The Student Room Group

Does it matter which university I get into

By the looks of things I can only get into one Russell group university for business and marketing but I would have to do an extra year there. That's at Durham University.

I cant get into other Russell group universities due to having a grade 5 instead of a grade 6 in math or due to having a grade 4 in English instead of a grade 5
I can get into Essex , UEA , Hertfordshire, Derby, Sussex , Hull,University of Lincoln ,Dmu , Queen Mary University and converty University.

Ideally I dont want to study in London or travel too far up north . I'm open to moving to another place permanently but I'm more worried if the university I choose will affect my future job prospects

If anyone has any advice that would be lovely .

Scroll to see replies

What are your predicted a level grades?
Original post by Rose_99
By the looks of things I can only get into one Russell group university for business and marketing but I would have to do an extra year there. That's at Durham University.

I cant get into other Russell group universities due to having a grade 5 instead of a grade 6 in math or due to having a grade 4 in English instead of a grade 5
I can get into Essex , UEA , Hertfordshire, Derby, Sussex , Hull,University of Lincoln ,Dmu , Queen Mary University and converty University.

Ideally I dont want to study in London or travel too far up north . I'm open to moving to another place permanently but I'm more worried if the university I choose will affect my future job prospects

If anyone has any advice that would be lovely .

Most top universities will require grade 6 in Maths for business type courses as they believe that is necessary to complete their courses. Why not resit Maths and show it as pending. Universities will then add that to your offer conditions eg AAA at A level with grade 6 GCSE Maths.

Most will also require Maths A level for tis type of course and schools or colleges wouldnt accept you for A level Maths without at least grade 6 Maths.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether a course such as Business, Marketing or Management is right for you given your struggle with Maths and the Mathematical content of these courses. Most RG universities dont usually have a higher than grade 4 for English so do your research fully.

Basically if you dont meet the usual Maths requirement you need to find universities that will accept you and this will largely be lower graded universities. It isnt likely to include most RG or other top universities such as Bath.RG means nothing so I would ignore that but if you genuinely want to chase top universities for business you are goiing to have to resit your Maths. The choice is yours whetther to resit, go to a university that doesnt require a higher level of Maths or apply for a less Mathematical subject such as Law, Politics or Sociology.
Reply 3
I've already resat my Maths with my local college however they offer foundation Maths which is why i only got a grade 5 and where I work full time it would be hard for me to go to another college further away plus it would cost me £300 as I already passed. Im currently doing an access to HE I've been getting so far I've been getting Distinctions in all but 1 of my assignments .
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
What are your predicted a level grades?

My alevels are in all in art but I'm currently doing access course in social science-psychology as my local colleges don't offer an access in business but I've been getting distinctions ultimately I should have atleast 30 to 33 distinction credits out of 45 by the end of the course
Depends what you want to do afterwards. If you want to go into investment banking or management consulting then yes, it matters what uni you go to - although it's only a specific subset of unis (target unis) which will be what you need to aim for in that case.

For just about anything else it's not hugely important, and having relevant work experience through internships etc and being able to do well on psychometric tests and other assessment centre activities will be the key factor.

I'd note though you probably should aim to retake the GCSE English as quite a few jobs require a C or above (or equivalent) which some companies will consider to be a 5 or above with the numerical grades. If you do retake GCSE English you may want to also look at retaking GCSE Maths as well at the same time to widen your options for uni applications (although a 5 will normally suffice for professional purposes).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rose_99
I've already resat my Maths with my local college however they offer foundation Maths which is why i only got a grade 5 and where I work full time it would be hard for me to go to another college further away plus it would cost me £300 as I already passed. Im currently doing an access to HE I've been getting so far I've been getting Distinctions in all but 1 of my assignments .

Doing an access course suggests you are a mature student. In that case they might or might not forego the Maths requirement. You need to speak to the university to get proper advice as this might differ between universities. The issue is the Maths content of the course you are looking to study and whether they will accept your level of Marhs is high enough to get through the course.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends what you want to do afterwards. If you want to go into investment banking or management consulting then yes, it matters what uni you go to - although it's only a specific subset of unis (target unis) which will be what you need to aim for in that case.

For just about anything else it's not hugely important, and having relevant work experience through internships etc and being able to do well on psychometric tests and other assessment centre activities will be the key factor.

I'd note though you probably should aim to retake the GCSE English as quite a few jobs require a C or above (or equivalent) which some companies will consider to be a 5 or above with the numerical grades. If you do retake GCSE English you may want to also look at retaking GCSE Maths as well at the same time to widen your options for uni applications (although a 5 will normally suffice for professional purposes).

Ideally I would like to go into marketing preferably the social media side /content creating, I have considered project management. As for the resitting my English just haven't for the time and the local college only offers a foundation in English and math gcse so I wouldn't be alot better off paying to get a slightly better grade.
Original post by Rose_99
Ideally I would like to go into marketing preferably the social media side /content creating, I have considered project management. As for the resitting my English just haven't for the time and the local college only offers a foundation in English and math gcse so I wouldn't be alot better off paying to get a slightly better grade.

To be honest you just need a 5 to tick a box - it doesn't matter whether it's a 5 or a 9 as far as most unis and employers are concerned, they just want to see a 5 or above as it's seen as a basic literacy target. Doing foundation to get a 5 with hopefully minimal additional effort is probably the best option anyway.

But in any case what uni you studied at almost certainly won't matter for marketing. That said social media management and especially content creation is a bit more of a niche area so what course you study may matter - depending on exactly what kind of "content" you are envisaging you may want to consider more creative arts aligned courses in media communications, lens based media, (web) design or similar.
Reply 9
Original post by Rose_99

Original post by swanseajack1
Doing an access course suggests you are a mature student. In that case they might or might not forego the Maths requirement. You need to speak to the university to get proper advice as this might differ between universities. The issue is the Maths content of the course you are looking to study and whether they will accept your level of Marhs is high enough to get through the course.

I plan on messaging universities on Monday so far I have messaged Exeter.
Honestly most employers don't care if you have a degree or not, let alone where it is actually from.
Reply 11
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Honestly most employers don't care if you have a degree or not, let alone where it is actually from.

I really hope so I would love marketing to be my main job and main degree
Original post by Rose_99
I plan on messaging universities on Monday so far I have messaged Exeter.

Exeter are requiring grade 5 for Marketing and Management so you should be ok. Are you applying for Sept this year or next year. If this year you would be better phoning to get a quicker response.
Reply 13
Exeter are requiring grade 5 for Marketing and Management so you should be ok. Are you applying for Sept this year or next year. If this year you would be better phoning to get a quicker response.

I plan on applying for next year but they want a b or grade 5 in English
Original post by Rose_99
I plan on applying for next year but they want a b or grade 5 in English

I think you might be better ringing them, You are a mature student so things might be different. Also what is the access course in as that might help if it is humanities. You can explain all this over the phone and answer any quereis they may have.
Reply 15
Original post by artful_lounger
To be honest you just need a 5 to tick a box - it doesn't matter whether it's a 5 or a 9 as far as most unis and employers are concerned, they just want to see a 5 or above as it's seen as a basic literacy target. Doing foundation to get a 5 with hopefully minimal additional effort is probably the best option anyway.

But in any case what uni you studied at almost certainly won't matter for marketing. That said social media management and especially content creation is a bit more of a niche area so what course you study may matter - depending on exactly what kind of "content" you are envisaging you may want to consider more creative arts aligned courses in media communications, lens based media, (web) design or similar.

I will have a look into it more as I have a year to think about it . At the moment I can only really go by the jobs I see on indeed or on graduate sites and university sites . I wouldn't be unhappy if I didn't work in social media management or content creating. A standard marketing associate job would be a great start. As I plan on combining the degree with a management or business degree there may other jobs I might enjoy more.
I would like to gain a masters most likely in a fashion field as I love fashion but the money and job prospects aren’t great.
Reply 16
I think you might be better ringing them, You are a mature student so things might be different. Also what is the access course in as that might help if it is humanities. You can explain all this over the phone and answer any quereis they may have.

That might be a good idea and the access is in social science most the units are either health related ,psychology or sociology related so I have to do alot of assignments relating to statistics
For a marketing career CIM qualifications/membership will matter more than university.
Check accreditation if you get want a degree https://www.cim.co.uk/qualifications/cim-accredited-degree/

Or find a CIM recognised apprenticeship and train on the job.

Most people with a degree who go into marketing will study postgraduate professional courses with CIM once they get into work.
Original post by Rose_99
I really hope so I would love marketing to be my main job and main degree

I honestly wouldn’t bother with a marketing degree.
Reply 19
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I honestly wouldn’t bother with a marketing degree.

Besides fashion I would say marketing is probably one of the only careers I can see myself working. Plus most internships want marketing students and an increasing number of employers in the marketing sector want marketing or business students .

What other degrees would you suggest ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending