The Student Room Group

english languagae

I really need to boost my English language grade to a B,could someone give me some pointers and key aspects to consider. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am in the same situation as you, and I would definitely say extend your vocabulary. So what ever the word was you were going to use go on to the online thesaurus and it will give you loads of similar words. I did this in Shakespeare and came out with an A. However, don't let your grammar and punctuation slip.
Is English one of your Foreign languages? then I would advice you to improve your knowlesges in vocabularies. In 'further' English (Advanced Level) there might be some unknown words in a long text which have to be understand well to get a good text apprehension.

Otherwise write your exact problems/lacks in English up, so I am able to give you better advices.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SKHSSTUDENT
I really need to boost my English language grade to a B,could someone give me some pointers and key aspects to consider. Thanks :smile:

Try adding more better vocabulary into your work, more devices e.g. similes, metaphors, different sentence structure. Don't know what else :/
Try as hard as you can in controlled assessments that's the main one to help get a B since they basically make up your grade.
If you want to improve your English as foreigner, I would advice you too to learn some (useful) idiomatic expressions like

- Everything at proper time
- Here's to you!
- at any rate
- by no means

and so on...
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ChocoholicCox
Try adding more better vocabulary into your work, more devices e.g. similes, metaphors, different sentence structure. Don't know what else :/
Try as hard as you can in controlled assessments that's the main one to help get a B since they basically make up your grade.

Reply 7

For your coursework, make sure you work as hard as you can considering you have more control over them.
For your exams, if the exam board is AQA, have a ook at this and see if it helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzZqc44J4k. Good luck for your exams :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Pallz
For your coursework, make sure you work as hard as you can considering you have more control over them.
For your exams, if the exam board is AQA, have a ook at this and see if it helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzZqc44J4k. Good luck for your exams :smile:

will do,Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Have a look at Mr Bruff on you tube, lots of info on how to improve grades and accessible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
will do,Thanks :smile:

No worries :smile::cool::u:
Reply 11
Original post by Kallisto
If you want to improve your English as foreigner, I would advice you too to learn some (useful) idiomatic expressions like

- Everything at proper time
- Here's to you!
- at any rate
- by no means

and so on...

I'm a foreigner do you have any links??
Reply 12
Original post by charlie144
i am in the same situation as you, and i would definitely say extend your vocabulary. So what ever the word was you were going to use go on to the online thesaurus and it will give you loads of similar words. I did this in shakespeare and came out with an a. However, don't let your grammar and punctuation slip.

omg thank you so much for the link
Reply 13
If anyone else can help me as well I need some help to improve my English writing (essays) ,I need to learn new words and how to get a 'C' ,I've got an exam in 5 months.

Thank you in advance for your help
Original post by Riko-Slk
I'm a foreigner do you have any links??

Links about idiomatic expressions in English? no, I'm sorry! But I can give you this link: http://www.dict.cc/
its a dictionary which also contains some idiomatics expressions and phrases too. I'm still using this dictionary when I'm browsing TSR.
Reply 15
Links about idiomatic expressions in English? no, I'm sorry! But I can give you this link: http://www.dict.cc/
its a dictionary which also contains some idiomatics expressions and phrases too. I'm still using this dictionary when I'm browsing TSR.

Ok thanks do you have any links to help to write better essays?
Reply 16

Very usefull link

I'm french and I can have the english translation into french!

thx so much
Ok thanks do you have any links to help to write better essays?

No, I don't. When I had to write essays in English, I got a list with helpful expressions... what about you?

Very usefull link

I'm french and I can have the english translation into french!

thx so much

You are welcome. Good to know that my link was very useful.
Reply 18
No, I don't. When I had to write essays in English, I got a list with helpful expressions... what about you?

You are welcome. Good to know that my link was very useful.

Could you give me a 'list of helpful expression' please?
I got an A however it was impossible for me because my coursework mark was a B and I got a C in the mock. When it came to exam revision I got newspapers and annotated them and I did loads of past papers. Most importantly I extended my vocabulary and that is what I think really boosts up your marks in the writing section. Also you should read a lot of books, when I started to read regularly, I improved in many areas which I also believe allowed me to perform well in my exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest