The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University Of Aberdeen Freshers 2013-14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImagineThat95
Im doing medicine to! Where are you from?

Aberdeen is a really nice city even though the weather isnt great. It rains quite a lot during winter and can be cold but its not like the arctic or anything (but if your not used to it i guess it could feel that way) It gets to around -8/9 degrees in winter (at night) and around 1/2degrees in the day and you will definitely get to see some snow but can (sometimes) be almost 20degrees in summer. Most of the time it sits between 5 and 10degrees. It is sort of like two different places. In the winter anywhere you go is cold and wet but in summer the beaches are crowded and everywhere is really nice :smile:

Hey nice to meet someone from my course!! I'm from Malaysia. I don't think I'll mind the cold so much as long as I get to see snow. I've always wanted to see snow anyway haha
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Hey I'm moving back to Aberdeen after a year away. Can't wait for freshers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Has anybody heard about accommodation yet?
Reply 103
Yeah I've heard back and so have some of my friends from school, we all staying in Crombie though :smile:
Hey everyone :smile: Just finished my first year at aberdeen uni so thought I would write some things to give you all advice :smile:

Firstly, social life. The social life in Hillhead is absolutely amazing! Especially in first semester, and the first month, there are always parties which you can go to with some friends. In Freshers, there is no such thing as gatecrashing.
I was underage during freshers, which for me was no problem. But I think this was just luck as I met so many other underagers. There's always loads of parties etc to go to as well.
Generally, Aberdeen is a very expensive place to live. Going out is expensive, food is expensive, and accommodation is expensive. Halls especially are very expensive, and as said in another post New Carnegie is generally not worth it. If you don't live in NCC, you will know people who are and there will be parties you can go to there, so you can enjoy it without paying the rents :P

Besides from the social life, studying is also important. The new library is really nice, but busy during exam time.

I study Law, so this is for anyone who will be doing Law :smile: It is very hard, not going to lie. And when you think you're going to do really well, you will end up getting low marks. Luckily I passed. But you will get better once you get used to it :smile: so, good luck! Law is also very boring in lectures, but once you start studying by yourself and learning it, you'll enjoy it. But, make sure you actually study!! You'll fail if you don't. And try and do work from week one, law is hard :frown:
Reply 105
Original post by dawg
Has anybody heard about accommodation yet?

no ive still not heard back about accommodation hopefully hear back soon! :smile:
Reply 106
Anyone studying Finance and History of art? :smile:
Reply 107
hi every1..am ifeoma from Nigeria..accepted an offer from aberdeen and looking foward to studying there..heard and read alot about it...i hope it will meet my expectations...am studying msc in finance and i will be staying at grant court..am rilly excited!:smile:
Hi guys

I have been offered a conditional offer from Aberdeen University in BSc Petroleum Engineering requiring ABB.

However, due to some circumstances I think I may recieve BBB.

Are Aberdeen University lenient in grades foe some courses.

Many thanks.
Reply 109
Original post by drinklikealawyer
Hey everyone :smile: Just finished my first year at aberdeen uni so thought I would write some things to give you all advice :smile:

Firstly, social life. The social life in Hillhead is absolutely amazing! Especially in first semester, and the first month, there are always parties which you can go to with some friends. In Freshers, there is no such thing as gatecrashing.
I was underage during freshers, which for me was no problem. But I think this was just luck as I met so many other underagers. There's always loads of parties etc to go to as well.
Generally, Aberdeen is a very expensive place to live. Going out is expensive, food is expensive, and accommodation is expensive. Halls especially are very expensive, and as said in another post New Carnegie is generally not worth it. If you don't live in NCC, you will know people who are and there will be parties you can go to there, so you can enjoy it without paying the rents :P

Besides from the social life, studying is also important. The new library is really nice, but busy during exam time.

I study Law, so this is for anyone who will be doing Law :smile: It is very hard, not going to lie. And when you think you're going to do really well, you will end up getting low marks. Luckily I passed. But you will get better once you get used to it :smile: so, good luck! Law is also very boring in lectures, but once you start studying by yourself and learning it, you'll enjoy it. But, make sure you actually study!! You'll fail if you don't. And try and do work from week one, law is hard :frown:

Hi, thank you for the advice! I'm going to do Legal Studies as part of a joint honours, which might be different from law as a single subject. Could you tell me/us more about the workload in law, and what is so difficult about it? Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any other psychology applicants? :smile:

I'm moving up from Kent if I get my grades, I'm already panicking about results day it seems like such a long wait. I've applied for New Carnegie but I haven't heard back from accommodation yet, hopefully it'll be soon :smile:
Reply 111
Hi,

Anyone going for MBA in September 2013 ?
I have got offer and will go for it :smile::smile:

Thanks,
Reply 112
Original post by hisgrinningskull

I'm moving up from Kent if I get my grades, I'm already panicking about results day it seems like such a long wait. I've applied for New Carnegie but I haven't heard back from accommodation yet, hopefully it'll be soon :smile:

I've also applied for New Carnegie as my first choice but haven't heard anything back yet, apparently somebody another thread or maybe this one i dunno has already heard back from their accomodation!
Reply 113
here's a group for people staying in spring gardens next year

https://www.facebook.com/groups/439277769503950/
Reply 114
Good afternoon everybody!
I have a serious problem concerning my admission at Film Studies. I received earlier this year an offer with a condition for my acceptance: obtaining Diploma de Bacalaureat (BAC) with an average of 8.9, including 9 in three written subjects. Yesterday I got my results and my average is 9.31, but my problem is at Physics, where I obtained a degree of 8.95. My diploma will be released this friday, but, until then, do you think I have any hope to e-mail or phone call the Admission Center to ask for a chance/solution? Is there any advice I should take into consideration?
Thank you very much!
Steve
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 115
Hi everyone,

Any one looking for accomodation outside university? I need flat mates to stay out side university. Please let me know if any one is looking for flat mates out side university accomodation. Also if anyone have good deal of accomodation let me know.

Thanks,
Harshu
Original post by hisgrinningskull

I can't believe I didn't see this before, finally another psychology student! And you've applied for new Carnegie too :smile:
I haven't heard anything back from them either...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
Original post by fletchdd02
Ah right, what's the nightlife and the city like generally? I'm struggling to find people's opinions on it really!

I'm from Leeds, so it's a fair old trek! No everywhere else I applied was south of Leeds; Bristol, Leeds and Nottingham!

Yeah I have a heart attack everytime I get any sort of email from any uni!

It's good to know someone else is going up to Aberdeen from Yorkshire I'm coming from Wakefield hopefully if I get in.
Reply 118
Ahh I'm so exited! Is anyone else doing Politics and International Relations? I dont know anyone else who's taking this course! D:
Original post by molly1995
Ahh I'm so exited! Is anyone else doing Politics and International Relations? I dont know anyone else who's taking this course! D:

Hey! I'm taking IR and Hispanic Studies- half similar! Haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending