The Student Room Group

Team sport at a Russell Group University

in a nutshell-- just to describe myself.
I am hoping to get into a Russell group Uni and join in September and i have been looking at the wide variety of clubs and societies and i would like to try some new things as i'm quite the adventurous and risk-taking sort who likes new things and i would like to join a team sport but dunno which 1 to choose.
I am a short girl, between 4ft'11 and 5ft, petite, skinny but i am bulking up because i go gym and use weights at home and go for runs etc.

Girls rugby i feel like i will honestly get knocked over but the rugby community seems nice and friendly enough. I feel like i'm not the right size perhaps to do rough and tough things like rugby.

Girls football- i have played some football before and i think i would be good for goalie which is a good position.

Girls hockey- tried hockey before and i really liked it but i havent played in years and dont own a stick or anything.

Is it normal for people to join sports teams when they are inexperienced in the sport itself?? Is that allowed??
Reply 1
Yep, all abilities will be welcome at any of the sports you mentioned. There will be really good players (county level or national level) and they will make up the 1st teams but most clubs go down to 6 or even 8 teams so a newbie like you will probably be playing for one of the lower teams. Even then, you can join your course team or your halls of residence team so lots of opportunities for you to engage in sports. I was so crap I sometimes made it out of bed on Sundays to play slob footie on Sundays (for hungover/still drunk idiots).
Universities normally have different sports at different levels, from competitive focused teams to purely social & recreational. Sports is excellent for both physical & mental health, very popular & brings together people from all across society into one community as such unis have lots of access wether you want to just do casual pickup games or train several ttimes per week.
Original post by Anonymous
in a nutshell-- just to describe myself.
I am hoping to get into a Russell group Uni and join in September and i have been looking at the wide variety of clubs and societies and i would like to try some new things as i'm quite the adventurous and risk-taking sort who likes new things and i would like to join a team sport but dunno which 1 to choose.
I am a short girl, between 4ft'11 and 5ft, petite, skinny but i am bulking up because i go gym and use weights at home and go for runs etc.

Girls rugby i feel like i will honestly get knocked over but the rugby community seems nice and friendly enough. I feel like i'm not the right size perhaps to do rough and tough things like rugby.

Girls football- i have played some football before and i think i would be good for goalie which is a good position.

Girls hockey- tried hockey before and i really liked it but i havent played in years and dont own a stick or anything.

Is it normal for people to join sports teams when they are inexperienced in the sport itself?? Is that allowed??

Hey!
As a student ambassador, I'm happy to help you out with your query. Firstly, congratulations on your acceptance to a Russell group Uni and wanting to explore the variety of clubs and societies on offer. It's an excellent way to meet new people, learn new skills and enhance your overall university experience.

Regarding your interest in joining a team sport, let me assure you that it's entirely normal for people to join sports teams without any prior experience in that particular sport. Many students join sports teams to learn a new skill or try something new, and clubs are always welcoming to newcomers.

Personally, at the University of Southampton, the sports clubs offer sessions for all levels, from beginners to advanced players. So, even if you're a complete beginner, you'll be able to find a club that caters to your needs. The clubs are inclusive, and members support each other, so students have plenty of opportunities to learn and improve their skills.

Regarding your concerns about your size for rugby, let me tell you that rugby is a sport for all shapes and sizes, and there is no such thing as being the "right size." However, if you're not feeling confident about playing rugby, there are plenty of other sports you can try, such as football or hockey, as you've mentioned. Goalkeeping is an essential position in football, and if you've played before, you already have a head start. Similarly, hockey is a fun and dynamic sport that can be learned quickly, even if you haven't played in years.

So, don't worry about your lack of experience or your size; just go ahead and try the sport that interests you the most. Good luck, and have fun!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending