The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zakee
Just for anyone who's doing any late night Mathematics/Studying/Procrastination (the most likely option), here's a small meme to cheer you up:

Unfortunately that is incorrect, because the LOTF is very likely to be opposite but greater. :fyi:
Original post by ukdragon37
Personally I like "ansatz". :tongue:

It's a great word. I learnt it in "The Quantum Story" :tongue:
Reply 1302
Unfortunately that is incorrect, because the LOTF is very likely to be opposite but greater. :fyi:

For 'every' physicist, (the summation of all physicists) there is one Lord of the Flies who is equal to them. :wink:
Original post by Zakee
For 'every' physicist, (the summation of all physicists) there is one Lord of the Flies who is equal to them. :wink:

Then you should have used some kind of proposition involving "all" rather than "every", and even then it's still probably greater. :nah:
I wonder how physicsy I can make the questions before you all throw me out.... :tongue:
Reply 1305
Then you should have used some kind of proposition involving "all" rather than "every", and even then it's still probably greater. :nah:

It wouldn't fit, you pernickety plop. :colonhash:

You're being ignominiously pedantic. Like that word? Take it! Do your dissertation. *prods*. :creep:
Reply 1306
Original post by bananarama2
I wonder how physicsy I can make the questions before you all throw me out.... :tongue:

I actually enjoy Mathematical Physics. I'm more of an applied Mathematician than anything (if I could even call myself a mathematician with the morsel that I know. :tongue:)
Original post by Zakee

You're being ignominiously pedantic. :creep:

Is that the right context for that word?
Original post by Zakee

You're being ignominiously pedantic. :creep:

I might walk ignominiously away from the thread after being shunned because the physics....
Reply 1309

It can either be used for 'a shameful act'. Or 'something which deserves slander/calumny - a despicable act/one which can be reprimanded'. It is, as his views are reprehensible (those views being so pedantic). :argh:
Original post by Zakee
It can either be used for 'a shameful act'. Or 'something which deserves slander/calumny - a despicable act/one which can be reprimanded'. It is, as his views are reprehensible (those views being so pedantic). :argh:

Fair enough, I'm not sure I'd use it like that if it were me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1311
Fair enough, I'm not sure I'd use it like that if it were me.

How would you use it? (See below).

Merriam-Webster
His crimes were ignominious; he had dropped a coin from the Eiffel tower and it had landed West of its original position.

I might walk ignominiously away from the thread after being shunned because the physics....

Original post by Zakee
How would you use it? (See below).

Merriam-Webster
His crimes were ignominious; he had dropped a coin from the Eiffel tower and it had landed West of its original position.

See above. I edited my post whilst you were typing :tongue:
Original post by Zakee
(those views being so pedantic). :argh:

Welcome to TSR, we are more inclined to pedantry as a guilty pleasure than most :wink:

Mwahahaha I appear to have trained an army of talented mathmos to prod you to write your dissertation.

Spoiler

Original post by shamika
Mwahahaha I appear to have trained an army of talented mathmos to prod you to write your dissertation.

Spoiler

And it's not working :wink:

Spoiler

Quite an erroneous post!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FireGarden
Disproof 39

The proposition: p(x)+p(x)p(x)+p(x), x    p(x)0 xp(x)+p'''(x)\geq p'(x)+p''(x),\ \forall x \implies p(x)\geq 0 \ \forall x

It's contrapositive: p(x)<0 x    p(x)+p(x)<p(x)+p(x), x p(x) < 0 \ \forall x \implies p(x)+p'''(x) < p'(x)+p''(x),\ \forall x

Are you sure that's the contrapositive?

Spoiler

REPOSTED: Darn TSR not working.
edit: yeah, don't worry.. being a moron..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FireGarden
If a statement is "p(x)0 xp(x) \geq 0 \ \forall x", then why wouldn't the negation be "p(x)<0 xp(x) < 0 \ \forall x"? I don't see how/where exists should come into it..

The negation of any statement of the form x.ϕ(x)\forall x. \phi\left(x\right) is ¬x.ϕ(x)\neg\forall x. \phi\left(x\right), which is equivalent to x.¬ϕ(x)\exists x. \neg \phi\left(x\right). However here you have x.¬ϕ(x)\forall x. \neg \phi\left(x\right), which is not equivalent. Example:

"Not all students on TSR are mathematicians."

is not equivalent to

"All students on TSR are not mathematicians."

EDIT: saw your edit :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest