The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

What is the 6 marker predicted on?
Six marker topic variations up to June 2012

Jan '10: Experiment to determine the Youngs Modulus of a metal wire. materials
June '10: Energy changes of a gymnast as she jumps higher in the air on a trampoline. energy changes/mechanics
Jan '11: Explain how a stationary wave is formed, and describe key features (on a diagram shown). waves
June '11: Double slit of known separation: Describe measurements to be taken to find the wavelength of the light. waves
Jan '12: Describe a procedure to determine and accurate value for the wavelength of a laser. waves
June '12: Experiment to determine the spring constant k, of a spring. materials

I haven't seen the January 2013 paper so I don't know what the topic was for that paper.

They seem to like waves questions though... which is convenient as I detest ​waves.
Original post by UnknownOrigin
Six marker topic variations up to June 2012

Jan '10: Experiment to determine the Youngs Modulus of a metal wire. materials
June '10: Energy changes of a gymnast as she jumps higher in the air on a trampoline. energy changes/mechanics
Jan '11: Explain how a stationary wave is formed, and describe key features (on a diagram shown). waves
June '11: Double slit of known separation: Describe measurements to be taken to find the wavelength of the light. waves
Jan '12: Describe a procedure to determine and accurate value for the wavelength of a laser. waves
June '12: Experiment to determine the spring constant k, of a spring. materials

I haven't seen the January 2013 paper so I don't know what the topic was for that paper.

They seem to like waves questions though... which is convenient as I detest ​waves.

The January 13 six marker was about the formation if standing waves :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
The January 13 six marker was about the formation if standing waves :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right okay cool.

Well then its looking more likely to be a question on something other than waves.

Although that is a very hopeful statement lol

If they did decide to do waves, I don't see why they couldn't ask a question to describe an experiment and procedure to determine the refractive index of something. Although that seems a bit easy to me... idk
Reply 84
Original post by UnknownOrigin
Ah right okay cool.

Well then its looking more likely to be a question on something other than waves.

Although that is a very hopeful statement lol

If they did decide to do waves, I don't see why they couldn't ask a question to describe an experiment and procedure to determine the refractive index of something. Although that seems a bit easy to me... idk

I think there is a strong possibility of materials coming up again
Resitting this exam, last time I did it was January 2012 :redface: :eek: so teaching it all myself again.

Didnt like the teacher I had for waves the first time round, but from unit 4/5 I'm starting to understand them now :biggrin: mechanics is great :')

Resitting coz I have another 29 UMS I could pick up, which would definitely help me overall.

I need 111 to get a B which I need for uni, and that's from unit 5 & 6 , so picking up another 25 would be great :smile:

Does anyone happen to have the January 2013 paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you know when to use suvat equation or other equations such as v=s/t?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you know when to use suvat equation or other equations such as v=s/t?

Posted from TSR Mobile

v=s/t is essentially using the suvat equation s=ut+1/2 (at^2)

You use it for horizontal motion generally, so your acceleration is zero, therefore getting rid of the 1/2 (at^2) and just having s=ut which rearranges to u=s/t

In this case it doesn't matter if you used u or v as speed is constant.

But yeah, assuming you're talking about projectiles or something, s=ut for horizontal motion, s=ut + 1/2 (at^2) for vertical

Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
v=s/t is essentially using the suvat equation s=ut+1/2 (at^2)

You use it for horizontal motion generally, so your acceleration is zero, therefore getting rid of the 1/2 (at^2) and just having s=ut which rearranges to u=s/t

In this case it doesn't matter if you used u or v as speed is constant.

But yeah, assuming you're talking about projectiles or something, s=ut for horizontal motion, s=ut + 1/2 (at^2) for vertical

Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks :smile: There are some questions where you think you have to use suvat equations but you don't, how do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thanks :smile: There are some questions where you think you have to use suvat equations but you don't, how do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm, have you got any examples? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
Erm, have you got any examples? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about 1c on the attachment, apparently using v=s/t and reaggranging it to find t doesn't work??

Posted from TSR Mobile
How about 1c on the attachment, apparently using v=s/t and reaggranging it to find t doesn't work??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well here the diver is falling vertically, so you have to account for the acceleration due to gravity

S=54
U=0 (starting from rest)
V= (we do know it from part b, but not really necessary, better to use values that we know are true)

A= acceleration due to gravity, 9.81
T= what we want to calculate.

S= ut + 1/2 (at^2)
54 = 1/2 * 9.81* t^2

And blah blah blah.

You don't use s= ut as there is acceleration due to gravity involved as its vertical motion.

Ill try and find an example where you'd have to use both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try looking at this, it has a couple of examples that they like asking in exams
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/equations-of-motion/revise-it/projectile-motion-and-what-if-velocity-and-acceleratio

Posted from TSR Mobile
When looking at two waves how do we know if they are in phase or out of phase and does maxima basically mean the maximum amplitude?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone finding the legacy questions harder than the current past paper ones?
Reply 95
Original post by UnknownGuy
Anyone finding the legacy questions harder than the current past paper ones?

what are those questions?
Reply 96
Can anyone help me with June 2010 6A pleasee :smile:
Original post by h94k
Can anyone help me with June 2010 6A pleasee :smile:

What you struggling with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chapters 7&8 :'( kmn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eilish1903
Chapters 7&8 :'( kmn

Posted from TSR Mobile

The mechanics? I love that bit ! It's waves I struggle with, but then again I loved the teacher I had for mechanics and hated the one I had for waves and optics and everything when I learnt it the first time round

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending