The Student Room Group

Marketing, CIM, Certificate in marketing - any advise would be greatly appreciated

Hi all,

Hope everyones well and keeping safe during these uncertain times we find ourselves in :smile:

Just to give you a bit of background.. I've worked as a Sales Development Manager for the past 6/7 years within the new build property industry, not hard sell by any stretch of the imagination.. more listening to customers, finding out the kind of home they're looking for; their wants/needs, and then presenting a product to meet their specification, with an aim of securing a sale.

You could say that I'm the face of the company, I have my own development and deal with all enquiries and customer visits It's my responsibility to project manage the customer journey from first enquiry, to the point I hand the keys over some months later.

I have a couple of questions regarding marketing. I'm not completely new to the industry, an element of my current role involves some marketing related activities but I'm now looking to move away from the sales side of things and get into more of a full on marketing role, hopefully within an agency environment.

I didn't go to university, at the time it just wasn't right for me, instead I went off and started working full time. I know I could go to uni now, study part time.. but 5/6 years of part-time studying may not open anymore doors than if I were to go down a different route.

I've been looking into doing a CIM qualification. I was wondering whether any marketers would recommend going down this route?

If anyone has completed these qualifications, I'd love to hear from you. There are various options out there, distance learning, studying via a college/Uni, I'm trying to work out which option I'd be best suited to.

It's been so long since I have studied, I don't want to overwhelm myself.

My initial plan was as follows:

Level 3 - CIM Foundation Certificate in Professional Marketing
Level 4 - CIM Certificate in Professional Digital Marketing

At this point, I'd start looking for a marketing exec role, and would then go on to study..

Level 6 - Diploma in Profesional Digital Marketing

However.. with my experience, would you say I'd be better off starting at the Level 4 stage, or would the Level 3 give me solid foundations to build on before moving onto the Level 4?

Thanks in advance.. stay safe :smile:

SalesPro
Hiya, I completed the level 4 CIM, no need to go on level 3 at all if you've already got general qualifications GCSE/a-level.

I completed it as a distance learner, was quite simple, I've worked in marketing for 3 years now and started CIM in my first year and paid for it myself so there was hardly any requirements or limitations.

Literally learned all the foundations you need in level 4
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by llv
Hiya, I completed the level 4 CIM, no need to go on level 3 at all if you've already got general qualifications GCSE/a-level.

I completed it as a distance learner, was quite simple, I've worked in marketing for 3 years now and started CIM in my first year and paid for it myself so there was hardly any requirements or limitations.

Literally learned all the foundations you need in level 4

Hi there, thank you for replying :smile:

Can I ask how long the Level 4 took you to complete?
Original post by SalesPro
Hi there, thank you for replying :smile:

Can I ask how long the Level 4 took you to complete?

No probs, it took me a full year, I was working full-time so did all my studying in the evening and on weekends.
I have a few friends who have worked in marketing for a few years now and have gone onto starting on the Level 6 CIM route which has worked out quite well. Many of us have seemed to skip out on the uni route so we take on evening and online courses to show off a bit 😉
Reply 4
Original post by llv
No probs, it took me a full year, I was working full-time so did all my studying in the evening and on weekends.
I have a few friends who have worked in marketing for a few years now and have gone onto starting on the Level 6 CIM route which has worked out quite well. Many of us have seemed to skip out on the uni route so we take on evening and online courses to show off a bit 😉

Brill, thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

I’ll look at starting the Level 4. And then hopefully onto the Level 6 after a little break :smile:

Can I ask who you studied through? There are so many providers out there!
Brill, thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

I’ll look at starting the Level 4. And then hopefully onto the Level 6 after a little break :smile:

Can I ask who you studied through? There are so many providers out there!

I went through Oxford College of Marketing, their online portal is fab - that's of course if you're doing the distance learning and I was based in Brighton when I started so was weirdly my closest choice when googling but honestly, it doesn't make a difference. Also just to know, that out of my 3 exams only 1 of them I had to sit the exam in person - but you get to choose the venue out of the choices available, the rest were all online.

Level 6 would be great to go on once you've got some experience because I know that some of the coursework on it can be quite difficult to relate to if you've not got examples to put them to.

Feel free to DM if you need anything else and good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by llv
I went through Oxford College of Marketing, their online portal is fab - that's of course if you're doing the distance learning and I was based in Brighton when I started so was weirdly my closest choice when googling but honestly, it doesn't make a difference. Also just to know, that out of my 3 exams only 1 of them I had to sit the exam in person - but you get to choose the venue out of the choices available, the rest were all online.

Level 6 would be great to go on once you've got some experience because I know that some of the coursework on it can be quite difficult to relate to if you've not got examples to put them to.

Feel free to DM if you need anything else and good luck!

Thank you. You’ve been amazing.

I was actually looking at Oxford, so I’m so pleased that’s who you’ve completed your Level 4 with.

In terms of the Level 4, would you say that unless you were already working within a marketing role, you’d find it difficult when doing the assignments? That was my main concern.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all your advise!
Thank you. You’ve been amazing.

I was actually looking at Oxford, so I’m so pleased that’s who you’ve completed your Level 4 with.

In terms of the Level 4, would you say that unless you were already working within a marketing role, you’d find it difficult when doing the assignments? That was my main concern.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all your advise!

Not for level 4 with assignments, with level l6 it definitely gets a bit trickier and more methodical.
Reply 8
Original post by llv
Not for level 4 with assignments, with level l6 it definitely gets a bit trickier and more methodical.

Thank you! That’s brilliant :smile:
Reply 9
Sorry to jump on ,
Im looking at the L6 with Oxford , are all the assessments online ?
Ive been trying to contact them , with no joy .
From the tool online I can go straight onto the L6 so just looking to see how others find the course and subject content . My aim is to complete the L6 and go straight onto the L7 PG Dip .
Original post by username5281040

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending