The Student Room Group

What UMS did you get in maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
How did they get an offer?It only shows that they don't have raw mathematical ability in that module so you could still be good at Maths overall.

They got an offer because they are good at Maths; simple as. And it does not show that they don't have raw mathematical ability in that module. There are several reasons why someone (Who is more than capable of doing the Maths) would not score as highly in a module; the ones I know of got them because they had a bad day and had perhaps not focused on the module as thoroughly as others due to more important commitments such as STEP.

I have to ask: At what level of your education are you now? Finished GCSE's, or just finished AS? I am guessing the former, but please correct me if I am wrong.
Original post by DJMayes
They got an offer because they are good at Maths; simple as. And it does not show that they don't have raw mathematical ability in that module. There are several reasons why someone (Who is more than capable of doing the Maths) would not score as highly in a module; the ones I know of got them because they had a bad day and had perhaps not focused on the module as thoroughly as others due to more important commitments such as STEP.

I have to ask: At what level of your education are you now? Finished GCSE's, or just finished AS? I am guessing the former, but please correct me if I am wrong.

I have finished my GCSEs and am doing Further Maths.I want to see these examples so I can examine them myself and see how Cambridge could have accepted them.Off topic but if I do really well in C1,C2,FP1,M1 and M2 and not so well in S1, giving me a high B in Maths AS and a high A in Further Maths AS(using current module combinations) would S1 and M1 be swapped automatically to give me an A in both:confused:If I get less than 90 in a module then do not have true mathematical ability in that module( which could be the case certainly in Statistics and Decision).
I have finished my GCSEs and am doing Further Maths.I want to see these examples so I can examine them myself and see how Cambridge could have accepted them.Off topic but if I do really well in C1,C2,FP1,M1 and M2 and not so well in S1, giving me a high B in Maths AS and a high A in Further Maths AS(using current module combinations) would S1 and M1 be swapped automatically to give me an A in both:confused:If I get less than 90 in a module then do not have true mathematical ability in that module( which could be the case certainly in Statistics and Decision).

I have a dyslexic friend who's a brilliant thinker when it comes to maths, and is very good at understanding what questions want from you, and can normally arrive at a solution using a sound method, but because of his dyslexia, more often than not his answers are numerically wrong just because he will misread his calculator, or put in wrong numbers etc. he struggles to get into the 90s but that doesn't mean he doesn't have true mathematical ability. At the same time I have a friend who had to teach me a lot of M2 because I struggled with some parts in it at first. He was very good at it, and definitely understood everything in the syllabus, and in past papers normally achieved 75/75. When it came to the exam he got in the high 80s, and when we discussed answers it turned out it was from silly mistakes like reading a figure in a question wrong, or when it came to a question about speed of separation of two particles, there were 3 particles mentioned and he picked the wrong two by accident. He made quite a few mistakes, all very trivial. How the hell does someone not have true mathematical ability because they make errors in an A level maths exam? You do realise that in a step exam method completely trumps getting the right answer, and making a few errors don't cost you much if you have the correct idea, where as in a normal A level exam making a silly error can cost you normally about half the marks for that question. I'm begging you to actually wait until you've at least done AS before you start acting like you know what you're talking about. The reason Cambridge use step is because they're aware A level exams don't show true mathematical ability, and are more than happy to accept people have off days and get under 90% in a few of the exams.

The two main examples I have are:

- One person who got 79 in FP1, got an offer to Cambridge but did not meet the STEP grades
- One person who got sub 90 scores in M2, FP2 and FP3 before applying (So Cambridge knew them) and got an offer, achieved two B grades (Do not know UMS) in M4 and M5 and got SS1 in STEP so will be studying Cambridge next year.

I cannot remember both of their UMS in other modules. Yes, your modules are rearranged to give greatest overall combined grades where possible. Finally a sub 90 score is not necessarily representative of a lack of ability at a module in my opinion but I shall agree to disagree as I can see we are going nowhere.
Reply 224
Emmm

C1 - 98
C2 - 91
M1 - 96
S1 - 80
C3 - 98
C4 - 100

563/600 - Physics:smile:

F**k I hated stats
Original post by SwndonTwn
I want to know because I'm thinking of doing a maths degree but I don't want to be horribly out of my depth. Please tell me what grade you got at A2 and overall UMS (if you can't remember, then just a rough number). Could you also put which university you go to :smile:

Could you also put what the degree name is. So if it's straight maths or maths and economics, or financial mathematics etc.

Posting would be a massive, massive help for me, so please do so :smile:

Thanks very much to anyone who can help!

Err 586/600. I dropped 3 in S1, 1 in C3 and 10 in M1.

Straight maths, Cambridge.

I guess I'm not gonna miss an opportunity as blatant as this to show off... :tongue:

Forgot you existed - the dude who made his own maths right?
if i got 252 ums in maths out of 300 at AS level which was an A what would i need in c3 c4 and s1 to get an A*?
C1 94
C2 85
C3 90
C4 91
S1 85
D1 60 :lol:

Total: 505 - A* (my only A* :tongue: )

I could've tried harder on D1 but I knew i didn't need to do well in it, although it did mean I got 84% instead of the likely ~88% I would've got overall in maths. Not really a big deal though.

Then again, i'm studying geography not maths.
(edited 10 years ago)
C1 94
C2 76 (whaaaaaat)
C3 96
M1 98
M2 96
S1 91
FP1 99

Just finished Maths/Further maths AS levels, so i'll be doing 5 modules next year

I'm hoping to study Electronic Engineering next year :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sapphire123
if i got 252 ums in maths out of 300 at AS level which was an A what would i need in c3 c4 and s1 to get an A*?

You would need 180/200(a) across C3 and C4 and 48/100(e) in S1
Original post by Hamster96
I have a dyslexic friend who's a brilliant thinker when it comes to maths, and is very good at understanding what questions want from you, and can normally arrive at a solution using a sound method, but because of his dyslexia, more often than not his answers are numerically wrong just because he will misread his calculator, or put in wrong numbers etc. he struggles to get into the 90s but that doesn't mean he doesn't have true mathematical ability. At the same time I have a friend who had to teach me a lot of M2 because I struggled with some parts in it at first. He was very good at it, and definitely understood everything in the syllabus, and in past papers normally achieved 75/75. When it came to the exam he got in the high 80s, and when we discussed answers it turned out it was from silly mistakes like reading a figure in a question wrong, or when it came to a question about speed of separation of two particles, there were 3 particles mentioned and he picked the wrong two by accident. He made quite a few mistakes, all very trivial. How the hell does someone not have true mathematical ability because they make errors in an A level maths exam? You do realise that in a step exam method completely trumps getting the right answer, and making a few errors don't cost you much if you have the correct idea, where as in a normal A level exam making a silly error can cost you normally about half the marks for that question. I'm begging you to actually wait until you've at least done AS before you start acting like you know what you're talking about. The reason Cambridge use step is because they're aware A level exams don't show true mathematical ability, and are more than happy to accept people have off days and get under 90% in a few of the exams.

He had a bad day so that's a bit of an exception about M2. About the dyslexic person, reading is an important part of Maths reading the wrong number could set up a chain reaction that could blow up reactors.I am curious to why you think reading figures correctly doesn't correlate to Maths ability?Did this person get extra time in the exams by the way or not?
Reply 232
C1: 96
c2: 84
c3:100
c4: 87
s1: 91
m1: 93

551/600 - a*
(edited 10 years ago)
C1- 88/100 (bad day)
C2- 100/100 (yay go calculus- my favourite module by far)
D1- 87/100 (****ing hated it)

Applying for Chemical Engineering at Cambridge (via NatSci), Imperial, UCL, Bath and Edinburgh. :smile:

P.s. Chemistry 94%, Physics 91%, Geography 95% and General Studies 89% (haha)
Reply 234
C1 - 82
C2 - 100
C3 - 88
C4 -100
M1- 100
S1 - 78 (I didn't know that the paper had a back page. So I missed a question and lost 10 marks. Silly mistake. The ironic thing is that the night before the exam, at a revision session, my teacher said to everyone ALWAYS CHECK THE BACK PAGE!!)

549 UMS - A*
Civil Engineering - UCL
Worth mentioning about UMS I know someone who got a C in a module and got a Cambridge offer (it was in D1 mind you).
Original post by Pterodactyl
Worth mentioning about UMS I know someone who got a C in a module and got a Cambridge offer (it was in D1 mind you).

Yay
He had a bad day so that's a bit of an exception about M2. About the dyslexic person, reading is an important part of Maths reading the wrong number could set up a chain reaction that could blow up reactors.I am curious to why you think reading figures correctly doesn't correlate to Maths ability?Did this person get extra time in the exams by the way or not?

No, the only difference is that he's allowed to use a computer to write things out, so his grammar is correct. Also, yes to the first part of your reply, the person had a bad day, but so would a lot of people who narrowly missed the 90% mark, therefore this doesnt define mathematical ability. Sure, reading is an important part of the maths EXAMS, but in no way defines what class of mathematician you are. The person im talking about is brilliant, they can always approach questions, even the ones that other really good people are stumped at. Just because he doesn't do well at a level exams doesn't deter the fact that he can understand problems way beyond the standard most people can. He is definitely mathematically able across the board. Being a first class mathematician is much more about ideas than numbers anyway. Any mediocre mathematicians can put numbers into a formula or repeat an algorithm to a question that they've been taught, an able mathematician can approach new problems and find ways to tackle them. He's very good with step questions, and I'm sure hell get 1,1 in them at least next year, despite having A level results than in your opinion are sub standard
I just finished my first year of Sixth Form and completed A Level Maths with WJEC
I had a full 600 UMS in C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2.

Next year going to do FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, M2 and M3
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 239
Original post by Ade9000
Not a Maths student, but here.

C1 - 89
C2 - 88
C3 - 88
C4 - 94
S1 - 79
M1 - 93

Total - 531/600 A*

Studying chemical engineering at UCL

just made it into the A* boundary by 2 UMS. I can imagine the joy :wink: I'm starting civil engineering at UCL this September !!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest