The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hadn't watched all that much anime for ages so I've been watching a few shows from the current season as well as a few old ones I've missed. From this season I've been watching Kill la Kill (which is what made me come back to anime & has definitely lived up to my expectations) as well as watching Outbreak Company which I really enjoy. Then from previous seasons I've been watching Tsuritama (which is awesome; only got one episode left though), Psycho-Pass (which is okay) & Daily Lives of High School Boys (which is quite amusing).
Original post by Willum Infanta
Hai guise, I recently watched the film Howl's moving castle thanks to a lovely TSR person I had round at mine and I thought it was pretty good despite not really liking a lot of anime stuff.

Just wanted to know if you guys knew any other films that are similar to it in regards to art style and just the general feel of it.

Thanks <3

Any Studio Ghibli film (same makers of Howl's). Check out Laputa: Castle in the sky & Spirited Away amongst other things :tongue:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Any Studio Ghibli film (same makers of Howl's). Check out Laputa: Castle in the sky & Spirited Away amongst other things :tongue:

Thank yaaa, just checked and it says Studio Ghibli haven't made many films which is pretty crap, althogh I'll check out the others, I have heard of Spirited Away unsurprisingly :ahee:
Thank yaaa, just checked and it says Studio Ghibli haven't made many films which is pretty crap, althogh I'll check out the others, I have heard of Spirited Away unsurprisingly :ahee:

They've made quite a few and are known as the big film makers of anime. This is the full list... theres plenty to watch :smile:

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/studios/studio-ghibli
Just watched several episodes of Btoom! It's good but... kind of weird, it involves a lot of sexual assault as far as I can tell, makes me think it's a sub theme or something :p:
Original post by Artymess
I need a anime suggestions :holmes: looking for a new series to watch
Back in the day it was all Shaman King, Naruto and Bleach. These days it's more like Hellsing, Deadman Wonderland, Cowboy Bebop etc :holmes:

Give me your suggestions, I was thinking maybe FMA or Trigun or something :sly:

FMAB > FMA.
I found Trigun kinda boring, probably because of what it is based on and I hate westerns...

If you want a good comedy, I would suggestion Binbougami Ga - English Translation = Good Luck Girl!

There is this girl who absorbs all the "good fortune" around her from everyone, albeit unintentionally. So, a Misfortune God comes along to try and reclaim it because while she isn't doing it on purpose, she is making the lives of everyone around her miserable because she keeps absorbing their good fortune.

Of course, she does everything in her power to prevent it with hilarious results! XD

So many other anime references including DBZ, Death Note, One Piece etc... XD

Small Clip:

[video="youtube;j9wu3vtwiTI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9wu3vtwiTI[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Back in the day it was all Shaman King, Naruto and Bleach. These days it's more like Hellsing, Deadman Wonderland, Cowboy Bebop etc :holmes:

FMA (Brotherhood) and Trigun are both very good series indeed, but if you still want a few other ideas, I'd suggest:

Outlaw Star - Underrated classic.

Attack on Titan - Probably the most talked about series to air for years.

Mirai Nikki - My personal fave out of all the recent 'survival game' shows.

Samurai Champloo - Ridiculously stylish.

Baccano! - Manages to fit a lot of fun characters and plot twists into 13 eps.

Hope that something there takes your interest. :smile:
My favourite scene though is any scene with Momou (can't spell it...)
Basically, he is a deity which, when he experiences extreme pleasure (he likes it rough, so, whenever he gets the crap beaten out of him by a female) he will instantly turn into his canine form (or vice versa if in canine form and will turn into his human form).

Death Note parody:

[video="youtube;WCYIxhvrnaw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCYIxhvrnaw[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)

Hajime no Ippo :sexface:
Reply 6049
I think Mako had the best special Kill la Kill Uniniform in that ep with the fight club.:hmmm:
So finally got around to watching a bit of Spice and Wolf and it looks good :tongue: I wanna marathon it but our ani' soc' seems to have picked it up for at least a while.

On the other hand a cheeky friend made me watch a few episodes of Chu-Bra!! without telling me what it was :colondollar: the premise and plot just seems really strange. Why on earth many people would watch this I don't know :lol:
Reply 6051
Hai guise, I recently watched the film Howl's moving castle thanks to a lovely TSR person I had round at mine and I thought it was pretty good despite not really liking a lot of anime stuff.

Just wanted to know if you guys knew any other films that are similar to it in regards to art style and just the general feel of it.

Thanks <3

Howl's moving castle is a Studio Ghibli film, most of those are very well regarded and accessible to those that aren't really into anime. Search for "Studio Ghibli" and pick one you haven't seen yet.

I recommend:

Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke

But almost all of them are excellent.

Edit: I see someone has basically made this reply already T___T
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6052
I figured she'd be an annoying character but that blind girl in HxH although unintentionally is really ****ing with the king.:giggle:
Watching Shiki atm and I'm on episode 8. At first I kinda liked it but now , I don't know it feels like kinda a chore to watch it. I don't know whether to stick with it till the end or go onto berzerk.
I made the n00b mistake of thinking that Amazon's Kindle store would be the best place to buy manga for a Kindle... nope. The file quality for this particular title (Welcome to Nyan-Cafe) was terrible, and it was in a format that didn't allow panel view. Or even basic zooming. Not the best start. :s:

Then I found the same ebook on eManga for a fraction of the price, and in amazing quality, high enough to read on the device without zooming (though it's good to know that's now an option should I ever want to do so). Lesson learned. I just hope I'll be able to find manga titles from non-DMP-affiliated companies in half-decent quality, preferably on Amazon itself! :sadnod:

At least Amazon accepted my request for a refund on low quality grounds, no fuss.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I made the n00b mistake of thinking that Amazon's Kindle store would be the best place to buy manga for a Kindle... nope. The file quality for this particular title (Welcome to Nyan-Cafe) was terrible, and it was in a format that didn't allow panel view. Or even basic zooming. Not the best start. :s:

Then I found the same ebook on eManga for a fraction of the price, and in amazing quality, high enough to read on the device without zooming (though it's good to know that's now an option should I ever want to do so). Lesson learned. I just hope I'll be able to find manga titles from non-DMP-affiliated companies in half-decent quality, preferably on Amazon itself! :sadnod:

At least Amazon accepted my request for a refund on low quality grounds, no fuss.

That's the thing I like about Amazon, if you have even the slightest problem with your purchase they refund/exchange no matter what.
Original post by Dilzo999
That's the thing I like about Amazon, if you have even the slightest problem with your purchase they refund/exchange no matter what.

Yeah, I was impressed with how easy getting a refund was. Just a shame I needed one in the first place. :sadnod: I won't let this one experience put me off buying ebooks there again, but I'll certainly remember to shop around in future. :p:
Finished the second of my Secret Santa series, Zero no Tsukaima F... generic fantasy plot for about 4 out of 12 episodes (full of holes, and convenient character resurrection), while the rest was repetitive boob jokes and harem hijinks that weren't even funny. I don't know whether the 4th series was just particularly bad, or whether it's all down to me becoming more critical over time (I must have watched the third series in 2008/09, and my taste in anime has certainly changed since then). Once again I feel I should apologise to 'Santa' for my scathing reviews so far, but this and Kill Me Baby were both series I chose to skip watching back when they aired, and it seems my instincts were right. :o:

Beelzebub, though, aired before I got into the habit of sampling the first eps of everything every season. I don't know what to expect, but the synopsis has me interested. :yes: Can't promise I'll finish this as quickly as the other two due to its length, but I'll aim to have it watched before the New Year. :smile:
Fairy Tail, Afro Happy ftw! XD

Spoiler

Just watched 'The Garden Of Words' and I'm surprised to say I really liked it! The story was just awesome, loved the music too.

Latest