The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Applying to clubs and societies beforehand?

I heard someone saying that i have to apply to clubs and societies before freshers week and when i get to uni? if so where do i apply.

I’m going to the University of Aberdeen btw
Reply 1
Usually you would sign up to those at a societies fair as they offer tasters etc to get new people involved, never heard of you having to sign up beforehand but you can usually sign up through the student union as well
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by anrii
I heard someone saying that i have to apply to clubs and societies before freshers week and when i get to uni? if so where do i apply.

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Just want to say that you're welcome to get in contact with any clubs or societies you're interested in ahead of getting to Aberdeen but it's not a requirement. A lot of societies will be running welcome events and the sports clubs often have taster sessions that you can go to before deciding to join up. For most societies (apart from maybe some sports ones that are looking to lock in their numbers for team activities and tournaments) there aren't a limited number of memberships and so you don't need to sign up before getting here. Hope this is helpful to know, and would definitely recommend giving a couple a try when you get here!

I'd recommend having a look through the societies on offer and see if they're posting about any events in the coming weeks. You can look at the full list here: https://www.ausa.org.uk/getinvolved/activities/

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by anrii

Hi there,
Like the other posters have said, many students sign up for taster sessions at societies fairs. For most, there aren't a limited number of memberships, so this is a great way to try out different societies and decide which ones you would like to commit to for the rest of the year. It's definitely worth looking into what societies you're interested in beforehand but don't feel pressured to commit to any societies before you try them. I'd recommend joining at least a couple of societies as they're a great way to make friends, pursue your interests and even enhance your CV.

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending