The Student Room Group

Summer Schools - for Year 12

SUMMER SCHOOLS/RESIDENTIALS: Year 12
Hello Year 12s - my name is Emmanuella: a Year 13 student from London! I know a lot of you are probably thinking about applying to summer schools & residentials, and that is absolutely amazing! Even if you haven't yet, don't worry because you still have a lot of time to consider if you want to go to a summer school.

1) UNIQ

I applied to UNIQ and I got a place in their Linguistics summer school, which was a bit of a shock, because at the time - I couldn't see myself studying in Oxford or any other research-intensive but I was very pleased they saw some academic potential in me.

I went to Oxford in July of this year and had the best time! I made lots of new friends from all across the UK and got a taste of what student life in Oxford was like!

The UNIQ summer school was a great thing to put on my personal statement because it was a way of showing universities how engaged I was.

I definitely recommend applying to UNIQ (applications open from 11th Dec!!) - and check out their selection criteria here (you must be a state school student): Who goes on UNIQ? - UNIQ (ox.ac.uk) and register for the mailing list here: UNIQ 2024 Mailing List Signup - UNIQ (ox.ac.uk)!

Apply as soon as possible - such a great opportunity!

2) Sutton Trust

I also applied to the Sutton Trust summer schools where you choose a university to spend a few days with in your chosen subject.

I didn't get into the summer school, but I did have access to their online programme - which provides a lot of useful and helpful resources for university prep.

I also recommend applying to the Sutton Trust summer school, so click here to check out the criteria: Sutton Trust - Explore higher education on our UK Summer Schools and definitely sign up to their newsletter! (applications open Jan 2024)

Sutton Trust also offer other programmes - you can see that here: Find the right programme for you - Sutton Trust

3) Realising Opportunities

This is also a very good opportunity that I have heard about. Check their eligibility here: Eligibility - Realising Opportunities

4) Universities

Sometimes, universities have their own summer schools, so check that out (this could help you get a lower reduced offer if you end up applying to that university!)

I hope this post has helped some of you guys and if you have any questions, you can tag me @emm4nuella, but also feel free to send me a private message if preferable! Thanks :biggrin:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum
which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
wheres the link :biggrin:? is it possible for you to move my forum :smile:?
Reply 3
Step into Bath is a summer residential program hat is not just for 'widening participation' applicants - Step into Bath
Reply 4
Theres also In2Science, a STEM programme that provides work experience in the summer! I was accepted for psychology but had to decline due for overlap with UNIQ but its a shout! The social mobility foundation APP City programme is another great one, similar to Sutton Trust for a range of subjects.
Original post by Void11
Theres also In2Science, a STEM programme that provides work experience in the summer! I was accepted for psychology but had to decline due for overlap with UNIQ but its a shout! The social mobility foundation APP City programme is another great one, similar to Sutton Trust for a range of subjects.

Thank you for sharing ❤️ :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest