The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smaug123
Kind of, but more flexible - I'm visualising something like the roots of a tree, stretching down, but sometimes meeting up and joining. Not just a straight binary tree, no meeting-and-joining.

So you want a dag?
Reply 2061
Original post by ukdragon37
So you want a dag?

For just a moment there, I thought you were talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH64dlgyydM
Original post by ukdragon37
So you want a dag?

That's the one - I've never done any formal graph theory, and my only graph-theoretic knowledge is "that which can easily be done in Mathematica" :P I'd forgotten the term "directed acyclic", although actually it comes up fairly often.
Solution 280

ddxarsinhx=(1+x2)12=1+(12)x2+(12)(32)(x2)22!+(binomial expansion)=1+r=1((1)rx2rr!2ri=0r1(2i+1))=1+r=1((1)rx2rr!2r(2r1)!(r1)!2r1)=1+r=1((1)rx2r4r2(2r)!2rr!(r1)!)=r=0(1)rx2r4r(2r)!(r!)2    arsinhx=r=0(1)rx2r4r(2r)!(r!)2 dx=r=0(1)r(2r)!x2r+14r(2r+1)(r!)2+C\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \frac{d}{dx} \text{arsinh} x = (1+x^2)^{- \frac{1}{2}} & = 1 + \left( - \tfrac{1}{2} \right) x^2 + \frac{ \left( - \frac{1}{2} \right) \left( - \frac{3}{2} \right) (x^2)^2}{2!} + \cdots \quad (\text{binomial expansion}) \\ & = 1 + \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{(-1)^{r} x^{2r}}{r! \cdot 2^{r}} \prod_{i=0}^{r-1} (2i + 1) \right) \\ & = 1 + \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{(-1)^{r} x^{2r}}{r! \cdot 2^{r}} \cdot \frac{(2r-1)!}{(r-1)! \cdot 2^{r-1}} \right) \\ & = 1+ \sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{(-1)^{r} x^{2r}}{4^{r}} \cdot \frac{2 \cdot (2r)!}{2r \cdot r! \cdot (r-1)!} \right)\\ & = \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{r} x^{2r}}{4^{r}} \cdot \frac{(2r)!}{(r!)^{2}} \\ \implies \text{arsinh} x & = \int \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{r} x^{2r}}{4^{r}} \cdot \frac{(2r)!}{(r!)^{2}} \ dx \\ & = \boxed{\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{r} (2r)! x^{2r+1}}{4^{r}(2r+1)(r!)^2} + \mathcal{C}} \end{aligned}

Subbing in x=0x = 0 gives C=0\mathcal{C} = 0, which yields the desired series.

I can't quite justify the interval of convergence, though :confused: I can show that it converges if x<1|x| < 1 by the ratio test but not sure how to when x=1|x| = 1
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2064
Original post by Felix Felicis
Solution 280

Nice stuff, bro! :biggrin:
I can't quite justify the interval of convergence, though :confused: I can show that it converges if x<1|x| < 1 by the ratio test but not sure how to when x=1|x| = 1

Spoiler

Reply 2065
Problem 296**

Find
0πecos(x)cos(sin(x))dx\int_0^{\pi} e^{\cos(x)}\cos(\sin(x)) dx

Quite a pretty one.

Spoiler

Original post by henpen
Problem 296**

Find
0πecos(x)cos(sin(x))dx\int_0^{\pi} e^{\cos(x)}\cos(\sin(x)) dx

Quite a pretty one.

Spoiler

Solution 296:
Unparseable latex formula:

I=\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} e^{\cos(x)}\cos(\sin(x)) dx = \Re \left(\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} e^{e^{ix}} \ dx \right)[br]\Rightarrow I= \Re \left(\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} \displaystyle\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{(e^{ix})^r}{r!} \ dx \right)=\Re \left(\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} 1+\dfrac{e^{ix}}{1!}+\dfrac{e^{2ix}}{2!}+. . . +\dfrac{e^{ikx}}{k!}+. . . \right) \ dx[br]\Rightarrow I =\Re \left[x+\dfrac{e^{ix}}{i \times 1!}+\dfrac{e^{2ix}}{2i \times 2!}+. . .+ \dfrac{e^{ikx}}{ki\times k!}+ . . .\right]^{\pi}_0[br]\Rightarrow I=\Re \left[x+\dfrac{1}{i}\displaystyle\sum_{r]^{\pi}_0[br]\Rightarrow I=\Re \left( \left( \pi-i \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{(e^{i\pi})^r}{r\times r!}\right)-\left(0-i\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{(e^{i0})^r}{r\times r!}\right) \right)[br]\Rightarrow I =\Re \left( \pi- i \left( \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{(-1)^r}{r\times r!} - \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{(1)^r}{r\times r!}\right) \right)[br]\Rightarrow I=\pi

(edited 10 years ago)
Problem 297***

Calculate the volume of the ellipsoid defined by

V:x2a2+y2b2+z2c21 V: \dfrac{x^2}{a^2} + \dfrac{y^2}{b^2} + \dfrac{z^2}{c^2} \leq 1

Where a,b,ca,b,c are positive constants.
Reply 2068
Original post by henpen
I wonder if ππeeeixdx\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} e^{e^{e^{ix}}} dx is doable.

Original post by joostan
x
Interesting stuff guys!

I have been able to do the first few cases of the generalisation and a pattern has emerged. I thought I had been able to prove the result below but, whilst Wolfram agrees with me for n=2,3,4 it doesn't for n=5.

Essentially 0πeeeix dx=πe\displaystyle \Re \int_0^{\pi} e^{e^{e^{ix}}} \ dx = \pi e and 0πeeeeix dx=πee\displaystyle \Re \int_0^{\pi} e^{e^{e^{e^{ix}}}} \ dx = \pi e^e.

I thought I had proven the generalisation though clearly I had made some mistake. I even tried n=5 separately and still got

\pi e^e^e

. Back to the drawing board:

Problem 298*

Evaluate

\displaystyle \Re \int_0^{\pi} \underbrace{{e^{e^{\cdots}^{ix}}}}_n \ dx

for n2n \ge 2 where the underbrace represents the number of times e appears in the exponentiation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2069
Original post by FireGarden
Problem 297***

Calculate the volume of the ellipsoid defined by

V:x2a2+y2b2+z2c21 V: \dfrac{x^2}{a^2} + \dfrac{y^2}{b^2} + \dfrac{z^2}{c^2} \leq 1

Where a,b,ca,b,c are positive constants.

Instead of using 'triple integration', spherical coordinates and/or complicated parametrization, I will derive the result in a way that could have been done by an A-level student.

Solution 297

We know that the area enclosed by an ellipse x2a2+y2b2=1\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 is πab\pi ab. The proof is part of the A-level specification (and is of little interest).

Rearranging the equation of the ellipsoid bounding our volume, we get x2(a1z2c2)2+y2(ab1z2c2)2=1\frac{x^2}{\left( a \sqrt{1-\frac{z^2}{c^2}} \right)^2}+\frac{y^2}{\left( ab\sqrt{1-\frac{z^2}{c^2}} \right)^2}=1.

As the volume is a dimesional extension to area as area is to length, it can be easy inferred that V=abf(z) dz\displaystyle V=\int_a^b f(z) \ dz where f(z)f(z) is the area of the ellipse contained by the surface generated at each z coordinate and a and b are the boundaries on the volume enclosed by the ellipsoid. These boundaries correspond to z=±cz= \pm c, as can be seen by setting x=y=0x=y=0 in the original equation and, using the above result, we get that f(z)=π(a1z2c2)(b1z2c2)=πab(1z2c2)f(z) = \pi \left( a \sqrt{1-\frac{z^2}{c^2}} \right) \left( b \sqrt{1-\frac{z^2}{c^2}} \right)=\pi ab \left(1-\frac{z^2}{c^2} \right). This gives:

V=πabcc1z2c2 dz=43πabc \displaystyle V = \pi ab \int_{-c}^c 1-\frac{z^2}{c^2} \ dz =\frac{4}{3} \pi abc \ \square

Note that this equation has the required a-b-c symmetry as well as the property that it reduces to the volume of a sphere when a=b=c.

Generalization:

We can now extend this method to generalise for 'volume' in n-dimensional space. Let the n-dimensional volume be denoted by VnV_n.

We define our hypothetical region as the set of points satisfying i=1nxi2ri21\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{x_i^2}{r_i^2} \le 1. We will also assume that all solutions can be expressed in the form Vn=ki=1nriV_n = k \prod_{i=1}^n r_i where k is a positive constant to be found (this assumption can be justified as valid in a number of ways).

Using our previous method, we note that the boundary can be expressed as i=1n1xi2(ri1xn2rn2)2=1\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{x_i^2}{\left( r_i \sqrt{1-\frac{x_n^2}{r_n^2}} \right)^2} =1 which gives us the following relation.

Noting that the function we are integrating is even, letting xrnxx \mapsto r_n \sqrt{x}, using Beta functions and finally the Gamma representation of the Beta function:

Vn=rnrnki=1n1ri1xn2rn2 dxn=Vn1rnrn(1xn2rn2)n12 dxn=2Vn101(1x)n12rndx2x\displaystyle \begin{aligned} V_n = \int_{-r_{n}}^{r_{n}} k \prod_{i=1}^{n-1} r_i \sqrt{1-\frac{x_n^2}{r_n^2}} \ dx_n = V_{n-1} \int_{-r_{n}}^{r_{n}} \left(1-\frac{x_n^2}{r_n^2} \right)^{\frac{n-1}{2}} \ dx_n = 2 V_{n-1} \int_0^1 (1-x)^{\frac{n-1}{2}} \frac{r_n dx}{2 \sqrt{x}} \end{aligned}
=rnVn101x12(1x)n12 dx=rnVn1B(12,n+12)=Vn1rnπΓ(n+12)Γ(1+n2)\displaystyle = r_n V_{n-1} \int_0^1 x^{- \frac{1}{2}} (1-x)^{\frac{n-1}{2}} \ dx = r_n V_{n-1} B \left(\frac{1}{2} , \frac{n+1}{2} \right) = V_{n-1} \frac{r_n \sqrt{\pi} \Gamma \left( \frac{n+1}{2} \right)}{\Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)}

Noting that the only sensible way to proceed in to let V0=1V_0=1 (again, there are various ways we can justify this claim, such as verifying that it leads to the correct values for V2V_2 and V3V_3, which it does):

Vn=V0i=1nriπΓ(n+12)Γ(1+n2)=πn/2r1r2rnΓ(1+n2) \displaystyle \Rightarrow V_n = V_0 \prod_{i=1}^n r_i \frac{\sqrt{\pi} \Gamma \left( \frac{n+1}{2} \right)}{\Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)} = \pi^{n/2} \frac{r_1 r_2 \cdots r_n}{\Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)} \ \square

Woo! This has to be one of the most beautiful results I have discovered independently! :biggrin:

Is this a well-known result? Is it correct? What you you call VnV_n? :colondollar:

Solution 299 (weak corollary)

Setting r1=r2=rn=1r_1=r_2= \cdots r_n=1 gives the required result of πn/2Γ(1+n2)\frac{\pi^{n/2}}{\Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)}.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
Instead of using 'triple integration', I will derive the result in a way that could have been done by an A-level student.

How likely are we to accept the following? :tongue:
Volume has dimension [L]^3. The only dimensioned quantities we have are a,b,c, each of dimension [L].
Since the volume clearly depends on a, b and c, and is also symmetric on transposing a,b,c, the answer is obviously fabcf abc, where f is a dimensionless function to be determined.
But since the only dimensionless quantities are constants and ratios of a,b,c (and we know that f should be invariant on cycling a,b,c, so ratios are out), we have f constant.
Now, a sphere has a=b=c, and volume 4/3 pi a^3. So f=4/3 pi.

ETA: Yes, I know that f could be (a+b+c)2a2+b2+c2\dfrac{(a+b+c)^2}{a^2+b^2+c^2}, for example, but that's too complicated, and it must be the simpler one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn
Could you verify/falsify this for me for a few values of n greater than or equal to 5 (on Mathematica) just to put my mind at ease? :colondollar:

Hmm, I'm not sure Mathematica is agreeing for n=5 - with 1000 digits of precision, it claims that the integral is

Spoiler

That is, 2*10^1656469.
I'm running it with two million digits of precision - hopefully that'll make sure we're on the right order of magnitude. (For reference, your predicted value is 1.19829*10^7)
Reply 2072
Volume has dimension [L]^3. The only dimensioned quantities we have are a,b,c, each of dimension [L].
Since the volume clearly depends on a, b and c, and is also symmetric on transposing a,b,c, the answer is obviously fabcf abc, where f is a dimensionless function to be determined.
But since the only dimensionless quantities are constants and ratios of a,b,c (and we know that f should be invariant on cycling a,b,c, so ratios are out), we have f constant.

ETA: Yes, I know that f could be (a+b+c)2a2+b2+c2\dfrac{(a+b+c)^2}{a^2+b^2+c^2}, for example, but that's too complicated, and it must be the simpler one.

I considered that but the symmetry condition and a=b=c evaluation is not sufficient to directly deduce a formula for the volume. Also, I'm certain that it constitutes A-level knowledge as it would easily fit in to a C4 or FP3 textbook as an 'extension' exercise. For example, you plot the graph of area against 3rd co-ordinate, etc.. In fact, I am definitely right as this understanding is required for both M3 and M5. :tongue:

Oh btw, I may have just generalised the method to n-dimensions. I had to use beta functions but I have reduced it to a collection of series that, if solved, will yield the necessary recurrence relation between n-dimensional 'volume' and 'n+1'-dimensional 'volume' (hypervolume? no idea..)
Hmm, I'm not sure Mathematica is agreeing for n=5 - with 1000 digits of precision, it claims that the integral is

Spoiler

That is, 2*10^1656469.
I'm running it with two million digits of precision - hopefully that'll make sure we're on the right order of magnitude. (For reference, your predicted value is 1.19829*10^7)

Ah that's what Wolfram gave. Hmm, that is rather annoying! Then again it is worth noting how spookily close that value is to

\pi e^e^e^e

(or

e^e^e^e

for that matter). :tongue:
Reply 2073

There surely is an easier way: set n1n-1 of the nn variables equal to 00, then the extremal solution for the remaining kkth variable will be equal to that dimension's semi-major/minor/in-between axis, rkr_k. Thus the unit hypersphere was stretched in that dimension by rk1\frac{r_k}{1}. The stretch multiplies the volume by a factor that is independent of the other dimensions' stretching, and the volume of the unit hypersphere is πn/2Γ(1+n2)\frac{\pi^{n/2}}{ \Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)} (Problem 299* : prove this), so the volume of the stretched hypersphere is
πn/2Γ(1+n2)k=1nrk\displaystyle \frac{\pi^{n/2}}{ \Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)} \prod_{k=1}^nr_k

This is probably what you meant or had in mind, but I wrote it here for explicitness.
Original post by henpen
This is probably what you meant or had in mind, but I wrote it here for explicitness.

No, I wasn't being entirely serious - I was doing to the volume of an ellipsoid what we did in lectures to Kepler's Laws :tongue:
Reply 2075
No, I wasn't being entirely serious - I was doing to the volume of an ellipsoid what we did in lectures to Kepler's Laws :tongue:

It would be enough for a physicist. Physicists' proofs are quite nice in a way entirely different to mathematical ones.
Original post by henpen
It would be enough for a physicist. Physicists' proofs are quite nice in a way entirely different to mathematical ones.

If you come from the "don't worry, be happy" school of mathematical rigour, as one of my other lecturers said…
Reply 2077
Original post by henpen
There surely is an easier way: set n1n-1 of the nn variables equal to 00, then the extremal solution for the remaining kkth variable will be equal to that dimension's semi-major/minor/in-between axis, rkr_k. Thus the unit hypersphere was stretched in that dimension by rk1\frac{r_k}{1}. The stretch multiplies the volume by a factor that is independent of the other dimensions' stretching, and the volume of the unit hypersphere is πn/2Γ(1+n2)\frac{\pi^{n/2}}{ \Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)} (Problem 299* : prove this), so the volume of the stretched hypersphere is
πn/2Γ(1+n2)k=1nrk\displaystyle \frac{\pi^{n/2}}{ \Gamma \left(1+\frac{n}{2} \right)} \prod_{k=1}^nr_k

OMG! This follows as a corollary from what I just typed up! :biggrin: (I'll edit it on as solution 299)

So satisfying to rediscover something! Do you know when my result was established and by who? :tongue:

Edit: How did you get the result for a the generalized ellipse btw? I can't find stuff about it anywhere online (did you read it somewhere and, if so, is the original derivation the same as mine?)

Problem 300
*/***

Working within the base-10 number system, find all 9-digit numbers containing all digits except zero (a zeroless Pandigital number) such that the first n digits form a number that is divisible by n for all n.

[For example, 123456789 is of the correct form. We also note that 1 is divisible by 1, 12 is divisible by 2, 123 is divisible by 3 though, as 1234 is not divisible by 4, this number fails to meet the requirements.]

Can you generalise interestingly to number systems with other bases and/or in any other way? (bonus-only)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2078
Solution 300

Let abcdefghi abcdefghi be the number such that aa is the first digit, bb is the second and so forth.

We have, from basic divisibility criteria the following set of equations:

(1)b0 mod 2[br][br](2)a+b+c0 mod 3[br][br](3)cd0 mod 4,d0 mod 2[br][br](4)e=5[br][br](5)f2 mod 2;a+b+c+d+e+f1 mod 3d+f1 mod 3[br][br](6)a+5b+4c+6g+2e+3f+g0 mod 7[br][br](7)fgh0 mod 8[br][br][br] \Rightarrow (1) b \equiv 0 \ mod \ 2[br][br]\Rightarrow (2) a+b+c \equiv 0 \ mod \ 3[br][br]\Rightarrow (3) cd \equiv 0 \ mod \ 4, d \equiv 0 \ mod \ 2 [br][br]\Rightarrow(4) e = 5[br][br]\Rightarrow (5) f \equiv 2 \ mod \ 2; a+b+c+d+e+ f \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3 \Rightarrow d+f \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3[br][br]\Rightarrow (6) a + 5b+ 4c + 6g + 2e + 3f + g \equiv 0 \ mod \ 7[br][br]\Rightarrow (7) fgh \equiv 0 \ mod \ 8[br][br][br]

From, Equations (1), (3), (5), (7), b, d, f, h are even and the rest are odd. e is clearly equal to 5, so the rest of the numbers must be either 1, 3, 7, or 9.

From (3), and the fact that c is odd, we have d=2,6 d = 2, 6 .

As d and f are even, we have d+f0 mod 2,d+f1 mod 3 d+f \equiv 0 \ mod \ 2, d+f \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3 .

d+f=4,10,16d+f=10\Rightarrow d+f = 4, 10, 16 \Rightarrow d+f = 10 as 4 is too small and 16 is too big to be the sum of distinct even numbers under 10.

This, coupled with the fact that d is 2 or 6 gives us, (d,f)=(2,8),(6,4) (d,f) = (2,8), (6,4) .

From (7) and the fact that f=4,8 f = 4, 8 we get gh0 mod 8 gh \equiv 0 \ mod \ 8 .

But, as g is odd, we have h=2,6 h= 2, 6 . In fact, we have, (g,h)=(1,6),(3,2),(7,2),(9,6) (g, h) = (1, 6), (3, 2), (7, 2), (9, 6) .

This leaves b=2, when h = 6 and b = 6 when h = 2.

So, as far as the configuration of even integers is concerned we have,

(b,d,f,h)=(4,2,8,6),(8,6,4,2) (b, d, f, h) = (4, 2, 8, 6), (8, 6, 4, 2)

Now, note that from (3), b=4a+c2 mod 3 b = 4 \Rightarrow a+c \equiv 2 \ mod \ 3 and b=8a+c1 mod 3 b = 8 \Rightarrow a+c \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3 .

Collating the (g,h) (g,h) pairs with the appropriate sets of even integers, we get the following:

(b,d,f,g,h)=(4,2,8,1,6),(4,2,8,9,6),(8,6,4,3,2),(8,6,4,7,2) (b, d, f, g, h) = (4, 2, 8, 1, 6), (4, 2, 8, 9, 6), (8, 6, 4, 3, 2), (8, 6, 4, 7, 2) .

Now, finally, look at (6). This and (2) will help us fix a and c and conclude.

Noting that 3(f+d)=30,2e=10 3(f+d) = 30, 2e = 10 , we have,

a+4c+(5b+6d+10+3f+g)0 mod 7[br][br]a+4c2(5b+3d+g)mod 7 a+4c + (5b + 6d + 10 + 3f + g) \equiv 0 \ mod \ 7[br][br]\Rightarrow a+4c \equiv 2 - (5b+3d+g) \mod \ 7

Now, remember that, when, (3), b=4a+c2 mod 3 b = 4 \Rightarrow a+c \equiv 2 \ mod \ 3 and b=8a+c1 mod 3 b = 8 \Rightarrow a+c \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3 .

So, notice that,

(b,d,f,g,h)=(4,2,8,1,6)a+4c3 mod 7,a+c2 mod 3[br][br](b,d,f,g,h)=(4,2,8,9,6)a+4c2 mod 7,a+c2 mod 3[br][br](b,d,f,g,h)=(8,6,4,3,2)a+4c4 mod 7,a+c1 mod 3[br][br](b,d,f,g,h)=(8,6,4,7,2)a+4c0 mod 7,a+c1 mod 3[br][br] (b, d, f, g, h) = (4, 2, 8, 1, 6) \Rightarrow a+ 4c \equiv 3 \ mod \ 7, a+c \equiv 2 \ mod \ 3[br][br] (b, d, f, g, h) = (4, 2, 8, 9, 6) \Rightarrow a+ 4c \equiv 2 \ mod \ 7, a+c \equiv 2 \ mod \ 3[br][br] (b, d, f, g, h) = (8, 6, 4, 3, 2) \Rightarrow a+ 4c \equiv 4 \ mod \ 7, a+c \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3[br][br] (b, d, f, g, h) = (8, 6, 4, 7, 2) \Rightarrow a+ 4c \equiv 0 \ mod \ 7, a+c \equiv 1 \ mod \ 3[br][br]

So, we have 4 sets of congruences. Notice that a and c are odd, so, we only have the integers [1,3,7,9] \left [ 1, 3, 7, 9 \right ] to choose from.

But, note that for each set of congruences, one of these has already been used up by g g . So, one can only consider the other 3, narrowing down the bunch of solutions.

In fact, after some computation, it turns out that only the last set of equations is solvable with a=3,c=1 a= 3, c= 1 .

So, that leaves i=9 i = 9 as the only thing left.

And gives us with just such an integer we want:

abcdefghi=381654729 abcdefghi = 381654729 .

A quick check reveals this to be acceptable.
Reply 2079
Original post by Jkn

Edit: How did you get the result for a the generalized ellipse btw? I can't find stuff about it anywhere online (did you read it somewhere and, if so, is the original derivation the same as mine?
)

I just came across this. There's an off reference in the section titled "Integration Problems." Read the last paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

Quick Reply

Latest