The Student Room Group

Debenhams unveils size 16 mannequins

Debenhams has made a step forward in promoting body confidence by becoming the first high-street retailer to permanently introduce size 16 mannequins.

The new mannequins, which were trialled by the high street store three years ago, will be used at its shop in Oxford Street, London.

They will appear alongside size 10 dummies on all women’s fashion floors, before being rolled out across all 170 of Debenhams’ UK stores.

Size 10 is the standard size for mannequins on the high street, a far cry from the dimensions of the average British woman.

Debenhams director Ed Watson said: ‘The average British woman is a size 16, but the high street has been showing them clothing on a mannequin that is three sizes smaller until now.

‘Having worked on this project for three years, we hope that it will help people in some small way to feel comfortable about their bodies and, crucially, that other retailers will follow.’
The move was backed by equalities minister Jo Swinson, who has led a Government drive to promote body confidence among women.

http://www.dailymail.uk.com/debenhams-unveils-size-16-mannequins-that-reflect-the-average-womans-body-and-says-other-retailers-should-follow-suit/

Here's a picture of a 'plus' size 16 'model':

I'd honestly rather have a nice clean wiener in my mouth and I'm not even gay.

Srs though, it poses the question: How can we tackle the obesity problem. For sure we cannot let it get worse and worse and make it become acceptable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Women have zero responsibility in this society.
Reply 2
Original post by vendettax
Women have zero responsibility in this society.

Well this doesn't have much to do with responsibility per se, but straight up high street stores should tell people who want their stuff to lose weight if they want it, men and women, although it's mostly women who complain that stores don't accommodate their style or promote fat people [you'll very rarely find men who do this].
Reply 3
Original post by Ultimate1
Well this doesn't have much to do with responsibility per se, but straight up high street stores should tell people who want their stuff to lose weight if they want it, men and women, although it's mostly women who complain that stores don't accommodate their style or promote fat people [you'll very rarely find men who do this].

Go to google images and type in "fat acceptance".

Note how every single photo is a fat woman, not a man. Because they only care about women being seen as sexy. Even fat women don't want fat men.
Reply 4
That woman is a size 16? Really?
Edit; The whole thing is utterly pointless because the mannequins don't really look like the average size 16 woman looks. They are just trying to make themselves look nice to women.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I guess in a way you could say this is a good thing as it boosts the confidence of obese people.

Although I would agree that it does pose the risk of promoting obesity.

Quick Reply

Latest