The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Carmel college foundation year 2013 whos applied and whos bn please help need advice!

So im in a bit of a tricky situation im tied between sheffield hallam for studying maths with foundation year or uni liverpool. The obv choice would be liverpool however the foundation year for liverpool is held at carmel college which is between 45 mins to hour and half away from campus on a really bad day apparently and the course itself requires you to pick up maths along with two other modules ie geog biology phys and a few others to choose from. I feel like it will be a real nightmare having to travel so far everyday, that the fact you have to pick up maths along with 2 other modules is not really ideal as it is almost like repeating a levels again as i will be focusing on 3 different subjects as apposed to just maths which makes it much harder and i am really worried i will also be isolated from uni life having all my classes in carmel :/. So my question is has anyone taken this foundation year that could fill me in on what the teachching is like how they found their course,uni life and what the timetable was like ie was it 5 days a week or ? Anyone who has also applied and/or going also please share your thoughts as i feel like im only one in this situation thanks guys !:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll try and help best I can but it was a few years ago for me. I found it fine. TBH I found a lot of the lessons they treated it like you had some knowledge of that level but it is basically going through A levels but in one year. Most of the teachers were good and I'd say you have two ways of looking at it, either you can study other modules you have done before or choose a couple of different ones and it is like you are gaining A levels in two different topics. I ended up choosing modules different to what I had studied at school and I enjoyed it.

The travel can be a pain in the neck, however, I was usually travelling with a large amount of students also studying their foundation year and we formed a good group of friends the same as if we were on a regular first year.

One point to note is that Carmel College is a 6th form college mainly so you will see a lot of 16+ students about. Your lectures are in a separate part though so once you get past the main entrance you don't spend time with them. You also have a separate computer room/study space near your classes to spend time.

hope that helps
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
I firmed to study Computer science w/ foundation at Carmel this year. I've been looking at the same problems as you, but I don't think it'll be a massive deal.

The 10/10a bus is around a 30 minute journey from the on-campus accommodation (I've chosen Vine Court), which doesn't sound great but it could be worse. Also I hear it's common for students to drive/car share so there might be other options.

As for the subjects, similarly to you, Maths is an essential module - which is no problem as I did it at ALevel - and then I have to elect two modules. The idea of this is actually quite appealing to me as we only have to get 50% overall to progress onto the actual degree course, and what we got during the foundation year isn't reflective towards your degree at all.

That basically means we can live in halls and party just like all the other students and only have to get 50% to pass. Also, I'm looking forward to studying something different to what I did at A-Level, Physics for example is a keen interest of mine.

Basically I don't think you should be worried about studying 3 subjects, if you've chosen to take Maths at degree level then you should easily achieve 50% overall.
Reply 3
I'm in the exact same boat as you Andy. Same subject choice but unsure about accommodation and were to go. Is there any accomodation closer to the rpute 10 bus stop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by RedKaggle
I'll try and help best I can but it was a few years ago for me. I found it fine. TBH I found a lot of the lessons they treated it like you had some knowledge of that level but it is basically going through A levels but in one year. Most of the teachers were good and I'd say you have two ways of looking at it, either you can study other modules you have done before or choose a couple of different ones and it is like you are gaining A levels in two different topics. I ended up choosing modules different to what I had studied at school and I enjoyed it.

The travel can be a pain in the neck, however, I was usually travelling with a large amount of students also studying their foundation year and we formed a good group of friends the same as if we were on a regular first year.

One point to note is that Carmel College is a 6th form college mainly so you will see a lot of 16+ students about. Your lectures are in a separate part though so once you get past the main entrance you don't spend time with them. You also have a separate computer room/study space near your classes to spend time.

hope that helps

Ah yeah thats great sorry for such a slow responce ! So do you remember what your timetable was like were you having to go in every day or ? and carmel college has really high ratings do you know if there was a high pass rate within people you knew or did a lot of people fail. And one more thing when you say its like a levels in one year do you mean its like an intensive course ie AS and A2 all in one year sorry for all the questions just really like to know thankss ! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AndySymeou
I firmed to study Computer science w/ foundation at Carmel this year. I've been looking at the same problems as you, but I don't think it'll be a massive deal.

The 10/10a bus is around a 30 minute journey from the on-campus accommodation (I've chosen Vine Court), which doesn't sound great but it could be worse. Also I hear it's common for students to drive/car share so there might be other options.

As for the subjects, similarly to you, Maths is an essential module - which is no problem as I did it at ALevel - and then I have to elect two modules. The idea of this is actually quite appealing to me as we only have to get 50% overall to progress onto the actual degree course, and what we got during the foundation year isn't reflective towards your degree at all.

That basically means we can live in halls and party just like all the other students and only have to get 50% to pass. Also, I'm looking forward to studying something different to what I did at A-Level, Physics for example is a keen interest of mine.

Basically I don't think you should be worried about studying 3 subjects, if you've chosen to take Maths at degree level then you should easily achieve 50% overall.

Yeah i was thinking that aswell about the 50 percent although it does depend how hard and intensive the course is. And im sure the bus journey is much longer then that its 9 miles ive read some people say its 45-hour half on a bad day :s-smilie: where did you find out the info exactly thanks !
Just to say I'm going in for the Computer Science with Foundation at Carmel this year too, although not firmed it on UCAS just yet. I've been wondering a lot about accommodation, whether people live in halls and then get the bus down or if people get a house closer to the Carmel school. Was going to give Liverpool Uni a ring at some point and ask for some more information on it as on the open day the person who I was meant to speak to about it wasn't able to attend.

I suppose the travel isn't too bad, especially if there's a bunch of people all doing the same. But if it is a 5 day a week thing then I guess that could definitely become a pain. Will be keeping an eye out for what others are thinking on it, and will let everyone know if I can get any good information when I ring Liverpool.
Reply 7
Original post by Shazz94
I'm in the exact same boat as you Andy. Same subject choice but unsure about accommodation and were to go. Is there any accomodation closer to the rpute 10 bus stop?

The closest accommodation to the route 10 bus stops is the on-campus accommodation. I imagine it wouldn't be more than a 5 minute walk to a bus stop in the centre of Liverpool, or I was told so by the lady running the foundation degrees at Carmel.

Original post by Adl91
Yeah i was thinking that aswell about the 50 percent although it does depend how hard and intensive the course is. And im sure the bus journey is much longer then that its 9 miles ive read some people say its 45-hour half on a bad day :s-smilie: where did you find out the info exactly thanks !

It definitely won't be harder than A-levels, I'm certain of that. It is 5 days a week but only an hour or two; last year my A-levels were 5 days a week 8 hours a day. 50% is only like an E at A-level, isn't it?

And my source is the lady who is based at Carmel running the degrees for Liverpool Uni, her name is Carmen (not kidding). She may have been exaggerating about the length of the bus journey so it didn't sound so awful :tongue:
Reply 8
I was curious how far the bus stop would be from the on-campus halls so I had a look.

From Vine Court, it's less than a mile to the nearest bus stop so a 10-15 minute walk. (refreshing, if you're hungover)

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfiles/Services/North_West/NWSH10A,110_010309_010309m.pdf
Reply 9
The closest accommodation to the route 10 bus stops is the on-campus accommodation. I imagine it wouldn't be more than a 5 minute walk to a bus stop in the centre of Liverpool, or I was told so by the lady running the foundation degrees at Carmel.

It definitely won't be harder than A-levels, I'm certain of that. It is 5 days a week but only an hour or two; last year my A-levels were 5 days a week 8 hours a day. 50% is only like an E at A-level, isn't it?

And my source is the lady who is based at Carmel running the degrees for Liverpool Uni, her name is Carmen (not kidding). She may have been exaggerating about the length of the bus journey so it didn't sound so awful :tongue:

hmm interesting i thought foundation years were a level or in between a level and degree work and when you say 1 or 2 hours are you sure they didnt mean for each module a day so total 5-6 hours a day or literally 1 or 2 hour classes to go to in a day ? lol thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Adl91
hmm interesting i thought foundation years were a level or in between a level and degree work and when you say 1 or 2 hours are you sure they didnt mean for each module a day so total 5-6 hours a day or literally 1 or 2 hour classes to go to in a day ? lol thanks

An hour or two per subject, but she said you don't do all 3 subjects everyday. somedays it's only two. And a lot of the time the classes are scheduled to be two hours but the material is finished quicker than that.
Reply 11
An hour or two per subject, but she said you don't do all 3 subjects everyday. somedays it's only two. And a lot of the time the classes are scheduled to be two hours but the material is finished quicker than that.

oh okay cheers for that man sorry for slow response hopefully should be a good year ahead !!
Reply 12
Hi ive appled to computer science as well. Im stopping in the city at accommodation about 5 minutes away from vine court.
When I spoke to Carmen she suggested either a train or bus , the train being quicker and more reliable but also being futher away ans more expensive. So im still undecided what to do as for travelling but it didn't really seem like a problem. Im sure Carmen also said that the Lessons wouldn't start untill 9.20 earliest to give anyone travelling from the city centre abit of extra time.
i'm just finishing the foundation year currently doing my sumer exams you ideally need a 10 bus nearest one is by the royal hospital next to prospect point/near opal court it takes 50 minutes on the 10 adn 15 mins extra on 10a but wirth the 10a you have to walk up a massive hill once you get off it too.
Reply 14
Original post by DudettePuddin
i'm just finishing the foundation year currently doing my sumer exams you ideally need a 10 bus nearest one is by the royal hospital next to prospect point/near opal court it takes 50 minutes on the 10 adn 15 mins extra on 10a but wirth the 10a you have to walk up a massive hill once you get off it too.

Thank you for that, not exactly great news but it's good to hear it from someone who's there!

Can I ask you a few questions about Carmel? How is it there, do you enjoy it? What subjects did you choose? What are the classes like? how many do you have a day/week? How are you assessed? Is it strange being a Uni student going to the college?

Tell me everything basically, haha. Thank you in advance.
Thank you for that, not exactly great news but it's good to hear it from someone who's there!

Can I ask you a few questions about Carmel? How is it there, do you enjoy it? What subjects did you choose? What are the classes like? how many do you have a day/week? How are you assessed? Is it strange being a Uni student going to the college?

Tell me everything basically, haha. Thank you in advance.

haha I did biological sciences, I did two half subjects: half maths and applications of biology then two full subjects: chemistry and biology.
A few courses only have three full ones and a few have two half ones :smile:

erm the sixth formers can be a bit annoying :L but you have a separate two rooms away from them one pc room and one just with tables but they get very busy so get in them fast at lunch and break. Most of the teachers I had were incredibly supportive, all very friendly, you get their emails so can email them whenever but with some it takes a while to reply.
there are tutorials you go to once a week...advise is go just because you sort out exam forms and stuff there and hopefully talk to people in your tutor group.

I'm in about 12 hours a week, you get around 6 assignments in each subject (averaging one every other week) so keep on top of them. they're not difficult and you're allowed to use your notes. some are in class tests and some of them are open book but revise before hand but some are just here's a mini exam...go!

all of your assignments add up to 30% of your semesterly grade and exams are 70% in each subject so if you get high marks in coursework, the more marks you carry forward.

in other words, just because you're going over alevel stuff (and a bit of new stuff) don't slack at all because it makes it much easier to get into liverpool after the summer

it is a bit weird because you just want to be on campus with everyone else :frown: trust me...september cannot come soon enough for me at all! and blooming £300 bus pass can go to hell (I have house 5 min walk from campus with friends next year)
Reply 16

I'm in about 12 hours a week, you get around 6 assignments in each subject (averaging one every other week) so keep on top of them. they're not difficult and you're allowed to use your notes. some are in class tests and some of them are open book but revise before hand but some are just here's a mini exam...go!

hi thanks for the info,
can i ask what sort of term times there is? is it uni terms or college terms?
and also do you have a set timetable each week or does it change?

thanks ,
Original post by BenC93
hi thanks for the info,
can i ask what sort of term times there is? is it uni terms or college terms?
and also do you have a set timetable each week or does it change?

thanks ,

It is both uni and term so you get same holidays as uni + half terms and its a weekly timetable :smile:
I've just been given an unconditional now after carmel for Anatomy so managed to get BBCC at alevel, get a first overall at carmel now go onto a course wanting AAA so yeah stick with it guys!
Reply 18
It is both uni and term so you get same holidays as uni + half terms and its a weekly timetable :smile:
I've just been given an unconditional now after carmel for Anatomy so managed to get BBCC at alevel, get a first overall at carmel now go onto a course wanting AAA so yeah stick with it guys!

Congratulations :smile:

I know this isn't the most positive mind set, but we only have to pass to get onto the next year, right?
Reply 19

thanks! that's good news.
well done for getting on. I'm in the same boat with the Grades so this is encouraging :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending