The Student Room Group

US Sutton Trust Programme 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YNM96
If one's application is successful, and the applicant gets into an american university will Sutton Trust completely cover university fees?

No they don't. That would be nearly $60,000 per student per year! But they give lots of advice on how to access financial aid and they provide you with information on scholarships available to international students. Some of these scholarships are full rides (they cover everything). Don't worry about finances at this stage, just concentrate on your application :smile:
Reply 41
Sooo glad that it got extended ! Actually quite lucky for me because i hadn't actually finished my application by the primary deadline.
Can everyone state their GCSE grades if they don't mind? Just to get an idea of the academic achievement of the average candidate?
So after the initial selection, what's next?

I know there's some sort of recording of yourself involved?:confused:

Also, there might be a test? and what does that consist of?
Original post by H.Ibrahim
So after the initial selection, what's next?

I know there's some sort of recording of yourself involved?:confused:

Also, there might be a test? and what does that consist of?

When I got to the Finalists' Residential I had an informal interview with someone from Fulbright. It was just a friendly chat really - nothing to be nervous about. I then did a mock college entrance exam but don't worry about this either. One bad score won't automatically lose you your place just as a good score won't guarantee you one either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mariyah97
Sooo glad that it got extended ! Actually quite lucky for me because i hadn't actually finished my application by the primary deadline.
Can everyone state their GCSE grades if they don't mind? Just to get an idea of the academic achievement of the average candidate?

Most people will have minimum 8A/A*s and will be predicted straight A's for AS Level but remember academics are just one part of your application.
Reply 45
Original post by SuttonTrust_2013
Most people will have minimum 8A/A*s and will be predicted straight A's for AS Level but remember academics are just one part of your application.
What is Sutton Trust most concerned with, and, what are they looking for in a student? Economic background, academic success...??
Original post by YNM96
What is Sutton Trust most concerned with, and, what are they looking for in a student? Economic background, academic success...??

I suppose a combination of these things really. Their aim is to get as many students into US institutions as possible so they're looking for people who have a good chance of getting in. In the US they evaluate your background more thoroughly and take everything into consideration :biggrin:
Original post by mariyah97

8 A* (at age 14)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally finished! Those essays are really tedious, 150 words is most definitely not enough! Now, it's time to revise - Higher English Prelim on Monday Ahhhh!
Original post by Princepieman
Finally finished! Those essays are really tedious, 150 words is most definitely not enough! Now, it's time to revise - Higher English Prelim on Monday Ahhhh!

Well done! Has your teacher submitted his/her reference? :smile:

Good luck, it'd be good if we could both get on the programme! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Well done! Has your teacher submitted his/her reference? :smile:

Good luck, it'd be good if we could both get on the programme! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I had a meeting with my Depute Head on Friday and she got it sorted. Have you finished your's yet? If you have good luck!

That would be awesome! If, by chance, we both do get in just look out for the (probably the only) guy who has an American accent. :smile:
Yeah, I had a meeting with my Depute Head on Friday and she got it sorted. Have you finished your's yet? If you have good luck!

That would be awesome! If, by chance, we both do get in just look out for the (probably the only) guy who has an American accent. :smile:

Yeah, I finished mines at 1am on Wednesday! I was reading over my application and suddenly the website stopped working because of high traffic, but I was so determined that I stayed up and refreshed the page periodically. I was so relieved when at about half past midnight, it started working again, so I read it all over and finally submitted it. My teacher sent off my reference on Thursday - I'm all done! It's just a waiting game now. :smile:

I will! I think about 1 in 6 people get picked, so whilst I understand it is competitive, I still really want to get a place.

I hope what I put in the career intentions box doesn't disadvantage me. I said that I used to want to do an undergraduate in medicine, but that now I want to do a liberal arts degree, since I like so many subjects across different departments, and perform equally in all of them. I hope they don't brand me as inappropriate for the programme, since really, if you're wanting to do med, then the US isn't the best place to study at all.

Btw, do we go to the residentials in London on our own, or with a companion? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I finished mines at 1am on Wednesday! I was reading over my application and suddenly the website stopped working because of high traffic, but I was so determined that I stayed up and refreshed the page periodically. I was so relieved when at about half past midnight, it started working again, so I read it all over and finally submitted it. My teacher sent off my reference on Thursday - I'm all done! It's just a waiting game now. :smile:

I will! I think about 1 in 6 people get picked, so whilst I understand it is competitive, I still really want to get a place.

I hope what I put in the career intentions box doesn't disadvantage me. I said that I used
to want to do an undergraduate in medicine, but that now I want to do a liberal arts degree, since I like so many subjects across different departments, and perform equally in all of them. I hope they don't brand me as inappropriate for the programme, since really, if you're wanting to do med, then the US isn't the best place to study at all.

Btw, do we go to the residentials in London on our own, or with a companion? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too? I was hyperventilating on Tuesday try to get the darn thing to load up, but in the end I couldn't get onto to the site. I left it to fate but when I had heard that the deadline date would be pushed back, I donned the biggest grin ever. I felt more stressed then than I do for my prelims next week.

Yikes! That's roughly a 16% acceptance rate, that's pretty rough.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I wrote that I wanted to be the next Steve Jobs - at least they'll appreciate your honesty!

About the residentially, I have no clue. I only found out about this programme last November, try asking SuttonTrust_2013 or emailing them.
You too? I was hyperventilating on Tuesday try to get the darn thing to load up, but in the end I couldn't get onto to the site. I left it to fate but when I had heard that the deadline date would be pushed back, I donned the biggest grin ever. I felt more stressed then than I do for my prelims next week.

Yikes! That's roughly a 16% acceptance rate, that's pretty rough.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I wrote that I wanted to be the next Steve Jobs - at least they'll appreciate your honesty!

About the residentially, I have no clue. I only found out about this programme last November, try asking SuttonTrust_2013 or emailing them.

Oh no! I hope mines is as witty! :tongue:

Yeah, that application got in the way of studying for me too, which is why I'm glad I never realised there was the new deadline, because I would have devoted all my time to perfecting the form, rather than learning quotes for English! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
do you guys play sport at county level etc? dayum when i saw that i was like ffs I'm screwed
Original post by hedwig8
do you guys play sport at county level etc? dayum when i saw that i was like ffs I'm screwed

No, it quite shocked me when I saw all of those high-achieving tick-boxes too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope what I put in the career intentions box doesn't disadvantage me. I said that I used to want to do an undergraduate in medicine, but that now I want to do a liberal arts degree, since I like so many subjects across different departments, and perform equally in all of them. I hope they don't brand me as inappropriate for the programme, since really, if you're wanting to do med, then the US isn't the best place to study at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on where you live, you'll most likely get the train. The Sutton Trust covers the cost of the tickets for you and you only. If a parent wants to travel with you they'll need to sort this out for themselves. If you happen to live near another successful applicant you can travel together or meet in London and make your way to the location together. This part was the hardest for me! I'd never got the train alone before and navigating London was a challenge but luckily another girl lived really close so we always made sure we traveled together :smile:

I also think this year there will be at least 9 to 10 people for every place due to a vast increase in applicants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Wooooop, finally finished the darn thing :smile:

Took me a while, but it's finally done. Now we all play the waiting game...
Good luck to you all and remember, even if you don't make it onto the programme you can still apply to US institutions if it's your dream to study there! When you find out your decisions, feel free to send me a private message and I will send you my email address. If I become a team leader there's a chance I will meet some of you at the residentials :smile:
Reply 59
Thank goodness they extended the deadlines, couldn't get on last week at all! Just need to sort out the reference and all should be well... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending