The Student Room Group

The Biology AS-level Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryMWilliams
An OCR'er, how are you finding the in-course assessment modules? F213 for example.

I've only had two class assessments so far. I got a B on the first one, and we only did the other yesterday so it's not marked yet. Overall, they're pretty decent. I don't do F213, so I wouldn't know about it I study F211 and F212 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yummy_strawberry
x

Good to hear. As a side-note, F213 is the module code for your AS (Year 12) coursework. :smile:
Good to hear. As a side-note, F213 is the module code for your AS (Year 12) coursework. :smile:

Ohh lol. I thought it was another exam like F212 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 423
Well then has any body started their ISA's etc. yet?

I start mine on Thursday :s-smilie: :facepalm:
Reply 424
Has anyone got any edexcel A2 biology notes to share?? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roselyn8
x

Have you taken a look at the Wiki part of TSR? If so, and you can't find anything, take a look at Get Revising. :smile:
Just as an FYI, I'm going to stick this thread to the top of the page, to make it easier to find for any new members, so if you go searching through pages and pages of this particular forum and find nothing, you'll now know where to look. :biggrin:

As I said before, if anyone has any questions about the AS/A2 experience of Biology, especially the OCR course, just quote me.
Reply 427
Just as an FYI, I'm going to stick this thread to the top of the page, to make it easier to find for any new members, so if you go searching through pages and pages of this particular forum and find nothing, you'll now know where to look. :biggrin:

As I said before, if anyone has any questions about the AS/A2 experience of Biology, especially the OCR course, just quote me.

Hi, I'm doing OCR Biology and I am finding the course very interesting and I understand the content, but the other day we were given exam questions and I lost marks on missing specific words. It seems like learning it and practicing exam technique can differentiate between a C/B student to an A/A* student. Should I be worried about this? I feel like I don't know the topic after doing those exam questions, because the answers to the exam questions were different to how my teacher tells me to answer the questions.

I don't like the OCR markscheme as they are really strict, and considering you've done OCR Biology, is the best thing to do for revision past papers?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Original post by a123a
x

Yep. Sorry to say it but even if you understand the concept well, you HAVE to answer it in the OCR-style, and they can be ridiculously pedantic when it comes to key terms and structures in long answer questions.

My biggests piece of advice to new OCR students, especially at AS/A2 level, is to start revising with past papers as soon as possible after starting, you have to practice the "OCR-way" as my teacher, who also examines for OCR, used to say.
Reply 429
Yep. Sorry to say it but even if you understand the concept well, you HAVE to answer it in the OCR-style, and they can be ridiculously pedantic when it comes to key terms and structures in long answer questions.

My biggests piece of advice to new OCR students, especially at AS/A2 level, is to start revising with past papers as soon as possible after starting, you have to practice the "OCR-way" as my teacher, who also examines for OCR, used to say.

Ok, my plan is to take all the notes of each topic, revise them and as soon as I finish them, do past papers and learn how to answer the exam style questions.

thanks!
Original post by a123a
x

No worries - good luck. Anymore questions, let me know.
Original post by a123a
Ok, my plan is to take all the notes of each topic, revise them and as soon as I finish them, do past papers and learn how to answer the exam style questions.

thanks!

Exactly what I plan on doing! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 432
What a lovely surprise I didn't know we were covering ... I wanna say genetic engineering (at a basic level) in Biology haha, should have read the course specification bit more but woo am quite looking forward to it as it fascinates me :P
Reply 433
Hello young AS Biologists!!

I remember how it was like to study AS biology (the good and the bad), so if anyone would like advice/ help regarding content I would be more than happy to help. I'm doing A2 at the moment so it's all relevant anyway :smile:
Reply 434
Exactly what I plan on doing! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you started your notes?

I take notes in class but for revision I do it all again and use the spec and stuff. Then I just go over them until I can memorise it. Then I do past papers.
Pretty boring method for revision but it works.
Original post by a123a
Have you started your notes?

I take notes in class but for revision I do it all again and use the spec and stuff. Then I just go over them until I can memorise it. Then I do past papers.
Pretty boring method for revision but it works.

Yep. Basically, I started doing revision on everything we've covered so far - using the spec, textbook and revision guide. Tbh, I find my teacher's notes from class very brief. When I go home and revise the lesson, I seem to understand it more from the textbook...it's more precise and straight to the point.

Yes! Past papers are so important. Atm, I just answer the questions relating to what I studied so far. It helps, a lot. True, it is boring but it's worth it!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 436
Yep. Basically, I started doing revision on everything we've covered so far - using the spec, textbook and revision guide. Tbh, I find my teacher's notes from class very brief. When I go home and revise the lesson, I seem to understand it more from the textbook...it's more precise and straight to the point.

Yes! Past papers are so important. Atm, I just answer the questions relating to what I studied so far. It helps, a lot. True, it is boring but it's worth it!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same! In class they don't explain it as well and they actually confuse me more. When I get home to read the content it seems so much easier.

Are you doing OCR bio?
Reply 437
Have you taken a look at the Wiki part of TSR? If so, and you can't find anything, take a look at Get Revising. :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 438
Has anybody started their biology ISA's yet?

i did my quantative the other day ( i think, the practical and booklet), and i may be doing the second part tomorrow :frown:
Reply 439
@Techno same here; don't know if people could share their notes or share any material on the matter of doing the biology AS ISA ? I am doing the

the effects of intracellular ion concentration on model plant cells

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending