The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Economi
Annoys me when people refer to a certain size as anorexic. Some people are naturally skinny and i'm sure they wouldn't appreciate accusations of a mental disorder, and i'm sure people who are anorexic aren't proud of it.

THIS!
Reply 41
I had anorexia and was that size and have now managed to get up to a size 10-12 which I believe is a perfect size. It's all down to your height and build but think of it this way the average size in the uk for a woman is a size 16
If I hear one more person refer to a size 4 or a size 6 as 'anorexic' or 'borderline anorexic' I'm going to give up on society.

Anorexia is a mental disorder not an adjective. If someone eats normally, is healthy and are a size 4-6 they are not anorexic, they're thin. Anorexia is a serious illness it's not a fashion trend I find the whole thread incredibly offensive, not just through the use of a mental disorder as an adjective but the amount of people claiming that a 4-6 is too skinny, like it's not attractive? "Why would you want to be a smaller size" well what's wrong with being a smaller size?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone on here who is a size 6-8 please tell me how much u weigh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
I'm a size 6/8 l, five foot five and most certainly do not look anorexic!!
Reply 45
Original post by SillyMilly
it completely depends on your body, ive got big hips I could starve myself and drop loads of weight but ill never be smaller than a 10 because I cant make my bones magically shrink. There is nothing wrong with being a 10/12 but also being 8/6 doesn't mean she is suffering from an eating disorder some woman are really very small boned so will be naturally thinner than those of us who are bigger boned its just how the world works we all have different bodies.

True. I'm a 6/8 and my bones are really small. I have a layer of fat over me, and I'm not boney at all, but I have the smallest wrists ever, and the rest of me is like that. If I were to be a size 10/12 I'd either have to have quite a bit of fat or muscle because my frame is so small.
Although I'm happy with my dress size, I'd love to have a larger frame to be honest, I hate my wrists.
(edited 10 years ago)
So long as your BMI is within the healthy range and you exercise regularly/eat right you should be fine :smile:

Even size 4-6 can be healthy if you're short enough, for example I'm that size but around 5"2 so not too skinny. If you Google a BMI calculator you can work it out x
Reply 47
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
A size 6 is quite big these days thanks to vanity sizing. I'm not really skinny and I have quite a few size 6 things that fit. So no, it's not anorexic looking.

Yep. In the 1950s a size 6 would have been between an 8/10. Dress sizes change alongside the changes in average size of the population.
Original post by pandabird
Yep. In the 1950s a size 6 would have been between an 8/10. Dress sizes change alongside the changes in average size of the population.

Yeah I was looking at old dress patterns and a size 12 had a 25 inch waist in some of them! Crazy!
I'm naturally a size 6 and I don't look too skinny, I'm perfectly healthy. I'm 5ft 2.5 and 101lbs, so my BMI is about 18.5. My weight has been on the lower end of normal throughout my life and I've even been underweight at times but I have no health problems, it's just the way I am. Attractiveness is not represented by a number, people need to stop obsessing over dress sizes and just try and maintain a healthy weight!
Reply 50
Original post by dragonkeeper999
For your height, 10/12 is a perfect size I would have thought. I'm only 5ft and fit 6/8! The size not only reflects weight but also height - size 6 clothes would probably be too short for you anyway! Don't let other people's opinions about weight/ clothes size/ appearance/ whatever effect you - just eat and live fairly healthily so you are neither overweight nor anorexic. :smile:

I'm a size 6 and clothes fit me perfectly despite being 5 foot 5!

OP, here's Lucy Watson for more of an idea. She's 5 foot 6 and a dress size 6.

Reply 51
No, as long as you're at the right weight to suit your height then I guess it's fine. Eat right, get a decent amount of exercise and you should be fine, as long as you're healthy. Size 6/8 is by no means 'anorexic' I know people that are thin naturally and can fit into those sizes, they aren't anorexic. :smile:
True. I'm a 6/8 and my bones are really small. I have a layer of fat over me, and I'm not boney at all, but I have the smallest wrists ever, and the rest of me is like that. If I were to be a size 10/12 I'd either have to have quite a bit of fat or muscle because my frame is so small.
Although I'm happy with my dress size, I'd love to have a larger frame to be honest, I hate my wrists.

I'm exactly the same, I have tiny wrists and skinny fingers so rings and bracelets are an absolute no-no unless I can get them resized. I have skinny feet to go with them as well so shoe shopping is a nightmare, nothing fits!

but that's the thing youd probably look biggerish being a size 10 as a size 6 suits you but if your strong boned like me then id look very sick being a size 6 its also relative to height im 5ft11 so of course ill be double the weight of a smaller girl
im confused as to why I got negged I didn't mean a size 10 is big im a size 10/12 and my bmi is nearly underweight I implied that different body structure and bone structure = different sizes
Original post by rainbow.panda
I'm exactly the same, I have tiny wrists and skinny fingers so rings and bracelets are an absolute no-no unless I can get them resized. I have skinny feet to go with them as well so shoe shopping is a nightmare, nothing fits!

Haha try having massively wide feet! I've always been skinny with the feet of a morbidly obese woman! Even wide fit shoes are often too narrow. My feet are legit like flippers. Would love dainty little ones!
Reply 56
I'm about 5'5 and naturally 6-8, sometimes I wish I were a size up or so, but it all depends on your bone structure; if you're born bigger, chances are you won't look right if you diet and get massively thinner than your natural size, while people who are born skinnier might not look as proportionate if they put on a lot of weight. For your size though, anywhere from a 6-12 could look perfectly healthy :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Secretnerd123
Can anyone on here who is a size 6-8 please tell me how much u weigh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am 49 kilos :smile:
Reply 58
6-8 is just perfect
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im a size 10/12 atm and really want to become that size. Im going to work really hard to achieve it but do you think its too skinny. Im 5ft5

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bestfriend is exactly your height and a size 10 and she looks perfect to me. She used to have an eating disorder and then she was a size 8 (2 stone lighter) and it didn't look right on her, her boyfriend and guy friends have all commented on how much better she looked when she put on the weight. However, everyone is different. She had a underweight BMI as well when she was a size 8, and now she's a 10 it's around 22 where as perhaps your bone structure/ muscle composition is different and it'd be fine on you.

Latest