The Student Room Group

Doing CAM/CIPR/CIM courses whilst at uni or after graduation?

Hi guys

I was wondering whether its a good idea to get an accredited qualification after university or during.
I really want to get into public relations/marketing and I'm ready to give myself an advantage by any means.
I have lots of relevant work experience from unpaid SME agency work placements to a paid summer one in a big firm.

Will forking up money for an approved course be worth it or is it better to land myself a role first and do it online perhaps?

When do people usually do these courses anyway?
During limbo of graduation and grad job or during university?

Ideally I would like to do the courses where it says you need to be a grad or have min two years of experience

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
Original post by gillian768
Hi guys

I was wondering whether its a good idea to get an accredited qualification after university or during.
I really want to get into public relations/marketing and I'm ready to give myself an advantage by any means.
I have lots of relevant work experience from unpaid SME agency work placements to a paid summer one in a big firm.

Will forking up money for an approved course be worth it or is it better to land myself a role first and do it online perhaps?

When do people usually do these courses anyway?
During limbo of graduation and grad job or during university?

Ideally I would like to do the courses where it says you need to be a grad or have min two years of experience

What do you guys think?

Hello,

I completed my professional diploma with CIM during a 2 year BTEC IT course. Although, since starting full-time work for a leading digital marketing agency in the UK, along with starting a BA in marketing from home (distance learning degree), it's clear that I wouldn't have sufficient time to complete this level of course during my degree, let alone undertaking full-time university.

The quickest completion time for a professional diploma is 9 months (3 modules at 3 months each - slightly depending on the college you choose to use).

Feel free to reply if you need any more help/support/guidance with the course structure, the process of work etc.

Dan
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DMac
Hello,

I completed my professional diploma with CIM during a 2 year BTEC IT course. Although, since starting full-time work for a leading digital marketing agency in the UK, along with starting a BA in marketing from home (distance learning degree), it's clear that I wouldn't have sufficient time to complete this level of course during my degree, let alone undertaking full-time university.

The quickest completion time for a professional diploma is 9 months (3 modules at 3 months each - slightly depending on the college you choose to use).

Feel free to reply if you need any more help/support/guidance with the course structure, the process of work etc.

Dan

Thanks so much for your reply.
I think I might have to do it after university. Do you think I can cope with a full time job and a course?
Reply 3
Original post by gillian768
Thanks so much for your reply.
I think I might have to do it after university. Do you think I can cope with a full time job and a course?

Hello,

No problem at all! Yes, it's quite a lot of work (especially if this your first experience with marketing modules). The work must be based on real-life situations or marketing scenarios, supported by academic theory. So, working in a firm while studying can help dramatically.

I studied with Oxford College of Marketing. They are, without question, one of the best college's to study with. It's all self funded, yet they can offer a monthly payment scheme.

Dan
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending