The Student Room Group

Edexcel: 11th and 14th June 2013 (Linear) 1MA0/1H + 2H (Official Thread)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by organism
Hi sir, thank you for the hint ,but, question b and c are completely throwing me. Tried pythagoras, but I dont see whats equal to each other ( as the question asks you to show that 2a+2b+1=2c). Ive tried similar triangles.. everything! I know the answer will be something staring me in the face but at the moment i cant see it :frown:

Triangle (1)

a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (call this equation 1)

Triangle (2)

(a+1)^2 + (b+1)^2 = (c+1)^2 (call this equation 2)

Now expand the backets on equation 2
You know from equation 1 c^2 = a^2 + b^2
Substitute that expression in for c^2 in equation 2
Tidy up

Last part:
I can think of 3 different ways:

(1) The RHS of the equation must be odd as 2(a+b) +1 is odd
and the LHS of the equation is even as 2c is even.

Therefore they cannot be integers

(2) divide both sides by 2 and factor:
(a+b) +1/2 = c
If c is an integer than a + b can't be (or similar)/

(3) rearrange to give (c-b-a)=1/2
3 integers can't sum to give a non integer value.
Original post by have_faith010309
Sameeeeeeeeeeeeee

Have a go at some of the questions in the 100 Hard GCSE questions.
Lot's on both topics in there.
Original post by m4ths/maths247

hi im retaking this exam to try and push for an A *fingers crossed*

I haven't really done loads of revision up to now cos im doing my AS exams too so what do u recommend i do to revise for the next 12 days or so?

many thanks :smile:
Original post by ThePremierLeague
hi im retaking this exam to try and push for an A *fingers crossed*

I haven't really done loads of revision up to now cos im doing my AS exams too so what do u recommend i do to revise for the next 12 days or so?

many thanks :smile:

Revision differs for each student IMO.
If you are happy with all topics then past papers could be a good idea.
If though there are topics you either need to learn or revise go back and work on those.
How you revise is also very personal. Some students will like videos, some like book work and others like to 'measure' themselves against past paper grade boundaries.
One size doesn't fit all.
I used to happily sit and do 8-10 past papers back to back :confused::confused: on the day before. That is certainly not ideal for many.
I learn by self teaching and having lot's of different books to read from.
Find what works for you but do something other than putting a revision timetable together. :wink: (which is what many students seem to do when they don't quite know what revision to do!)
As Nike say.....Just do it.
Good luck with your exams.
My teacher hasn't taught me surds so I'm trying to learn it myself, but its so confusing? I keep forgetting all the rules and I keep getting the answers wrong! Jfhsgsjjshs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I've already got an A, but it seems to me,apart from because of the two topics being my weaknesses, I keep loosing daft marks like I got pretty much everything correct, but not getting all the marks. For example 2/3 4/5 3/5 and such. It's pretty annoying and I don't know why :confused:

Will be re-sitting the exam this month to go for an A* fingers crossed!
Reply 86
Triangle (1)

a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (call this equation 1)

Triangle (2)

(a+1)^2 + (b+1)^2 = (c+1)^2 (call this equation 2)

Now expand the backets on equation 2
You know from equation 1 c^2 = a^2 + b^2
Substitute that expression in for c^2 in equation 2
Tidy up

Last part:
I can think of 3 different ways:

(1) The RHS of the equation must be odd as 2(a+b) +1 is odd
and the LHS of the equation is even as 2c is even.

Therefore they cannot be integers

(2) divide both sides by 2 and factor:
(a+b) +1/2 = c
If c is an integer than a + b can't be (or similar)/

(3) rearrange to give (c-b-a)=1/2
3 integers can't sum to give a non integer value.

Haha oh my god, thank you so much! I can see now where i should have gone. I had some of your above working, but i couldnt focus it onto a particular end point of my calculations. If you dont mind, or if you have time, would you mind making a video on it. It would really help me and im sure others may have had similar issues.

Thanks so much!
Original post by organism
Haha oh my god, thank you so much! I can see now where i should have gone. I had some of your above working, but i couldnt focus it onto a particular end point of my calculations. If you dont mind, or if you have time, would you mind making a video on it. It would really help me and im sure others may have had similar issues.

Thanks so much!

You are welcome.
Good luck with the exam. :smile:
Revision differs for each student IMO.
If you are happy with all topics then past papers could be a good idea.
If though there are topics you either need to learn or revise go back and work on those.
How you revise is also very personal. Some students will like videos, some like book work and others like to 'measure' themselves against past paper grade boundaries.
One size doesn't fit all.
I used to happily sit and do 8-10 past papers back to back :confused::confused: on the day before. That is certainly not ideal for many.
I learn by self teaching and having lot's of different books to read from.
Find what works for you but do something other than putting a revision timetable together. :wink: (which is what many students seem to do when they don't quite know what revision to do!)
As Nike say.....Just do it.
Good luck with your exams.

thanks for the reply
do u by any chance know what/where i can find the exam spec for the 1MAOH papers on 11th and 14th?
thanks for the reply
do u by any chance know what/where i can find the exam spec for the 1MAOH papers on 11th and 14th?

Here:

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse10/maths/maths-a/Pages/default.aspx

thank you!! (major + rep)

don't suppose you have access to the edexcel past papers in that section? as im revising currently from aqa papers lol

thanks again
Reply 91
thank you!! (major + rep)

don't suppose you have access to the edexcel past papers in that section? as im revising currently from aqa papers lol

thanks again

http://www.edexcelmathspapers.tk/
This website has all the past papers for this spec since 2009
What does everyone think will be the A\ A* topics that will come up on the calculator paper?

Also what other things do you reckon are likely to appear ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
I'm taking this exam and it is my first time. I would like an A* but will most likely get an A :frown: which is a bad thing
Original post by w0tSuhail
I'm taking this exam and it is my first time. I would like an A* but will most likely get an A :frown: which is a bad thing

Same with me :s-smilie:, its not bad though
Reply 95
Original post by Captain Anonymous
What does everyone think will be the A\ A* topics that will come up on the calculator paper?

Also what other things do you reckon are likely to appear ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully a quadratic simultaneous equation :3, or a multi-step trig question!
quadratic simultaneous equation is cool (y), multi-step trig question? :s-smilie: on a non-calculator paper?
would you say our exam is likely to be like the June 2012 paper or March 2013 paper???
Reply 98
Original post by Captain Anonymous
would you say our exam is likely to be like the June 2012 paper or March 2013 paper???

I think it will be the June 2013 paper, if I'm perfectly honest :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

P.S. You forgot November.
Reply 99
Hello, what sort of topics do you think will come up on the non calculator paper? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending