The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NouKome for show of the season :bhangra:
EDIT:
Made a double post...
Damn this bug...
(edited 10 years ago)
For everyone who is excited about supporting the manga industry and remaining up to date/current, watch below vid:

[video="youtube;TfzV74cAs4Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfzV74cAs4Q[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
For everyone who is excited about supporting the manga industry and remaining up to date/current, watch below vid:

[video="youtube;TfzV74cAs4Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfzV74cAs4Q[/video]

Excellent news :sogood:
Reply 5844
Did anyone recognise the Pulp Fiction and Terminator references in episode 4 of Kill la Kill? That aside, this show amuses me to no end. :giggle:
that was a good ep of Walkure Romanze :yep: that double splitting joust :awesome: :poke:
Reply 5846
Kill la Kill saving anime, one very small budget episode at a time.
that 20 second Ren-chon face :puppyeyes:
Reply 5848
Original post by Carecup
Kill la Kill saving anime, one very small budget episode at a time.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, if that's what you're implying. Yes, it's low budget, but I think Trigger have done a really good job in spite of that. I'll admit that the latest episode was a bit sketchy, though.
Been slacking on this season so far and only watched up to date:
*Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio
*Walkure Romanze
*Coppelion
*Little Busters! Refrain

All of which i'm enjoying :tongue: however i'm slacking on:
*Nagi no Asukara (not watched any of it yet)
*Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy o Zenryoku de Jama ****eiru (not watched any yet)
*Golden Time (watched first episode)

I'm wondering if its worth bothering with those last three :confused:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
...however i'm slacking on:
*Nagi no Asukara (not watched any of it yet)
*Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy o Zenryoku de Jama shiteiru (not watched any yet)
*Golden Time (watched first episode)

I'm wondering if its worth bothering with those last three :confused:

Nagi no Asukara got off to a slow start, but is growing on me. The other two, I've found absolutely hilarious so far, and would recommend. :biggrin:
Well, tonight at animesoc it was 'magical girl' themed, we watched two episodes of 'Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha' along with the usual continuation of 'Psycho Pass'. I don't know what the general opinion the former is, but I thought it was awful! :frown: A few people left immediately after the first episode, so I don't think I was alone, the other option was Sailor Moon, which I'm now thinking I probably wouldn't like either :p:

I have also gotten my hands on my first manga from the socs library! None other than Jojo: Stardust Crusaders, can't wait to start reading it!

This is the bulk of the lineup for the Halloween all nighter on Saturday , opinions? Just so I know whether it's worth going if I'm free! :biggrin:

Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai
Petshop of Horrors
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children
(edited 10 years ago)
some great fight scenes in Unbreakable Machine-Doll :cool:
Reply 5853
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Well, tonight at animesoc it was 'magical girl' themed, we watched two episodes of 'Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha' along with the usual continuation of 'Psycho Pass'. I don't know what the general opinion the former is, but I thought it was awful! :frown: A few people left immediately after the first episode, so I don't think I was alone, the other option was Sailor Moon, which I'm now thinking I probably wouldn't like either :p:

I'm not a huge fan of mahou shoujo myself, but the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series (as a whole) was one of the few that I did enjoy watching when they aired. They're definitely considered 'classics', but I can appreciate why someone who is new to the genre would find it hard to get into them. Perhaps something like Puella Magi Madoka Magica would have been a better choice for your society to show, even though it's relatively new, as it offers a darker slant on the genre, which would probably appeal to newcomers more.

As for Sailor Moon, this is arguably the mother of all mahou shoujo series, and is one of the first anime that I seriously got into. If you didn't like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, it's highly unlikely you'll like this, but you never know. :tongue:

I have also gotten my hands on my first manga from the socs library! None other than Jojo: Stardust Crusaders, can't wait to start reading it!

Definitely more inline with your tastes. :tongue:

This is the bulk of the lineup for the Halloween all nighter on Saturday , opinions? Just so I know whether it's worth going if I'm free! :biggrin:

Petshop of Horrors

I haven't seen the first one, but maybe someone else has?

Petshop of Horrors was interesting enough, but I'm not sure whether it'll warrant going to the screening specifically for.

I'm not entirely sure why FF VII Advent Children has been chosen for Halloween. This is 3D/CG affair and was fun to watch due to the fighting sequences, but unless you're played the games, the story line will mean very little, not that much happened, from what I can remember, aside from the fighting. :tongue:

Edit:

Original post by eugenius 8
some great fight scenes in Unbreakable Machine-Doll :cool:

Indeed, was quite cool to see Yaya (I'm beginning to remember her name now) fight against the other doll. The movement was surprisingly fluid. This one is a definite keeper for me weekly for this season.
(edited 10 years ago)

Petshop of Horrors

Only magical girl involving anime I like is "Is this a zombie?". =P
just watched latest Space Bros, poor Olga :sad:

Original post by Aiko

Indeed, was quite cool to see Yaya (I'm beginning to remember her name now) fight against the other doll. The movement was surprisingly fluid. This one is a definite keeper for me weekly for this season.

yeah, the animation was so good, makes naruto look like crap :p:

Original post by Scienceisgood
Only magical girl involving anime I like is "Is this a zombie?". =P

:ditto: more like magical guy anime :wink: :awesome:

no matter how hard i try, i cant get into mahou shoujo :no:

Petshop of Horrors

Agree with Aiko on these - I haven't seen the first, but Petshop of Horrors is nothing worth writing home about, and Advent Children is just well animated eyecandy for existing fans of FFVII.

The only Halloween screening my anime soc ever did (as far as I'm aware) consisted of the first arc of Higurashi, and the first episode of Demon Prince Enma. That was a pretty terrifying combo. :biggrin: I might ask the current president if they have anything special planned for tomorrow out of curiosity, since they meet on Thursdays. :beard:

Original post by Aiko
Perhaps something like Puella Magi Madoka Magica would have been a better choice for your society to show, even though it's relatively new, as it offers a darker slant on the genre, which would probably appeal to newcomers more.

Not sure I'd agree with you on this, though - Madoka Magica might have wider appeal than the likes of Nanoha, but as someone who used to put together themed screenings for a society myself, I'd argue that it isn't the best example to use to showcase the magical girl 'genre', since it's basically a complete deconstruction of said genre. :beard:

We did actually show Madoka at Aberanime's 'History of Magical Girls' night (which was just a collection of first eps), but we felt it was more appropriate as a show to end on - a darker twist on all the tropes established over several decades, many of which featured in the earlier shows. I believe the lineup was Mahou Tsukai Sally, Creamy Mami *might have pushed for this one, but hey, it's the first 'magical idol' show, and the first of many produced by Pierrot*, Cardcaptor Sakura, Nanoha and Madoka Magica. Huge shame that there wasn't also space for Sailor Moon (and part of me wanted to see it shown precisely BECAUSE one opinionated member said he would walk out if we screened it), but the committee thought Cardcaptor Sakura would be a more popular (and arguably equally important) choice to represent the 90s. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
We had our Halloween showing the other night :tongue:

We had:
Higurashi
Elfen Lied
GANTZ
Zombie-Loan
Hell Girl

Wasn't too bad but preferred the Psychological to the actual horror :smile:
Reply 5858
Original post by eugenius 8
yeah, the animation was so good, makes naruto look like crap :p:

Honestly, I'm quite fond of Naruto's animation, especially its character design. You immediately know that it's from Naruto, there's nothing else like it. :tongue:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
The only Halloween screening my anime soc ever did (as far as I'm aware) consisted of the first arc of Higurashi, and the first episode of Demon Prince Enma. That was a pretty terrifying combo. :biggrin: I might ask the current president if they have anything special planned for tomorrow out of curiosity, since they meet on Thursdays. :beard:

I'm trying to think of an anime that was remotely scary for me and the only one that comes to mind is Monster. Some of the scenes were quite intense. Aside from this, nothing. I suppose Higurashi had its moments. That and Yuno from Mirai Nikki looking through the letterbox. :tongue:

Not sure I'd agree with you on this, though - Madoka Magica might have wider appeal than the likes of Nanoha, but as someone who used to put together themed screenings for a society myself, I'd argue that it isn't the best example to use to showcase the magical girl 'genre', since it's basically a complete deconstruction of said genre. :beard:

We did actually show Madoka at Aberanime's 'History of Magical Girls' night (which was just a collection of first eps), but we felt it was more appropriate as a show to end on - a darker twist on all the tropes established over several decades, many of which featured in the earlier shows. I believe the lineup was Mahou Tsukai Sally, Creamy Mami *might have pushed for this one, but hey, it's the first 'magical idol' show, and the first of many produced by Pierrot*, Cardcaptor Sakura, Nanoha and Madoka Magica. Huge shame that there wasn't also space for Sailor Moon (and part of me wanted to see it shown precisely BECAUSE one opinionated member said he would walk out if we screened it), but the committee thought Cardcaptor Sakura would be a more popular (and arguably equally important) choice to represent the 90s. :tongue:

I think we're tackling this from a different angle. You were trying to introduce mahou shoujo to your audience/society, whereas I was trying to think of an anime that would appeal to an audience that has no experience of the genre and would probably like, even though I agree it's very much a deconstruction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5859
Original post by Aiko
This is not necessarily a bad thing, if that's what you're implying. Yes, it's low budget, but I think Trigger have done a really good job in spite of that. I'll admit that the latest episode was a bit sketchy, though.

Re-reading that it does sound like I'm being sarcastic, although that wasn't actually the intention.

I've honestly re-watched the latest episode of KLK several times cause I just enjoyed the filler, especially the parts with Mako's reactions. There's also a sense of the anime staff having fun, it really does a good job of re-capturing the kind of passion that this same team would have put into TTGL all those years ago.

Very high hopes for it overall.

Latest