The Student Room Group

ocr a f325 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3080
june 2012..Q6d? ....explanation pls?...
Original post by Nuna
any tips on what will most likely be the big markers?

I am expecting the usual massive hard question in the same kind of style as the last question of Jan 2013. Other than that, it is anyone's guess. Personally I would like a nice large question on rates/using tables to determine Kc.
Original post by Nuna
june 2012..Q6d? ....explanation pls?...

Cr has a more negative electrode potential, meaning it is more likely to be oxidised. The next mark is unintuitive, and I would not have got it- you had to simply show the direction of the half equations, Cr shifting to the left to form electrons/ion and Cu shifting to the right forming Cu from the ion and electons.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3083
Original post by galacticfear
Cr has a more negative electrode potential, meaning it is more likely to be oxidised. The next mark is unintuitive, and I would not have got it- you had to simply show the direction of the half equations, Cr shifting to the left to form electrons/ion and Cu shifting to the right forming Cu from the ion and electons.

oops..I meant jan 2012, Q6d ..sorry...?
Original post by Nuna
oops..I meant jan 2012, Q6d ..sorry...?

Whenever there is an entropy question I start by laying out the formula (delta)G = (delta)H - T(delta)S. The equation shows us that we are going from more moles of gas to fewer. Therefore the entropy must be negative. At low temperature the magnitude of T(delta)S is less significant than the value of (delta)H, therefore (delta)G is negative. Opposite occurs at high temperatures.
Reply 3085
Whenever there is an entropy question I start by laying out the formula (delta)G = (delta)H - T(delta)S. The equation shows us that we are going from more moles of gas to fewer. Therefore the entropy must be negative. At low temperature the magnitude of T(delta)S is less significant than the value of (delta)H, therefore (delta)G is negative. Opposite occurs at high temperatures.

?..
Original post by Nuna
?..

2SO2(g) + O2(g) -> 2SO3(g)

2______ 1_____ 2

Therefore 3 -> 2 gas molecules.
Reply 3087
2SO2(g) + O2(g) -> 2SO3(g)

2______ 1_____ 2

Therefore 3 -> 2 gas molecules.

of course...tiredness has taken my common sense out of me, Thank you
Original post by Nuna
of course...tiredness has taken my common sense out of me, Thank you

Speaking of which I am going to pack it in now, and get 3 hours sleep... I am sure if I just blag my way through I will do OK. Goodnight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3089
Speaking of which I am going to pack it in now, and get 3 hours sleep... I am sure if I just blag my way through I will do OK. Goodnight.

I'm sure you will do great...thank you so much for all the help, all the best for tomorrow
Cramming done just need to go over the titrations section and re read that word doc notes, sleep now chem will be hell

Posted from TSR Mobile
An unusual compound of iron has been detected on the surface of the planet Mars. This compound contains the ferrate(VI) ion.
A student uses 1.00 g of iron(III) oxide and makes, on crystallisation, 0.450 g of sodium ferrate(VI), Na2FeO4.
Calculate the percentage yield, by mass, of sodium ferrate(VI).
Show your working.

cN ANYONE HELP
Original post by eggfriedrice
They have to be in standard conditions, so higher temperature would increase rate of reaction (kinetics) making it non standard. Increasing a concentration would shift the equilibrium one way hence increasing or decreasing the Ecell value.

Original post by A-New-Start
yeah exactly sometimes we do have to multiply by 3 and divide by 3 : therefore effectively the no of of I2 is same as no of mol of Cu2+

ok i show it like this

there are two equations

2Cu2+ + 4I- --> 2CuI + I2

and then the titration step:

2S2O3 2- + I2 --> 2I- + S4O6 2-

now here if we know no of mol of I2 in titration step: we just backtrack to the previous step which also has I2 and hence no of mol of Cu2+ = no of mol of I2 - however imagine if in the first step there was a 3I2 - so then do you multiply by 3 and then divide by 2/3 to get no of mol of Cu2+ ?

Original post by AyshaK
Fuel cell produce electrical current as long as fuel and oxidant supplied.
In a hydrogen and oxygen fuel cell:

1/2 O2 + H2 ---> H20
To get this overall equation 2 half equations are involved
2H20 + 2e- ---> H2 + 2OH-
2e- + 1/2 O2 + H2O ---> 2OH-

Some fuel cells use hydrogen rich fuels such as ethanol or methanol and you might need to know the equations:

CH3CH2OH + 3H2O ---> 2CO2 + 12H+ + 12E-
3O2 + 12H+ + 12E- ---> 6H2O
= C2H5OH + 3O2 ---> 2CO2 + 3H20
quick questions guys, im really finding pH of buffers hard, which formula should i remember?
[H+] = Ka x [HA]/[A-] or
pH = pKa + log[A-]/[HA] ??
Original post by master y
An unusual compound of iron has been detected on the surface of the planet Mars. This compound contains the ferrate(VI) ion.
A student uses 1.00 g of iron(III) oxide and makes, on crystallisation, 0.450 g of sodium ferrate(VI), Na2FeO4.
Calculate the percentage yield, by mass, of sodium ferrate(VI).
Show your working.

cN ANYONE HELP

% yield is actual over theoretical isnt it?
so you just do moles of sodium ferrate over moles of iron oxide assuming they are 1 to 1 ratio and times by 100
what is the equation when OH is the subject of your formula ?
Original post by bmpink
Someone please help me! I'm being stupid but for some reason I just can't see the answer.

The student adds 50cm3 of 0.250moldm-3 butanoic acid to 50cm3 of 0.05moldm-3 sodium hydroxide. Calculate the pH of this buffer. Ka = 1.51 x 10^-5 moldm-3. (2d.p.s)

June 2012 :smile:

Buffers: [H+] = Ka x [Acid]/[Salt]

1.51 x 10^-5 x (0.250 / 0.05) = 7.55 x 10^-4
-log10 (7.55 x 10^-4) = 3.12 PH
Original post by Joey952
what is the equation when OH is the subject of your formula ?

[OH-] = Kw/[H+]

that one?
Original post by bmpink
Someone please help me! I'm being stupid but for some reason I just can't see the answer.

The student adds 50cm3 of 0.250moldm-3 butanoic acid to 50cm3 of 0.05moldm-3 sodium hydroxide. Calculate the pH of this buffer. Ka = 1.51 x 10^-5 moldm-3. (2d.p.s)

June 2012 :smile:

Work out moles of weak acid- work out moles of weak base. The acid should be in excess (more moles reacted)

Remeber this is a weak acid and strong base reaction, so the conjugate base is formed from the acid. So you must do moles of acid-moles of base to get new moles of acid. (keep the original moles of base for A-)

Work out new concentration by using total volume, and solve to find [H+]

-log(ans)

should be 4.22
when working out buffers do the units have to be in moles or conc
if you get an enthalpy of neutralisation question, and there are different volumes of acid and alkali, in the Q equation do you put the volume of acid reacted + the volume of alkali as m?
and what else would change? what would you divide by in Q/moles if no. of moles of acid and alkali are different???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending