole and impulse question which for some reason I got totally confused at (m= -12kg) :smile: couldn't find the stupid minus error

I made the exact same mistake!!! I found my error though, i think I had -3 on one side of an equation, brought it over and kept it as -3 instead of changing it to +3! Luckily I found it and i got 4 and 12kg! Was such a weird question... had never done anything like it before! I was basically just going with my instinct on the question and appeared to have got it right (by chance) ahah
i hope the UMS gets scaled up! :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by nathannnb
The paper was so WEIRD!! Its not that the questions were particularly hard or not doable, they were just weird - like the lift question, the momentum question and the inclined plane question. The exception of course being the last question which was absolutely deadly! I couldn't even attempt the last part of the last question! I originally got 4 people for the lift question but knew that was obviously wrong and done my working again and got 7.52 i think so i said that 7 people could get safely in the lift?? The first few questions on the paper were fine!

yay I got 7.52 too, and then said 7 :smile::smile:
Reply 34

wooohooo! :smile: I was trying to go through the start of the paper and make sure everything was right cause i knew i was loosing LOADS of marks on the last question! Lucky I did or I would still have got that only 4 people could get in the lift... thats a crappy lift ahah!

Same here, I beginning to think 7 is the right answer
Whoooo!!! one question right:smile::smile:
I don't see how people are getting u = 29.4 m/s for question 2.

s = 0
u = ?
a = -9.8
t = 3

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
3u + 1/2(-9.8)(3)^2 = 0
u = 14.7 m/s

Solution 2:
u = ?
v = 0
a = -9.8
t = 1.5 (to reach max height, i.e., half the total time)

v = u + at
u = v - at
u = 0 - (-9.8)(1.5)
u = 14.7 m/s

Original post by JasonH27
These are my answers:

1. P = 5.32N, Q = 10.5N
2. i) u = 29.4
ii) s = 1.5m
3. i) T=7120N
ii) 11 people
iii) particle - air resistance etc.
4. i) 1.5secs, 6secs
ii) s = 2/3t^3 - 15/2t^2 + 18t
iii) 31.6m
5. i) v = 13m/s
ii) m = 4kg or 12kg
6. i) diagram
ii) a= -8u(co-eff of friction) -6
iii) proof - which i was able to derive correctly, which would lead me to believe 6ii) to be correct also
7. i) diagram
ii) P=48.2N
iii) 88.4N, 81.3 degrees - completely made this answer up in the last 10 minutes, I know it's not correct but I hate leaving blanks, so I did it as a normal resolving force Q with the hope of some method marks at least!

how did you even do 5ii)?
Original post by nathannnb
I made the exact same mistake!!! I found my error though, i think I had -3 on one side of an equation, brought it over and kept it as -3 instead of changing it to +3! Luckily I found it and i got 4 and 12kg! Was such a weird question... had never done anything like it before! I was basically just going with my instinct on the question and appeared to have got it right (by chance) ahah

Lucky you :angry: just joking :smile:
I don't see how people are getting u = 29.4 m/s for question 2.

s = 0
u = ?
a = -9.8
t = 3

s = ut + 1/2 at^2
3u + 1/2(-9.8)(3)^2 = 0
u = 14.7 m/s

Solution 2:
u = ?
v = 0
a = -9.8
t = 1.5 (to reach max height, i.e., half the total time)

v = u + at
u = v - at
u = 0 - (-9.8)(1.5)
u = 14.7 m/s

I totally agree, I got 14.7 ms-1 as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending