The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SiMan
Big day tomorrow! Any last minute tips and advise? :smile:

Good luck!

Head up, smile, speak slowly and clearly.
Reply 1701
Original post by Helenia
Good luck!

Head up, smile, speak slowly and clearly.

Thank you! and will try.. as far as it goes..:redface:
Original post by SiMan
Thank you! and will try.. as far as it goes..:redface:

Lol go to sleep already ... Jeez .. Do I need to be ur parent and remind u that u have an interview tomorrow lol lol lol lol ( I hope that relieved some of ur tension ,.... No please go away lol lol just kidding sleep like a baby wake up refreshed and smash it.... See it's so simple... No one tells me these things ....,god how lucky u are lol lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1703
Original post by SiMan
Hopefully it'll all pay off. Anyways yeah going to get some rest and let's hope it's a day to remember (in a good way):smile:

Seriously now, SLEEP!
Hi guys I was wondering of anybody can give me some advice! I have this habit of waffling in my answers and not really getting to the point although I feel that what I am saying is relevant I kind of have this need to explain myself really well.

All my answers generally use examples from my own experience where relevant to kind of substantiate it. BUT everytime my feed back is too much talk, take a break, not getting to the point till like after 4 minutes of taking. To me time flies so I sometimes don't notice it.

I think it natural in me but it's probably going to make me fail my interviews, I already got put on hold with Manchester and I thought my interview went well. So does anyone have any advice?
Original post by raveen789
Hi guys I was wondering of anybody can give me some advice! I have this habit of waffling in my answers and not really getting to the point although I feel that what I am saying is relevant I kind of have this need to explain myself really well.

All my answers generally use examples from my own experience where relevant to kind of substantiate it. BUT everytime my feed back is too much talk, take a break, not getting to the point till like after 4 minutes of taking. To me time flies so I sometimes don't notice it.

I think it natural in me but it's probably going to make me fail my interviews, I already got put on hold with Manchester and I thought my interview went well. So does anyone have any advice?

I have the exact same problem and I have an interview at UEA tomorrow. I don't know how to properly structure my responses and sometimes I go off on a tangent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I have the exact same problem and I have an interview at UEA tomorrow. I don't know how to properly structure my responses and sometimes I go off on a tangent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure what to do other than try my best not to. I kind of have a different problem where I have too much to say and not enough time and I'm never 100% sure if everything I've said is completely relevant to the question being asked :/
Reply 1707
x

In practice stuff i've done the exact same, the way I dealt with it for real interviews is just to say a phrase like 'the main reasons blah blah' or 'I think there's really 3 main blah blah for me' at the start of you're answer. It gives you time to think about what you'll say and kind of outlines where you're answer might go (I hope that makes sense).
Original post by richtea5
In practice stuff i've done the exact same, the way I dealt with it for real interviews is just to say a phrase like 'the main reasons blah blah' or 'I think there's really 3 main blah blah for me' at the start of you're answer. It gives you time to think about what you'll say and kind of outlines where you're answer might go (I hope that makes sense).

Yeah that's a good plan ! Will try this in my next mock :biggrin: I just find it super hard to keep it within. 2 mins every time I do I feel my answer lacks substance or I've not said enough if you know what I mean ! :smile:

Thanks!!
Reply 1709
Yeah that's a good plan ! Will try this in my next mock :biggrin: I just find it super hard to keep it within. 2 mins every time I do I feel my answer lacks substance or I've not said enough if you know what I mean ! :smile:

Thanks!!

well but do you really need that feeling you covered the question fully? I dont want to sound mean or anything but if everyone tells you its fine if you cut it short then maybe just leave it like that and dont worry about that :wink:. If your 'long talk' tactic didnt work at Manchester maybe try this one this time? I hope you understood my point :P

and good luck! (wheres this interview btw?)
Reply 1710
did anyone get a medical interview at cardiff university? - im an internatIonal applicant…..
Original post by Aniaa
well but do you really need that feeling you covered the question fully? I dont want to sound mean or anything but if everyone tells you its fine if you cut it short then maybe just leave it like that and dont worry about that :wink:. If your 'long talk' tactic didnt work at Manchester maybe try this one this time? I hope you understood my point :P

and good luck! (wheres this interview btw?)

Thanks! no its ok im happy you have given it to me straight. Guess its more practice in the mirror :tongue:

Barts and I think it is my top choice so I can't really mess up. I usually have the confidence and the smile ect but ramble on a lot!
I started the thread and never followed it. Feeling crap. :P
Anyways, gonna keep track from now on.
Here's a q:
Suggest ways in which anything similar to Mid-Staffordshire NHS trust scandal could be prevented in the future.
Here's a q:
Suggest ways in which anything similar to Mid-Staffordshire NHS trust scandal could be prevented in the future.
Reply 1714
Heyy just wondering for a Multi Mini Interview what preparation can you really do apart from ethics? thanks
Reply 1715
Original post by Priya_Biju
Here's a q:

Better staffing levels, a lack of both qualified nurses and consultants was a problem as less professionals = less time able to be spent with individual patients. Better management - boards failed to act quickly or recognise danger signs. Having hospitals participate in regular audit processes in the various different departments to ensure that high clinical standards are constantly adhered to. The new process of revalidation should ensure that all doctors are constantly meeting standards outlined in good medical practice, also maybe more emphasis on softer skills such as empathy throughout medical and nursing training... Not particularly sure what else, think that kinda addresses the main concerns though?
Original post by Eva.Gregoria

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did it go? Was it what you expected? Any tips? :smile:

I have mine next week and I'm feeling slightly nervous/sick.
Reply 1717
Original post by Esta16
Heyy just wondering for a Multi Mini Interview what preparation can you really do apart from ethics? thanks

Well the usual stuff - keeping up to date on news/ things that interest you and also doing the more general interview prep (ie thinking about yourself) and how you'll talk about things you've done in a concise, clear way.. that's my main plan. Ive got an MMI in 4 weeks :smile:
Reply 1718
Original post by richtea5
Well the usual stuff - keeping up to date on news/ things that interest you and also doing the more general interview prep (ie thinking about yourself) and how you'll talk about things you've done in a concise, clear way.. that's my main plan. Ive got an MMI in 4 weeks :smile:

Mines next week xD, I have done lots of small things but doesnt feel like I have done enough preparation at all. Don't really know what else to learn as I keep up with the news and had like 7 mock interviews with positive feedback. So a bit unsure xD
Reply 1719
Original post by Esta16
Mines next week xD, I have done lots of small things but doesnt feel like I have done enough preparation at all. Don't really know what else to learn as I keep up with the news and had like 7 mock interviews with positive feedback. So a bit unsure xD

honestly that sounds really good - I think there is a point were you cant do anything extra and if the feedbacks good just keep doing what you're doing id say! I think also remember you probably have quite limited time in you're MMI so giving concise answers is probably more important than in longer more traditional interviews :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending