The Student Room Group

Studying Biology in my gap year

I had a sudden realisation that I want to study Medicine and not Physics, but I do not take Biology A Level.

If I was to take a gap year and complete the full Biology A Level in that time, would universities be fine with that?

If it's relevant, my current A Levels are Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
Original post by W. A. Mozart
I had a sudden realisation that I want to study Medicine and not Physics, but I do not take Biology A Level.

If I was to take a gap year and complete the full Biology A Level in that time, would universities be fine with that?

I thought that for most medicine courses, chemistry is a necessity but Biology isn't a requirement. You have Physics and Maths so as long as you make the grades you should be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
I thought that for most medicine courses, chemistry is a necessity but Biology isn't a requirement. You have Physics and Maths so as long as you make the grades you should be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow I didn't know this, that's great news!

Thank you!
Oh wow I didn't know this, that's great news!

Thank you!

No problem! :smile:

I would check specific requirements of med schools to make sure but I just checked Barts and Oxford for a brief cursory look and they are fine with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
No problem! :smile:

I would check specific requirements of med schools to make sure but I just checked Barts and Oxford for a brief cursory look and they are fine with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I checked all of them, and it seems that around 40% of them are fine without A Level Biology.

So do you know if they will allow me to do Biology in my gap year? They say that the A Levels must be took in two years, but I thought that was just another way of saying that they didn't want resits.
I checked all of them, and it seems that around 40% of them are fine without A Level Biology.

So do you know if they will allow me to do Biology in my gap year? They say that the A Levels must be took in two years, but I thought that was just another way of saying that they didn't want resits.

Yeah, they just don't want resits!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by username2835262

Hey , were u able to complete biology in your gap year ? Asking because I'm in the same situation ...
Reply 7
Original post by Aqila Chan
Hey , were u able to complete biology in your gap year ? Asking because I'm in the same situation ...

This thread is 5 years old and OP has no been on TSR in 5 years.....
Reply 8
Original post by Aqila Chan

what did u end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending