The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4640
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Region 0 anime DVDs are usually (not always, but usually) knock-offs, either DVD rips of the official US releases, or dodgy HK subs.

Looking through the other things this seller is offering, I notice they have Gundam AGE with Malay, Chinese and 'English' subs... seems a bit dubious to me.

Original post by QHF
Yeah, as per AngryJellyfish's reply, it looks fishy to me. Unfortunately, the chances are that someone with legal copies of those DVD collections to sell who's savvy enough to sell them online will do a price check and work out that they can set the price high; if it looks to good to be true it probably is.

Yeah I thought as much :frown: Gurren Lagann is now out of print since Bandai's gone bust, though I can get a used copy on ebay for £35. Aniplex is releasing their own Blu-Ray version with TONNES of extras which I would buy in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the eye watering price (plus it's not released in UK yet). Here is what their release will contain:

Product Details
■Includes 15 discs! (10 Blu-ray discs + 5 CDs)
■Regenerated to HD format (except for live action footages, OVA episode)
■27 Episodes and an unaired Ep.6
■TV Textless Openings and Endings
■The Movie –Childhood’s End- (Japanese, English subtitles)
■The Movie –The Lights in the Sky Are Stars- (Japanese, English subtitles)
■The Movie Textless Endings
■Gurren Lagann Parallel Works (Music Videos)
■Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 2 (Music Videos)
■Gurren Lagann Kirameki☆Yoko Box –Pieces of sweet stars- (“S*t*a*S” PV)
■Eve of Gurren Lagann the Movie (Movie Event footage, Special Drama “Viral’s Sweet Dream”)
■OVA Ep.5.5 “My Gurren is Shiny!!” (included in DS Game Soft “Gurren Lagann”)

Bonus Special Feautre Materials
■”Yoko Goes to GAINAX –Study Animation at GAINAX-“
■”It’s Summertime! Drills! Gurren Lagann Festival!!”
■SAZIGEN 3DCG Test Animation Footages
■Interview with Marina Inoue (the voice of Yoko)
■”Believe in the answer that you believe in!! Gurren Lagann Quiz Contest!”
■The Movie –Childhood’s End- Premier Event Documentary
■The Movie –The Lights in the Sky Are Stars- Premier Event Documentary
■”VOICES –Testimony of 26 people-“ (Staff Interviews)
■Exclusive Drama CD “Otoko no Jouken (Conditions of a Man)! Gurren Lagann” written by Kazuki Nakashima (Screenplay)
■“Otoko Ippiki (Lone Man) Gurren Lagann” (TV Series DVD Bonus Drama CD)
■“Otoko Doahou (Fool Man) Gurren Lagann” (the 1st Movie DVD Bonus Drama CD)
■“Otoko Gumi Dayo (Men’s Team) Gurren Lagann” ((the 2nd Movie DVD Bonus Drama CD)
■Original Sound Source of “Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 2” and “Kirameki☆Yoko Box –Pieces of sweet stars-“

Special Package & Bonus Materials
■Exclusive digipaks newly illustrated by Atsushi Nishigori (Character Design)
■Exclusive box newly illustrated by You Yoshinari (Mechanical Design)
■Hard cover book of enormous production materials including never-published initial conceptual art
■Illustration Book: cover art illustrated by Hiroyuki Imaishi (Director)

They'll be selling it at $670 but their "sale price" is $550 - that's roughly £370! It really gets me angry that Aniplex can do this, I mean their bonus extra's are second to none but seriously, who has over £350 to spend on some blu rays?!
I've got A LOT of anime now, like, 160GB?

I'm really surprised at how Japanese people can make a character so unlikable, there are just some huge fags in anime (eg, that guy with the bowl cut in Accel World)

Posted from TSR Mobile
E.g. Sasuke from naruto, that punk. Come out of nowhere saying u wanna be hokage. Get outta here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I've got A LOT of anime now, like, 160GB?

*has 420 GB in his 'unwatched' folder alone* :flute:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
*has 420 GB in his 'unwatched' folder alone* :flute:

Oh, in that case I have like 80GB xD
Reply 4645
Original post by Naami
They'll be selling it at $670 but their "sale price" is $550 - that's roughly £370! It really gets me angry that Aniplex can do this, I mean their bonus extra's are second to none but seriously, who has over £350 to spend on some blu rays?!

I share your frustration, but I can see why they're doing it. There's something of a trend for super-high (or rather, Japanese-level) pricing in North America. They reckon they can pull a decent amount of money out of the hard core of fans who have money to spare and will buy whatever the price (especially if they pack it with extras), and I sense that they're giving up on courting the average fan. As a bonus, setting the price around the same level as it is in Japan solves the reverse import problem, which I'm told is a big worry for the suits in Japan (and does happen, even for UK releases).

But yeah, it's frustrating.
So I downloaded History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi and it's in 4:3, fml
Where do you download anime?
Original post by electro14
E.g. Sasuke from naruto, that punk. Come out of nowhere saying u wanna be hokage. Get outta here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My god, I know! Complete 360, Sasu's brain is just like a 10000 piece puzzle with too many missing pieces
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4649
Original post by QHF
I share your frustration, but I can see why they're doing it. There's something of a trend for super-high (or rather, Japanese-level) pricing in North America. They reckon they can pull a decent amount of money out of the hard core of fans who have money to spare and will buy whatever the price (especially if they pack it with extras), and I sense that they're giving up on courting the average fan. As a bonus, setting the price around the same level as it is in Japan solves the reverse import problem, which I'm told is a big worry for the suits in Japan (and does happen, even for UK releases).

But yeah, it's frustrating.

*Sigh* It makes it a bit hard to tell anime fans to support the industry and go out and buy a DVD copy when the industry itself is extorting the fans. I mean, I consider myself a pretty dedicated fan, but I'm nowhere near as stupid to spend that obscene amount of money. Anyone who does spend that amount has no sense at all.

Also found out they'll be setting the price of the Madoka Magica movies to about $100. Which is pretty astonishing seeing as I bought the blu ray series for about £20 last week :/
Reply 4650
Original post by Naami
*Sigh* It makes it a bit hard to tell anime fans to support the industry and go out and buy a DVD copy when the industry itself is extorting the fans. I mean, I consider myself a pretty dedicated fan, but I'm nowhere near as stupid to spend that obscene amount of money. Anyone who does spend that amount has no sense at all.

I know. But -- while I'm certainly not going to declare fansubs an unadulterated evil or blame piracy for everything -- when you look at the NA anime scene, where anime cons having growing, enthusiastic attendances while the actual selling-anime industry limps along,* I think you can see why a company might conclude that persuading anime fans to support the industry has failed and that the way forward is to build a smaller, tougher business around gouging the small group of fans who are both rich and fanatical. Not to say it's necessarily a good decision, but I can see why someone might reach it.

TTGL blurays aren't medicines or food or what-have-you, so (you could argue) there isn't really a moral aspect to their pricing: if Aniplex feel they can persuade enough people to buy at $550 that they'll make the profit they want, settng that price doesn't really make them evil extortionists. (The inner crypto-Marxist I inherited from my father is whispering 'Welcome to late capitalism.')

* I hear part of this growth is fans of slightly different things like Homestuck. cf. the way that anime conventions grew out of anime fans going to more general sf conventions. And of course more generally a lot of con attendance is about having a chance to be an enthusiastically nerdy teenager around other similar people -- not a concept directly linked to buying anime. But this is by-the-by.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4651
In my opinion it's not just the anime industry, though they are worse for it, but most entertainment industries. Charging £15 for a dvd in general is ridiculous, as is £35+ for a game. If the industries just lowered the initial cost more people would buy and they could just sell collector editions for those rich fans who are willing to pay for it. They may make less per sale but more in total.
Hey guys I was just wandering if any of you know of an anime like Kuroko no Basket? Pretty much my favourite anime atm not only because of the sports but he way it has that school life and outside life feeling i.e. when Kagami bumps into Kuroko in the fast food restaurant numerous times.
If anyone has some suggestions that'd be helpful :yep:
Original post by F_shakeey
Hey guys I was just wandering if any of you know of an anime like Kuroko no Basket? Pretty much my favourite anime atm not only because of the sports but he way it has that school life and outside life feeling i.e. when Kagami bumps into Kuroko in the fast food restaurant numerous times.

Slam Dunk? It's old but still hilarious :biggrin:
Reply 4654
The Urobutcher rears his glorious head in the latest Gargantia, and makes all the swimsuit episodes worth it.
Reply 4655

I'd really recommend Big Windup! It's about baseball and the team spirit is amazing in this show as well as the intensity of the matches (just like Kuroko). I found myself shouting at the screen when watching some of the matches :')
(edited 10 years ago)
Who watches hunter x hunter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lighterthanAyer
Slam Dunk? It's old but still hilarious :biggrin:

Yeah I've heard about that one, another one on my to watch list :yep:

Original post by Naami
I'd really recommend Big Windup! It's about baseball and the team spirit is amazing in this show as well as the intensity of the matches (just like Kuroko). I found myself shouting at the screen when watching some of the matches :')

Ah thanks for the suggestion, does it have a similar school life aspect to Kuroko no Basket? I don't know what it is but the storyline and characters are so damn cool. Can't wait for season 2 to see Akashi and his emperor eye :awesome:
Reply 4658
Yeah I've heard about that one, another one on my to watch list :yep:

Ah thanks for the suggestion, does it have a similar school life aspect to Kuroko no Basket? I don't know what it is but the storyline and characters are so damn cool. Can't wait for season 2 to see Akashi and his emperor eye :awesome:

Hmm they don't show them in school a lot if that's what you mean but it does revolve around high school boys and there is plenty of comedic moments :biggrin: And yeah I can't wait either lol, been reading the manga though haven't reached the bit where they properly introduce Akashi (I'm around ch.95)
Original post by Naami
Hmm they don't show them in school a lot if that's what you mean but it does revolve around high school boys and there is plenty of comedic moments :biggrin: And yeah I can't wait either lol, been reading the manga though haven't reached the bit where they properly introduce Akashi (I'm around ch.95)

Hmm I might check it out. I enjoy the shcol life aspect but alos the comedic side to it all.
Ahh so you're not up to date. Well you'll soon meet them all in the next 20 odd chapters and see akashi in play around 160~ :yep:

Latest