The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Tbh the deal was done a year ago. Balague did report that he was going either in 2013 or 2014.
Anyone have any figures for the Neymar deal? Strange I couldn't see a quoted fee.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Anyone have any figures for the Neymar deal? Strange I couldn't see a quoted fee.

$36m (£24m) according to the newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/8735740/Transfer-news-Santos-striker-Neymar-chooses-Barcelona-over-Real-Madrid

Pretty sure they wanted a lot more than that when Chelsea were interested.
Original post by Isometrix

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11833/8735740/Transfer-news-Santos-striker-Neymar-chooses-Barcelona-over-Real-Madrid

His contract expires next year I think. Lol they wanted £35m back in 2010 when we wanted him. :lol:

**** me, ligue 1 is gonna be sick next season, falcao, rodriguez, moutinho up top. They'll get some boss CB's while we're at it.
Wonder how atletico will use the money. That's a lot of money.
Hate it when world class players like Hulk and Falcao go to a crap league :sigh:
Original post by Isometrix

Not exactly the windfall Santos were hoping for.

I heard rumours of Neymar not actually being able to move earlier, as is common with the stars in South America his wages were only part paid by the club, part paid by sponsors. The sponsorships meant he was tied to Brazil as he couldn't escape their part of the contracts without big payments. Not sure how much truth there is in that.
Original post by Malevolent
I've seen the Seahawks and they were unlike anything I've seen in soccer or Basketball. Crowd noise level was unreal.

I think you may be in a bad spot there. NFL season is currently in off season and starts in late August. NBA season will be in off season when your there and starts October. Ice Hockey will be off season as well and start not in time. College Basketball and Football same thing :sad:

Only the MLS and Nascar is during July man.

Oh is that right. I was looking forward to see some of those sports. At least it gives me an excuse to go over there in the future. Is that the same in Canada, as Vancouver is close by.
What would you recommend doing in Washington state/ possibly Oregon?
Original post by jam277

Wonder how atletico will use the money. That's a lot of money.

They have a pretty severe debt problem I think, not sure how much of that they will be able to spend. Don't think they owned all of his rights either.

edit: Found this, pretty interesting http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 292
How do they come up with some of these stats haha..

Football Stats Live® ‏@SocaStats 5h
Falcao has lost possession due to a poor first touch more times (99) than any other player in La Liga this season [ws]
Original post by mojojojo101

On a completely unrelated note Brazil's Serie A starts tonight and from this season on whoscored.com will have full stats relating to it :biggrin:.

Another Brasileiro fan on the forum? I'm not expecting Flu to be the same this season. Their Carioca and Libertadores performances haven't been that convincing compared to how they were last season.

Neymars last game for Santos is about to kick off in a minute. It's a shame for his sake it's not to be played in their home stadium as he would have been given a greater send off by the fans that love him. The game is being played in Brasilia for the opening of the new stadium that looks magnificent. I personally think it's one of the best stadiums for the World Cup next year.
Original post by aa22
x

Managed to catch the second half of the final. Wow, Benfica... A month to forget for all those involved with Benfica! It was looking so good with a treble on the cards and they have come to the end of the month with having nothing at all. Really thought you would have got something.

Cardozo kicking off at the end too! Then fans going mad at JJ when he was walking up the stairs. :eek: I don't even want to say it's a season to forget, because it's not .It's just this month that all has gone wrong. Prior to that everything was looking good!

As for James and Moutinho - The good thing with this is they have gone before the window has even opened. It's not all last minute like it was with Hulk leaving us with no time to get any players in. It was going to happen with them going and well now it has despite both saying they wouldn't mind staying. Ahhhhhhhh well! Atsu to Liverpool seems very likely now too.
I expect to see a herd of newly found Monaco founds pop up now. My opinion on Falcao has dropped as well. A pretty pathetic move in my opinion. Doesn't really say much about his desire to play in the CL like much of the media were saying. But hey, it's not my career.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 296
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Managed to catch the second half of the final. Wow, Benfica... A month to forget for all those involved with Benfica! It was looking so good with a treble on the cards and they have come to the end of the month with having nothing at all. Really thought you would have got something.

Cardozo kicking off at the end too! Then fans going mad at JJ when he was walking up the stairs. :eek: I don't even want to say it's a season to forget, because it's not .It's just this month that all has gone wrong. Prior to that everything was looking good!

As for James and Moutinho - The good thing with this is they have gone before the window has even opened. It's not all last minute like it was with Hulk leaving us with no time to get any players in. It was going to happen with them going and well now it has despite both saying they wouldn't mind staying. Ahhhhhhhh well! Atsu to Liverpool seems very likely now too.

I did not think we'd lose the Taça as well, but to be honest, I don't even care we lost that anymore. We didn't deserve it based on that performance. It looked like nobody even cared. We played with a small team mentality by trying to keep the 1-0 lead.. I don't understand why we always falter in the biggest matches.. JJ needs to sort that out because I think he still thinks he is at a small team.

I don't blame Cardozo. I'd be angry as well. I don't get why JJ put Andre Almeida at leftback today. It really wasn't necessary to play defensively.. Melga would have helped us a great deal in attack..

Artur really messed this one up. If he had just made a proper clearance, none of this would have happened. And this isn't the first time that he has messed up in an important match.. just need to go back to the matches vs Porto at the Luz (where he tried to skill up Jackson and gifted him the goal) and also at the Dragao (bad positioning).

*siiiiiiiigh* Embarrasing month for Benfica fans...

Interesting that Moutinho and James are now gone. Two big players, Porto are much more weakened now, and if players like Fernando and Jackson leave as well, it'll be hard for Porto to be strong next season. If Benfica don't win the league next year I think we will have to part ways with JJ (unless he manages to win an European cup instead) because he should have won the league this season and also last season.

I really don't think Liverpool should be buying a player like Atsu to be honest... is he any good? I thought he was quite an average player... Porto would do well to get some money for him..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DaveSmith99
They have a pretty severe debt problem I think, not sure how much of that they will be able to spend. Don't think they owned all of his rights either.

edit: Found this, pretty interesting http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/

Makes sense tbh. I had a feeling that the 3rd party ownership of falcao would affect his decision to move. Lets be honest anyway monaco will be CL regulars in the next 2/3 seasons, but by the time they actually are at the top falcao's peak years will be almost wasted, a shame really.

It's a good thing we bought out david luiz too.
Original post by Four Queue
I expect to see a herd of newly found Monaco founds pop up now. My opinion on Falcao has dropped as well. A pretty pathetic move in my opinion. Doesn't really say much about his desire to play in the CL like much of the media were saying. But hey, it's not my career.

Read davesmith99s post before you get your knickers in a twist. He's basically a slave to jorge mendes and kenyon sports. There's little to nothing he could do about it.
Original post by DaveSmith99

The quote that stood out for me:

So in the end Falcao is moved around Europe by his investors with the only goal of making a return for them. He has little to no say in his final destination because of a deal he agreed to years ago while he was still in South America.

Wow.

Quick Reply

Latest