The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
God this actually top the Ibra Eto'o exchange transfer.

Haha could do. We should never have given Eto and cash...
Original post by Zürich
Bet every chairman in Europe is waiting for Monaco to flash up on the caller ID...:rolleyes:

Never really had any interest in Ligue 1, but safe to say PSG/Monaco have killed it dead. Gone from one of the most open leagues in Europe to an SPL II.

Imagine if some rich oil company took over a Dutch club? :lol:

The money spinner would be fantastic for the league though. :biggrin:
Reply 462
Original post by boumavilla

It wouldn't be. :colonhash: You should be proud of how much of the league's talent is home-grown and stuff! :p:
Original post by Abiraleft
It wouldn't be. :colonhash: You should be proud of how much of the league's talent is home-grown and stuff! :p:

I am, I am. :biggrin:

That's why I watch it. :yep:

Vitesse have a rich Georgian owner but he never seems to spend money like the chicken owners at Blackburn. :mmm:
Marquinhos gone to PSG for 27 million

Pretty awesome signing tbh
Reply 465
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Marquinhos gone to PSG for 27 million

Pretty awesome signing tbh

That could well be Brazil's first-choice centre-back pairing in the World Cup next year if Marquinhos continues to impress (although it's also dependent on Dante faltering quite a lot, admittedly :colondollar:).
That could well be Brazil's first-choice centre-back pairing in the World Cup next year if Marquinhos continues to impress (although it's also dependent on Dante faltering quite a lot, admittedly :colondollar:).

Doesn't Luiz normally start for Brazil anyway haha? :tongue:
Reply 467
Original post by Malevolent
Doesn't Luiz normally start for Brazil anyway haha? :tongue:

Completely forgot about him. :facepalm2: If things go the way they have been, I think it'll be Thiago-Dante with Luiz and Marquinhos as backup.
Completely forgot about him. :facepalm2: If things go the way they have been, I think it'll be Thiago-Dante with Luiz and Marquinhos as backup.

That's some strenght in depth CB's right there. Not to mention Dede as well. :coma:
Brazil with CB's coming out of their ears and Fred and Jo as their main strikers. The thought of Brazil with a truly world class number 9 is actually quite scary.
Reply 470
Original post by doggyfizzel
Brazil with CB's coming out of their ears and Fred and Jo as their main strikers. The thought of Brazil with a truly world class number 9 is actually quite scary.

Thought of a Brazil that doesn't play Hulk :mad:
Original post by Row Z
Thought of a Brazil that doesn't play Hulk :mad:

Its a double edged sword, although he's not great and you have to put up with him for 60mins, its 60mins of tiring out the opposition fullback before Moura or Bernard tears them to shreds. I would think Hulk will struggle more than he currently does, now with Monaco he's going to be much more watchable and directly comparable to the likes of Moura, instead of living off his Porto rep.
Original post by boumavilla

I think the Ajax fans summed it up quite well:

Cant think of anything worse for Dutch football tbh. Doubt it'll ever happen, Dutch people are particularly adverse to these kinds of takeovers, even more so than the Germans. Maybe a small cash injection into say Feyenoord would liven things up as they're way off the pace tbh and Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord/Twente going all out would be brilliant. There's a purity about Dutch football though that I love. Ajax are probably too big but that comes from Amsterdam being such a dominating city in Holland.

I'd quite like a Benelux league though. With 35m odd people it could become alot more significant and maybe Ajax could make a proper challenge for the CL... :moon:

Personally I dont understand anyway who says that PSG/Monaco have been 'good for French football'. Theyve absolutely killed the fairness of a league that was the most open in Europe. Even the SPL is better because Celtic/Rangers earned their dominant position over decades rather than just throwing petrodollars at it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Was at the St.Pauli vs 1860 Munich match in Hamburg last night. The atmosphere in a 2nd division Bundesliga game is easily better than any EPL game. German football is so much better than English .
Original post by Zürich
Was at the St.Pauli vs 1860 Munich match in Hamburg last night. The atmosphere in a 2nd division Bundesliga game is easily better than any EPL game. German football is so much better than English .

I dunno. Maybe in EPL yes but I've been to some Championship/league 1 games and the fans were brilliant. Went to Elland road last season (was in the area and a mate invited me) and the fans really cheered their team on no matter what. Every end was just chanting 'Leeds, leeds, leeds' / their anthem over and over with such vehemence and always giving the players their support whatever they did.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
I dunno. Maybe in EPL yes but I've been to some Championship/league 1 games and the fans were brilliant. Went to Elland road last season (was in the area and a mate invited me) and the fans really cheered their team on no matter what. Every end was just chanting 'Leeds, leeds, leeds' / their anthem over and over with such vehemence and always giving the players their support whatever they did.

Yeah fair enough, QPR used to be like that too. Been to Elland road years ago and in fairness it was as good as anywhere ive been in England.

Big big fan of the whole continental ultras style though with choreos, flares and coordinated jumping etc. Just an unbelievable experience. Crystal Palce have an ultras scene going which is impressive so good to see them in the EPL.

Original post by Zürich
I think the Ajax fans summed it up quite well:

Cant think of anything worse for Dutch football tbh. Doubt it'll ever happen, Dutch people are particularly adverse to these kinds of takeovers, even more so than the Germans. Maybe a small cash injection into say Feyenoord would liven things up as they're way off the pace tbh and Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord/Twente going all out would be brilliant. There's a purity about Dutch football though that I love. Ajax are probably too big but that comes from Amsterdam being such a dominating city in Holland.

I'd quite like a Benelux league though. With 35m odd people it could become alot more significant and maybe Ajax could make a proper challenge for the CL... :moon:

Personally I dont understand anyway who says that PSG/Monaco have been 'good for French football'. Theyve absolutely killed the fairness of a league that was the most open in Europe. Even the SPL is better because Celtic/Rangers earned their dominant position over decades rather than just throwing petrodollars at it.

True, Dutch football is known for being home grown. Tbf, Twente have tried to spend money - and failed, last season for them was a right flop, yet they had a strong enough squad to compete for Europe in the Premier League and other competitions.

I've been part of many Benelux league discussions in the past...nobody seems to like the idea due to the finance, it could ruin Dutch and Belgium teams that would be forced to play in the second division. What's more, the Dutch teams are stronger than the Belgium teams. Also, let's not forget the poor teams from Luxembourg that would have to play in 27th division! :mmm:

In all seriousness, watch out for De Boer at Ajax, I think he's building something. :holmes:
Original post by Zürich

St.Pauli fans are pretty crazy though.

Whilst we're on 2.Bundesliga, check this cracking finish by Danny Latza for Bochum earlier. I apologise for the poor quality of video but it was the best i could find.

Reply 478
Thiago's goal today:

:coma:
Holy hell guardiola really wants to put us to sword aha what a squad. :coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest