The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Which MMU fashion courses is the best?

Which MMU fashion business courses (Fashion business management/ fashion marketing/fashion buying& merchandising/fashion communication) is the best, based on teaching quality/graduate prospects/ student experience?

I discovered that MMU fashion business management has CMI (the chartered management institute) accreditation and graduates will be awarded the CMI diploma in management and leadership.
Fashion marketing graduates will have CIM( The chartered institute of marketing) accredited degree.
For fashion buying and merchandising, from the course outline it mentions that this course has a strong reputation for producing industry ready and professionals. It also has British Fashion Council endorsement.

All these courses sound great so I don’t know which ones would be the best among these four courses and which course can be the backup choice after the most recommended one.
Original post by Ruby12hty
Which MMU fashion business courses (Fashion business management/ fashion marketing/fashion buying& merchandising/fashion communication) is the best, based on teaching quality/graduate prospects/ student experience?

I discovered that MMU fashion business management has CMI (the chartered management institute) accreditation and graduates will be awarded the CMI diploma in management and leadership.
Fashion marketing graduates will have CIM( The chartered institute of marketing) accredited degree.
For fashion buying and merchandising, from the course outline it mentions that this course has a strong reputation for producing industry ready and professionals. It also has British Fashion Council endorsement.

All these courses sound great so I don’t know which ones would be the best among these four courses and which course can be the backup choice after the most recommended one.

Hi @Ruby12hty
All the courses you mentioned are based in the same department so will have access to the same facilities and tutors. Think about what kind of job roles you'd like to get into after you graduate. E.g. if you'd like to work in marketing, then Fashion Marketing would be the best option for you.
Hope this helps.
Chloe 🙂
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi @Ruby12hty
All the courses you mentioned are based in the same department so will have access to the same facilities and tutors. Think about what kind of job roles you'd like to get into after you graduate. E.g. if you'd like to work in marketing, then Fashion Marketing would be the best option for you.
Hope this helps.
Chloe 🙂

Will I be allowed to apply to three similar courses ( or even four?) in the same department in the same university? Will this make the admission team think I do not have enough commitment to one specific course and then decide not to give me any offers/ decrease the chances of getting offers, just because I apply to three similar courses? Or it is usually just allowed to apply to maximum two similar courses in the same uni? more than two courses will be considered as an inconfident applicant who doesn't have enough commitment?

I would like to apply to fashion business management ,fashion buying & merchandising and fashion marketing/ fashion communication. Fashion business management is the most favourite one and I will also apply to either of the remaining ones as the backup choices ( I think I may also apply to fashion buying & merchandsing, but for the third one, not sure it will be fashion marketing or fashion communciation) . It is because it is not guaranteed to receive the alternative course offer if I don’t choose the choice of alternative course in the beginning. I won’t consider choosing other uni as I can only stay in Manchester.

For the entry requirements, the UCAS points of fashion business management ,fashion buying & merchandising are the same (104-112). Fashion marketing requires 112-120 ucas points. Fashion communication requires 104-112 UCAS points but it also requires a portfolio. I am an international student so I didn’t participate in any GCSE or Alevel and the admission team can’t answer if my qualification fulfils its requirement until I submit the application.Actually my most favourite one is fashion business management but I may choose fashion communication as my backup choice. It is because fashion communication requires a portfolio apart from qualification and I write a bit creative stuff in my personal statement. I am not sure if the admission team will think I perform better in fashion communication, and then choose to give me the offer of fashion communication and reject my fashion business management application? But actually fashion business management is my no.1 choice.

I am not very sure how does the admission team decide to give me the offer. Does the admission team deal with each course application individually? In other words, the uni can give me offers of three courses? Will it think I perform better in other backup choice ( like fashion communication), and then decide not to give me the offer of fashion business management?

The last question will be is it true that the uni will still give me offer if I perform well in my portfolio even though my grade is a bit lower than the basic requirement? Or, if I can't fulfil the basic grade requirement, I won't be able to receive the offer evn though I perform well in my portfolio?

Many Thanks
Original post by Ruby12hty
Will I be allowed to apply to three similar courses ( or even four?) in the same department in the same university? Will this make the admission team think I do not have enough commitment to one specific course and then decide not to give me any offers/ decrease the chances of getting offers, just because I apply to three similar courses? Or it is usually just allowed to apply to maximum two similar courses in the same uni? more than two courses will be considered as an inconfident applicant who doesn't have enough commitment?

I would like to apply to fashion business management ,fashion buying & merchandising and fashion marketing/ fashion communication. Fashion business management is the most favourite one and I will also apply to either of the remaining ones as the backup choices ( I think I may also apply to fashion buying & merchandsing, but for the third one, not sure it will be fashion marketing or fashion communciation) . It is because it is not guaranteed to receive the alternative course offer if I don’t choose the choice of alternative course in the beginning. I won’t consider choosing other uni as I can only stay in Manchester.

For the entry requirements, the UCAS points of fashion business management ,fashion buying & merchandising are the same (104-112). Fashion marketing requires 112-120 ucas points. Fashion communication requires 104-112 UCAS points but it also requires a portfolio. I am an international student so I didn’t participate in any GCSE or Alevel and the admission team can’t answer if my qualification fulfils its requirement until I submit the application.Actually my most favourite one is fashion business management but I may choose fashion communication as my backup choice. It is because fashion communication requires a portfolio apart from qualification and I write a bit creative stuff in my personal statement. I am not sure if the admission team will think I perform better in fashion communication, and then choose to give me the offer of fashion communication and reject my fashion business management application? But actually fashion business management is my no.1 choice.

I am not very sure how does the admission team decide to give me the offer. Does the admission team deal with each course application individually? In other words, the uni can give me offers of three courses? Will it think I perform better in other backup choice ( like fashion communication), and then decide not to give me the offer of fashion business management?

The last question will be is it true that the uni will still give me offer if I perform well in my portfolio even though my grade is a bit lower than the basic requirement? Or, if I can't fulfil the basic grade requirement, I won't be able to receive the offer evn though I perform well in my portfolio?

Many Thanks

Yes you can apply to multiple courses in the same department and same university. However, we would recommend narrowing it down to two so that you can clearly express your reasons for applying to the course in your personal statement. UCAS places a 4000 character limit on personal statements which wouldn't be enough to talk about 3 or 4 separate subjects.

The admissions team assess each application individually, so it's possible to receive offers for each different course that you apply for. You will need to fulfil the entry requirements and the portfolio requirements (if part of the application) to receive and offer for and join the course.

Further advice on making an application can be found at:
We always recommend that Home students apply via www.ucas.com by the 31st January deadline to ensure they are considered for the course of their choice. Our ability to consider applications received after the 31st January depends on the availability of places, and the number and quality of applications received, which will vary from course to course.

Hope this helps!
Chloe 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending