The Student Room Group

Horrific violence in Central African Republic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWrue4WtQYU

This video depicts the violence these subhuman savages indulge in. The content is an extremely graphic roasting of 3 people accused of witchcraft. These aren't medieval times, this is 2013, these atrocities are happening right now.

Scroll to see replies

My heart just broke for humans.
Reply 2
:eek:
Original post by CEKTOP

This video depicts the violence these subhuman savages indulge in. The content is an extremely graphic roasting of 3 people accused of witchcraft. These aren't medieval times, this is 2013, these atrocities are happening right now.

You obviously know little about the history of Witchcraft. That being said it is a horrific video.
Original post by Rational Thinker
You obviously know little about the history of Witchcraft. That being said it is a horrific video.

I wonder at the mind who, after watching that video, thought this was the salient, take-home point.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I wonder at the mind who, after watching that video, thought this was the salient, take-home point.

It is a horrific video. No one is denying that, however the Witch Trials we are familiar with were an Early Modern not Medieval phenomenon. I'm afraid that the substitute medieval for anything you dislike is an ignorant assumption that deserves to be ridiculed.
Reply 6
It is a horrific video. No one is denying that, however the Witch Trials we are familiar with were an Early Modern not Medieval phenomenon. I'm afraid that the substitute medieval for anything you dislike is an ignorant assumption that deserves to be ridiculed.

Witch hunting in one form or another can be traced back to antiquity. During the middle ages there even were a number of official documents authorising punishment for witchcraft.

Guess the ignorant person is you.

Funnily enough, not everyone knows everything about everything. The OP probably assumed that we would focus on the actual point of the thread i.e. highlighting barbarism and fatal ignorance occurring in this day and age, and not the fact that she was out by a century or two regarding her commentary.

By all means, ridicule away, but you'll probably find people are more receptive to an impromptu education (and you'll look a lot less like an *******) when you pick your battles appropriately.
Yeah, nobody cares because it doesn't involve any Americans.
Original post by CEKTOP
Witch hunting in one form or another can be traced back to antiquity. During the middle ages there even were a number of official documents authorising punishment for witchcraft.

Guess the ignorant person is you.

Note that I said the Witch hunt "we are familiar with". Those documents were at the very end of the Medieval period and not representative of the period itself. In fact the Medieval period regarded Witches as relatively benign it took the religious sectarianism of the reformation to let the frenzy really begin. Your attempt is a failure and was always going to be such. Perhaps more time at the sources and less attempts at a poorly judged attack would be appropriate for you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by CEKTOP

Some areas of the world have not developed and evolved as fast as we did. Cannot compare that to "2013".
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Funnily enough, not everyone knows everything about everything. The OP probably assumed that we would focus on the actual point of the thread i.e. highlighting barbarism and fatal ignorance occurring in this day and age, and not the fact that she was out by a century or two regarding her commentary.

By all means, ridicule away, but you'll probably find people are more receptive to an impromptu education (and you'll look a lot less like an *******) when you pick your battles appropriately.

It is an important clarification. If the OP wants to end witch trials they need to find a common theme and the best place to find such a place is in the Early Modern not the Medieval period.
It is an important clarification. If the OP wants to end witch trials they need to find a common theme and the best place to find such a place is in the Early Modern not the Medieval period.

I don't really see how knowing the correct century in which the witch trials occurred will help the victims in Africa today in any way.
Reply 13
Note that I said the Witch hunt "we are familiar with". Those documents were at the very end of the Medieval period and not representative of the period itself. In fact the Medieval period regarded Witches as relatively benign it took the religious sectarianism of the reformation to let the frenzy really begin. Your attempt is a failure and was always going to be such. Perhaps more time at the sources and less attempts at a poorly judged attack would be appropriate for you?

I never claimed that I was talking about the well-known witch craze in my initial post. Learn to read properly prior to making groundless accusations and going off-topic. You can't really accuse me of factual inconsistency if you take the time to read my initial message.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by danny111
Some areas of the world have not developed and evolved as fast as we did. Cannot compare that to "2013".

This is the fault of the developed nations. Those with greater knowledge and understanding have a duty to educate the less fortunate ones.
Original post by CEKTOP
This is the fault of the developed nations. Those with greater knowledge and understanding have a duty to educate the less fortunate ones.
<br />
<br />
I knew some fool would blame the West.
Reply 16
Original post by CEKTOP

You can't educate people that have been brainwashed their entire childhood.
Reply 17
Wow.... I'm going to watch a load of cute animal videos now to get those images out of my head.
Reply 18
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
<br />
<br />
I knew some fool would blame the West.

Are you one of the advocates of letting the poor starve and the ignorant destroy themselves? France used this territory as a colony and never ensured that CAR was prepared for its transition to independence. The country has been ravaged by power struggles and brutalised by dictators ever since. Don't you think something is wrong with this picture?
Reply 19
Original post by danny111
You can't educate people that have been brainwashed their entire childhood.

You can, there are precedents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending