The Student Room Group

Edexcel: 11th and 14th June 2013 (Linear) 1MA0/1H + 2H (Official Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by organism
How are u revising maths? do you know it all now?

For Maths revision, best thing to do is learn the basic principles and then do loads of practice questions at different difficulties :biggrin:
Reply 61
Original post by king_revision
For Maths revision, best thing to do is learn the basic principles and then do loads of practice questions at different difficulties :biggrin:

Hmmm. What are you hoping for in august (grade)
Reply 62
What kind of topics are most likely to come up on the exam :confused:
Hmmm. What are you hoping for in august (grade)

I've already got an A* - did the exam in January. I got 169/175 - this is AQA by the way. And I'm currently doing Further maths on AQA and hoping for an A^ (A* with Distinction).
Reply 64
I've already got an A* - did the exam in January. I got 169/175 - this is AQA by the way. And I'm currently doing Further maths on AQA and hoping for an A^ (A* with Distinction).

So what advice would you give for me since my exam is in a few weeks (11th and 14th) in terms of revision. I pretty much know enough to get me an a*, just silly mistakes like rounding errors that are loosing me marks.
Reply 65
Original post by m4ths/maths247
I never like to predict what is going to be on the paper.
I appreciate students like to know though!

With my pupils sitting them exam I am going to find what I believe are 100 of the more challenging A and A* questions and get them to see how many they can get and email me the answers.

Revision should be suited to you whether that is past papers, books, study groups, parental/teacher support, videos or a chat forum.

I would say though there is a difference between revision and needing to learn a topic and from experience some students could spend more time grasping the understanding of a topic (or two) instead of just hoping they get the past paper question right or it doesn't come up!

I am up to 2 questions out of the 100 so far and will write some nasty ones:devil::devil::devil: to really push the A/A* students.

Hey, could you send me the questions through message as well please? I am really trying to push myself for this exam, and aiming for an A/A*.
:smile:
So what advice would you give for me since my exam is in a few weeks (11th and 14th) in terms of revision. I pretty much know enough to get me an a*, just silly mistakes like rounding errors that are loosing me marks.

What I may suggest is mainly take your time in the exam, you have a ridiculous amount of time in the exam. And for revision, mainly do questions if you know all the stuff - I know I did past papers for basically all of my revision.
I never like to predict what is going to be on the paper.
I appreciate students like to know though!

With my pupils sitting them exam I am going to find what I believe are 100 of the more challenging A and A* questions and get them to see how many they can get and email me the answers.

Revision should be suited to you whether that is past papers, books, study groups, parental/teacher support, videos or a chat forum.

I would say though there is a difference between revision and needing to learn a topic and from experience some students could spend more time grasping the understanding of a topic (or two) instead of just hoping they get the past paper question right or it doesn't come up!

I am up to 2 questions out of the 100 so far and will write some nasty ones:devil::devil::devil: to really push the A/A* students.

Would you be able to message them to me too? I'm really trying to get myself an A/A* :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
See the post above :smile:

Hey, just wondering, on what paper is cumulative frequency most likely to come up? (Paper 1 or 2)??
Original post by tohaaaa
Hey, just wondering, on what paper is cumulative frequency most likely to come up? (Paper 1 or 2)??

Depends on the values they use.
I would say more likely to be a calculator question but I'm not sure it matters as such. :smile:
Original post by tohaaaa

Cumulative Frequency comes up on both papers, but from what I saw with my paper it come up on the calculator as the figures were more complicated. My advice is treat it as if you're revising for only one paper because apart from trigonometry and pythagoras they mix and match whatever they like.
Reply 71
Cumulative Frequency comes up on both papers, but from what I saw with my paper it come up on the calculator as the figures were more complicated. My advice is treat it as if you're revising for only one paper because apart from trigonometry and pythagoras they mix and match whatever they like.

I guess, but you can put pythagoras on a non calculator paper if you use easy figures :P, same with basic trig.

(Or, the could ask us to work out an area of a triangle with SinC being 30? As the sin of 30 is a half).....

I doubt they would do that though :P
See the post above :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trig and Pythagoras (as stated in a post above mine) could come up on a non calc paper.
They may give you a pythagorian triple, a question with an answer as a surd or give you an exact value for the cosine or sine of an angle.

I agree though, treat maths as one big picture :smile:
Trig and Pythagoras (as stated in a post above mine) could come up on a non calc paper.
They may give you a pythagorian triple, a question with an answer as a surd or give you an exact value for the cosine or sine of an angle.

Yeah I said that too earlier :biggrin: Just act as if it's just one exam if i'm honest though - I did that and got what i wanted :/
Reply 75

Hi Sir, would you reply to my public message about the exam question?
(edited 10 years ago)
what paper would you compare our exam with, what paper is it likely to be like?
Hi Sir, would you reply to my public message about the exam question?

I shall give you a starting point:

Pythagoras. Have a go and then if you haven't nailed it I will do something.

The last part can be done a fair few different ways.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Captain Anonymous
My weak point is basically: functions of graphs and proving things using algebra. What about everyone else?

Sameeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 79
I shall give you a starting point:

Pythagoras. Have a go and then if you haven't nailed it I will do something.

The last part can be done a fair few different ways.

Hi sir, thank you for the hint ,but, question b and c are completely throwing me. Tried pythagoras, but I dont see whats equal to each other ( as the question asks you to show that 2a+2b+1=2c). Ive tried similar triangles.. everything! I know the answer will be something staring me in the face but at the moment i cant see it :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending