The Student Room Group

F581/ F582 Economics June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Anybody got the Jan 2013 exam paper for f581? would be very much appreciated :smile:
Original post by lufc_dan
I defined inflation rate instead of inflation. I did the same analysis as you.

For my evaluative I said -depends on other AD components, depends on size of appreciation, depends whether exports are price elastic/inelastic (Iknow this is micro but you have been allowed to use it on previous mark schemes) and put it depends on what other currencies are doing (which is totally wrong) so hopefully the first 3 evaluative points will get me through.

What's wrong with saying it depends on other currencies? Surely if the countries main trading partners exchange rates increase in line with the country's exchange rate then net exports won't decrease. Or am I completely misunderstood?
Original post by Silverback94
What's wrong with saying it depends on other currencies? Surely if the countries main trading partners exchange rates increase in line with the country's exchange rate then net exports won't decrease. Or am I completely misunderstood?

Nope I'm highly sure relative strengths of currencies is a valid evaluative point. I made it and I know several others who did, I wouldn't worry if I were you!
Reply 743
Original post by lisa96
:smile:

Do you have the mark scheme to that? :biggrin:
Original post by PrinceUpsb
Nope I'm highly sure relative strengths of currencies is a valid evaluative point. I made it and I know several others who did, I wouldn't worry if I were you!

Ah that's a relief. I drew diagram shifting AD to the left, and spoke about a fall in net exports and then a multiplier effect, reduced unemployment, further reducing AD and inflation. But then i got mixed up and spoke about costs of imported raw materials increasing rather than falling. Do you think I'll still have enough L3 to get into the L4 evaluative marks?
Reply 745
discuss whether competitive markets always lead to allocative efficiency - from specification

Anyone know how I would answer these types of questions about allocative efficiency e.g the L3 and L4 points?
Reply 746
Original post by KanKan
discuss whether competitive markets always lead to allocative efficiency - from specification

Anyone know how I would answer these types of questions about allocative efficiency e.g the L3 and L4 points?

To be honest i'd see this come up in A2 more than AS, however since it is within the specification you could use moderate A2 knowledge to boost marks (if you do A2 :/ ).

Allocative Efficiency - Maximising consumer satisfaction

Competitive markets (oligopolies/ perfectly competitive market etc..), essentially what they do is compete with each other through lowering their prices in order to thrive and survive within the market and hence not make a loss which could lead to possible bankruptcy, this exists in markets with very CLOSE SUBSTITUTES for example lets say two companies/firms selling an apple which are the same, these are homogeneous goods (same goods), this indeed may not increase revenue to the extent due to the nature of the market, this would somewhat result in prices falling. With all that being said a good point to mention is "firms may cut their own prices to steal market share from their rivals" this point shows how prices are kept low.

Now moving on to achieving the aim of allocative efficiency as above iv'e mentioned that competitive markets results in prices being low, this is somewhat a characteristic of allocative efficiency, HOWEVER it does not always mean that the quality of the product produced will be at its highest standard, the firms main objective is to maxismise profits and therefore their actions will not be in the best interests of consumers. It also depends upon the type of product sold, as if it is a demerit good then it would cause negative externalities which is definitely not going to increase allocative efficiency, but cause market failure.

This is just a basis of an answer to give you an idea of how allocative efficiency could possibly occur within competitive markets, if someone could elaborate on some more evaluative points that would be great.

I highly doubt this would come up as an 18 marker for AS, especially unit 1...so i wouldn't worry about it too much, i hope that helps :biggrin:.
Original post by shaggyk
To be honest i'd see this come up in A2 more than AS, however since it is within the specification you could use moderate A2 knowledge to boost marks (if you do A2 :/ ).

Allocative Efficiency - Maximising consumer satisfaction

Competitive markets (oligopolies/ perfectly competitive market etc..), essentially what they do is compete with each other through lowering their prices in order to thrive and survive within the market and hence not make a loss which could lead to possible bankruptcy, this exists in markets with very CLOSE SUBSTITUTES for example lets say two companies/firms selling an apple which are the same, these are homogeneous goods (same goods), this indeed may not increase revenue to the extent due to the nature of the market, this would somewhat result in prices falling. With all that being said a good point to mention is "firms may cut their own prices to steal market share from their rivals" this point shows how prices are kept low.

Now moving on to achieving the aim of allocative efficiency as above iv'e mentioned that competitive markets results in prices being low, this is somewhat a characteristic of allocative efficiency, HOWEVER it does not always mean that the quality of the product produced will be at its highest standard, the firms main objective is to maxismise profits and therefore their actions will not be in the best interests of consumers. It also depends upon the type of product sold, as if it is a demerit good then it would cause negative externalities which is definitely not going to increase allocative efficiency, but cause market failure.

This is just a basis of an answer to give you an idea of how allocative efficiency could possibly occur within competitive markets, if someone could elaborate on some more evaluative points that would be great.

I highly doubt this would come up as an 18 marker for AS, especially unit 1...so i wouldn't worry about it too much, i hope that helps :biggrin:.

If this question comes up, you've just saved my life!! I would not have had a clue, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Silverback94
Ah that's a relief. I drew diagram shifting AD to the left, and spoke about a fall in net exports and then a multiplier effect, reduced unemployment, further reducing AD and inflation. But then i got mixed up and spoke about costs of imported raw materials increasing rather than falling. Do you think I'll still have enough L3 to get into the L4 evaluative marks?

yh thats enough , i i did similar thing as u did , but i think we where supposed to shift As to the right , im not sure about that. rest is fine
Reply 749
Original post by lisa96
I think taxation is most likely to come up because it hasnt come up since June 2010

Thankss
Reply 750
Original post by tom_elsey
If this question comes up, you've just saved my life!! I would not have had a clue, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, it is quite a tricky one especially for AS standard haha :tongue:.
Original post by shaggyk
No problem, it is quite a tricky one especially for AS standard haha :tongue:.

theyre not likely to ask about allocative efficiency in the essay are they ? i thought it was just government intervention into market failure stuff :/
Reply 752
Can anyone help me on reaching L4 in 18 markers? I found it really easy in f582 but I'm not really sure what to put in f581.
Reply 753
Also what is the problem with banning something such as chewing gum?
Original post by mrdan
Can anyone help me on reaching L4 in 18 markers? I found it really easy in f582 but I'm not really sure what to put in f581.

From what i gather

You have to EVALUATE the strenghts and weaknesses of the proposed market failure. In yoru conclusion also, try to suggest a potentially better policy and EVALUATE why it would be better but also the potential drawbacks of it

i think
Original post by mrdan
Also what is the problem with banning something such as chewing gum?

The downsides of a ban:

- Leads to black markets (and the neg externalities, crime etc of it)
- Is costly to enforce (oppurtunity cost )
- Removes free will of consumers
- Buisnesses/Firms will close causing unemployment as well as loss of economic growth
Reply 756
Original post by mandem2k11
From what i gather

You have to EVALUATE the strenghts and weaknesses of the proposed market failure. In yoru conclusion also, try to suggest a potentially better policy and EVALUATE why it would be better but also the potential drawbacks of it

i think

Okay so if the question was about introducing a tax then I could say, for example, it's hard to estimate the cost of a negative externality?
Original post by mrdan
Okay so if the question was about introducing a tax then I could say, for example, it's hard to estimate the cost of a negative externality?

Yep, also the level of the tax results in a potential measurement problem , which can lead to government problem

For a tax:
Positive:

- Raises govt revenue
- Price better reflects true social costs (and socially optimum equilibrium)
- Reduces production of demerit goods
- The neg ex is reflected in market price
- resources are bwetter allocated (solving the market failure)

Negatives however: (evaluative points)

- Measurement/Level of tax issues, hard to get the right number of tax - can cause govt failure
- The Neg Ex still takes place
- Can lead to black markets and the neg ex/crime they produce
- Lose international competitiveness
- Firms may be forced to close due to production costs = unemployment + economic growth slowing or halting
- Also if the PED is inelastic, then changes in the price for consumers may not discourage them from spending on the good and the neg ex it entails
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyone have a guess as to which elasticity they'll use tomorrow?

Last time PED was used was June 10 so I'm putting my money on that one.
Original post by NedStark
Anyone have a guess as to which elasticity they'll use tomorrow?

Last time PED was used was June 10 so I'm putting my money on that one.

hope so, PED is the simplest. XED is just annoying

Im jsut worried that ill only remember the basic comment points "Elasticities are estimates so unreliable" And struggle to d othe others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending