The Student Room Group

Should i do a business managent degree?

I'm still deciding my degree, i don't know if i should do a business management degree in uni because i feel like it would be a waste since i don't want to start my own business or go into marketing/consultancy etc.

That being said, I know that i want to go into something business related since i am studying a business course. The reason that i am highly considering a business management degree is because i will enjoy it and find it easy, however i don't know where it will lead me to career wise, so i would appreciate some advice. I also have a 7 in GCSE maths and decent GCSE's overall if that helps?
Original post by budddda
I'm still deciding my degree, i don't know if i should do a business management degree in uni because i feel like it would be a waste since i don't want to start my own business or go into marketing/consultancy etc.

That being said, I know that i want to go into something business related since i am studying a business course. The reason that i am highly considering a business management degree is because i will enjoy it and find it easy, however i don't know where it will lead me to career wise, so i would appreciate some advice. I also have a 7 in GCSE maths and decent GCSE's overall if that helps?

You can pretty much go into any business role with little to no qualifications. Having said that, if you want a business related qualification, it's often better to get the professional certifications e.g. CIM for marketing, CIPD for HR, ACA for accounting, etc.
In other words, you can decide to go into a business related role right after your A Levels/IB if you wanted (as well as right after your GCSEs).

If you want to do a degree in management, then go and do one if you want. However, I wouldn't do the degree for the sake of having a degree (so many wrong reasons for doing a degree for the sake of having a degree).
If you want a degree (for any reason) and you want to pick a subject you're good at, you're free to pick one in business management.

Graduates are often treated like people who know next to nothing because they lack relevant experience (even if their degree is relevant). As such, your degree will mean very little other than to meet regulatory requirements, if there are any. Outside of architecture, life sciences, academia, education, healthcare, and engineering, it's very likely your degree usually won't mean very much e.g. a philosophy graduate would be treated the same as a graduate in modern languages for marketing roles.

You can still use the management degree to get into any business related role, but then again there aren't any requirements for you to have a degree (let alone a degree in management) to go into a business role. You can also use the degree to apply for any other role that don't require you to have any specific qualification or would accept a graduate in any subject. Let me know if you want a list of these types of careers (it's a relatively long list).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending