The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Problem 202: *
Just a bit of fun. Really not very difficult, but it looks nice :tongue:
Find:
1xln(x)ln(ln(x)) dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{x\ln(x)\ln(\ln(x))} \ dx

And hence evaluate:

eeeee1xln(x)ln(ln(x)) dx\displaystyle\int^{e^{e^e}}_{e^e} \dfrac{1}{x\ln(x)\ln(\ln(x))} \ dx
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bananarama2

=[xarcsin(x1x)]01/201/2x12xdx= \left[x\arcsin \left( \frac{x}{1-x} \right) \right]_0^{1/2} - \int_0^{1/2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-2x}}dx (*)

I left out the sub and rearrangement. I completely understand why LOTF does it now. Ask if you want.

Footnote: The only stats I know is S1 and that from reading about QM, so I just basically made it up from what I know :teehee:

I used IBP as well. Couple of questions/comments:

1) On the line I've added (*) to, haven't you missed out a factor of (1-x) on the denominator.
2) Whilst you might not want to write out the entire sub, just stating which substitution you've used (In this case u2=12x u^2=1-2x ) might be nice for readers.

(Also, I just realised - I forgot that the integral should have a factor of 2 added to it (From the initial uniform distribution of x) so the answer is actually supposed to be double what I stated. :O )
Original post by DJMayes
I used IBP as well. Couple of questions/comments:

1) On the line I've added (*) to, haven't you missed out a factor of (1-x) on the denominator.
2) Whilst you might not want to write out the entire sub, just stating which substitution you've used (In this case u2=12x u^2=1-2x ) might be nice for readers.

(Also, I just realised - I forgot that the integral should have a factor of 2 added to it (From the initial uniform distribution of x) so the answer is actually supposed to be double what I stated. :O )

I'll fix that, It's because I made a mistake when I did it on the whiteboard and copied the wrong things down :tongue:

Okay :tongue:

I did wonder, because there are two halfs? I wasn't confident enough with my reasoning to say though.
I'll fix that, It's because I made a mistake when I did it on the whiteboard and copied the wrong things down :tongue:

Okay :tongue:

I did wonder, because there are two halfs? I wasn't confident enough with my reasoning to say though.

It's because you have to take the shorter half, so it's uniformly distributed between 0 and 1/2. The probability density function of this is therefore 2, which gives an extra factor of 2 when doing the integral. The problem was, I moved it to the outside and then had all the integration to do, but forgot to move it back in by the time the integration was done. :lol:
Original post by DJMayes
It's because you have to take the shorter half, so it's uniformly distributed between 0 and 1/2. The probability density function of this is therefore 2, which gives an extra factor of 2 when doing the integral. The problem was, I moved it to the outside and then had all the integration to do, but forgot to move it back in by the time the integration was done. :lol:

Yeh, yeh that's what I meant. It was the initial " x<0.5 malarkey" I had to think about most. For some reason stats just doesn't click with me at all.
Reply 1265
Yeh, yeh that's what I meant. It was the initial " x<0.5 malarkey" I had to think about most. For some reason stats just doesn't click with me at all.

Don't worry, every 6 in 3 people aren't good at statistics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Problem 202: *
Just a bit of fun. Really not very difficult, but it looks nice :tongue:
Find:
1xln(x)ln(ln(x)) dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{x\ln(x)\ln(\ln(x))} \ dx

And hence evaluate:

eeeee1xln(x)ln(ln(x)) dx\displaystyle\int^{e^{e^e}}_{e^e} \dfrac{1}{x\ln(x)\ln(\ln(x))} \ dx

Solution 202:

Lety=lnx Let y = lnx

dy=1x dx dy = \dfrac{1}{x} \ dx

1xln(x)ln(ln(x)) dx=1ylny dy \Rightarrow \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{x\ln(x)\ln(\ln(x))} \ dx = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{ylny} \ dy

Let u=lny u = lny

du=1y dy du = \dfrac{1}{y} \ dy

I=1u du \Rightarrow I = \int \dfrac{1}{u} \ du

=lnu+c = lnu + c

=ln(lny)+c = ln(lny)+c

=ln(ln(lnx))+c = ln(ln(lnx)) + c

Plugging in limits, we get 1.
Original post by DJMayes
Solution 202:

Lety=lnx Let y = lnx

dy=1x dx dy = \dfrac{1}{x} \ dx

1xln(x)ln(ln(x)) dx=1ylny dy \Rightarrow \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{x\ln(x)\ln(\ln(x))} \ dx = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{ylny} \ dy

Let u=lny u = lny

du=1y dy du = \dfrac{1}{y} \ dy

I=1u du \Rightarrow I = \int \dfrac{1}{u} \ du

=lnu+c = lnu + c

=ln(lny)+c = ln(lny)+c

=ln(ln(lnx))+c = ln(ln(lnx)) + c

Plugging in limits, we get 1.

Nice :smile: I used the sub u=ln(ln(x))u=\ln(\ln(x)) but it all amounts to the same thing :smile:
Solution 202

By inspection, or letting u=ln(ln(x))u=ln(ln(x)), the answer is

ln(ln(ln(x)))ln(ln(ln(x)))

The definite integral is then ln(2).
Original post by james22
Solution 202

By inspection, or letting u=ln(ln(x))u=ln(ln(x)), the answer is

ln(ln(ln(x)))ln(ln(ln(x)))

The definite integral is then ln(2).

I think you may have made a mistake :s-smilie:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+1%2F%28xln%28x%29ln%28lnx%29%29+between+e^e+and+e^%28e^e%29

Fair enough :lol:
what language is this
must be spanish
maybe french
I completely understand why LOTF does it now.

Maybe one day, you'll agree on the beauty of this as well...

a,bNa,b\in\mathbb{N}

When a2+b21+ab\dfrac{a^2+b^2}{1+ab} an integer, it is a perfect square.

Spoiler

(by the way I am not posting this as a problem for the thread)
Original post by Abdullahi_3487
what language is this
must be spanish
maybe french

This beautiful language is maths, one day I hope to speak it as well as LotF, if that is possible :lol:
Reply 1275
Original post by Lord of the Flies

a,bNa,b\in\mathbb{N}

Spoiler

Just curious, to prove this would it be a **/*** problem?

Edit: Also, why doesn't your picture have a Euro coin falling towards the Eastern side? :colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
I like the way my problems stir up so much trouble :tongue:
Original post by Zakee
Just curious, to prove this would it be a **/*** problem?

It is a */**, but a difficult one.

(the joke was that it requires a mathematical argument which I love and which bananarama despises - I'll let you figure out what it is from the picture)
(edited 10 years ago)
It is a */**, but a difficult one.

(the joke was that it requires a mathematical argument which I love and which bananarama despises - I'll let you figure out what it is from the picture)

Spoiler

Reply 1279

a,bNa,b\in\mathbb{N}

Spoiler

Infinite Descent?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest