The Student Room Group

How long do cats stay missing and still come back ok?

Has anyone had a cat that has disappeared in a way that is completely out of character and still come back? If so how long were they away?
Just looking for some hope really- my cat wandered off what is now nearly three days ago, no sign of her, desperately want her back and just wondering how long, realistically, I can hope she will wander back in for?
Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Lost my cat for two-three months. Came back one night as a bag of bones but apart from that she was absolutely fine. Still no idea what happened to her, but she was so skinny.
Really sorry to hear that. :frown:

It really depends what's happened to her. Have you checked the roads nearby? I know you don't want to find her like that, but it might provide some closure if you do. Also, she could be injured and hiding. Finally, I assume she was spayed? Cats often go away and hide to have kittens.

If she hasn't had an accident, she might well come back. Cats do wander off from time to time, and there's a reasonably large chance that this is all that's happened. I would prepare yourself for the possibility that she won't come back. However, two to three days is not an impossible length of time. Cats come back after months or even years sometimes. Have you put up 'missing' posters?

To answer your question, my cat wandered off nearly a year ago, and we were certain he was dead. Then last week we found an almost identical, but very timid, cat a few streets away that had a missing tail. I can't be certain, but I'm fairly sure it's him, so I suppose he must have been hit by a car and run away.

I hope you find her. :hugs:
Reply 3
My cat would dissapear for 2 or 3 days sometimes, the longest he was ever gone was 5 days. We think he'd been chased off by some other animal as he came back with a lot of cuts and scratches. There's a lot of reasons cats stay away.

Trying leaving some food out and calling it's name? That coaxed ours out from a bush in the neighbours garden after he'd been gone for 5 days.
Reply 4
Thank you all for replying. She is spayed and chipped. I've got her reported as missing with the local vets and council so am desperately hoping at this stage that no news is good news as far as not hearing from them is concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Our cats are mostly house cats (one of them never goes further than the garden and rarely further than the back doorstep to sunbathe, the other will go a little further than that but within sight of the house) so it would be highly unusual if they went missing. The only time one of them went missing for a significant amount of time my dad found her injured curled up in a corner of the garden (with basically her whole side ripped open-vet reckoned she must have fallen onto a spike or glass and ripped herself off :frown: She was really lucky to pull through) but we did at least get her back and she was eventually okay.

Does your cat often go far? Do you have an idea of the sort of area around your house that they like to roam around? Definitely worth checking any sort of place nearby they could have crawled into were they injured (sheds, etc) and the roads around your house. Do they have a collar? It might also be worth checking with neighbours (particularly if they don't have a collar-someone might assume they're a stray and feed them); it might just turn out they're enjoying someone else's hospitality!

3 days isn't a very long time, so I hope you find her.
Original post by Delph123
Thank you all for replying. She is spayed and chipped. I've got her reported as missing with the local vets and council so am desperately hoping at this stage that no news is good news as far as not hearing from them is concerned

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am really sorry about your cat and do wish she returns safe to you, though it is impossible for anyone to say how long she might be gone for or if she will return.

The fact that she is chipped is good - all rescue centres and vets will scan her if she comes into them.

This must be very difficult for you, I would be devastated if my pets went missing, really sorry about this x
Reply 7
She could be one ages. She might be getting food off someone else. Cats are pretty good at looking after themsleves. Good luck
My cat got run over in broad daylight 5 years ago and we couldn't find him anywhere. He went off to die but returned after a week with a branch in his eye socket (the impact knocked his eye out) and weak. He made it, but he's roaming after we moved a year ago. We don't see him usually for about 2 days before he comes into our garden. He's really not well, but he just won't come home!

I hope you find your cat soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have a local branch of the Cats Protection League near you, it might be worth contacting them to see if she has been handed in, and if not, whether they could keep a look out for her.

My friend's cat went missing when they moved house, even though their new house was only a few streets away from their old one. My friend later found out that an elderly couple who lived nearby had assumed that they had abandoned their cat, and took it in as their own. The cat eventually found its way to their new house again, but it now only stays for a few days at a time before wandering back to the couple again.
Reply 10
My cat went missing for 5 months when he was young! Hopefully your cat returns home :redface:
Reply 11
Thanks again everyone. She still isn't home but had a couple of possible sightings around my area yesterday and this morning. Just don't understand, if it is her, why she hasn't come home :frown: have re-flyered the area this evening and sweet talked a large pizza delivery company into sending leaflets out with their deliveries this evening so just hoping I don't get too many drunken prank phonecalls!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
32 long days later- she is back!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
32 long days later- she is back!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow awesome do you know where she was? Had she been taken to a cat shelter? Was she in good condition?
Reply 14
She turned up at a house about a mile away 5 days ago and then the man saw a poster with her picture on and rang me. No idea where she had been before that. She is perfectly well and only lost a bit of weight so someone had obviously looked after her. Can't believe she is here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this thread was started a year ago, but the story of Delph.s missing cat has given me so much hope.

My 1 year old cat Bo went missing 10 days ago and i am frantic with worry....It is so unlike him, as he is such a home boy (born in next doors garden), i have the his mum who was a stray, and he absolutely adores my son. I have done all the usual things, put out flyers, contacted local vets, council, cats protection, the microchip service, as he was neutered microchipped, and was wearing a collar with a bell and a name and address and tel no tag...I am at my wits end, just don't know what to do next...I hope he returns soon.
Reply 16
Just seen this and hope by now your cat has come home. I really didn't think id see my baby again but since I got her home I've helped out with looking for lost cats and reuniting found ones with their owners and it is amazing how many of them do this when it is completely out of character for them and come home wondering what all the fuss is about.
Fingers crossed for all those lost furballs out there x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just seen this and hope by now your cat has come home. I really didn't think id see my baby again but since I got her home I've helped out with looking for lost cats and reuniting found ones with their owners and it is amazing how many of them do this when it is completely out of character for them and come home wondering what all the fuss is about.
Fingers crossed for all those lost furballs out there x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much Delph. My baby still hasn't returned home. It is now 3 weeks :frown:. I am just hoping and praying that he does the same as your kitty and wanders back in and looks at our worried grey faces and wonders what all the fuss is about.
My cat has gone missing 5daY's back. ..After we moved in to the new house. She was scared not was in 1 room for a week. After a week she wanted to wander out at night so I opened the door neighbour since then she haven't returned. ..she is not use to this area. ..I m worried if she ll come back.... earlier when she was 6 month old had gone missing for 4 days ..now she is 6 years & this is a new location
Reply 19
Has anyone had a cat that has disappeared in a way that is completely out of character and still come back? If so how long were they away?
Just looking for some hope really- my cat wandered off what is now nearly three days ago, no sign of her, desperately want her back and just wondering how long, realistically, I can hope she will wander back in for?
Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

do not give up hope, one of my cats wanders off for 4-6 months at a time and then returns usually flea ridden and hungry, just wish I knew where he goes.

Latest