The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Psychology 2014 entry

Hi, I just wondered if anyone else had applied for any of the undergrad Psychology courses at Bath, and if so have you heard anything yet? I'm a mature student (27) and have applied for the BSc with placement year, but not heard anything so far.
Millie

Scroll to see replies

I'm still waiting for my reply. It's taking so long, I just want to know if I have an offer or not as this is my first choice! I applied mid December and already have two unconditional offers.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
I'm still waiting to hear from Bath! So stressful! I know a few people have got offers already so hopefully we'll hear soon...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm waiting too, it is the only one I am still waiting for, I have applied for the placement year but I know someone with an offer for the 3 year. Do any of you do the IB???
Reply 4
Original post by Thoughtshimmer
I'm waiting too, it is the only one I am still waiting for, I have applied for the placement year but I know someone with an offer for the 3 year. Do any of you do the IB???

I do A levels.

Apparently the 1st offer holder visit day is on the 5th of February. My theory is the next wave of offers will be after that date

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm on an Access course, but have A levels too. I also applied early/mid December and have had offers from 2 of my other choices, and a request for further info from another, but nothing from Bath or Nottingham. Bath would be my first choice, so I'm just a bit anxious to hear from them!
Reply 6
Original post by Millie1986
I'm on an Access course, but have A levels too. I also applied early/mid December and have had offers from 2 of my other choices, and a request for further info from another, but nothing from Bath or Nottingham. Bath would be my first choice, so I'm just a bit anxious to hear from them!

Oo nice! Where else do you have offers from? If you don't mind me asking :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Not at all! So far I have offers from Southampton and Loughborough. Just not enjoying the waiting game with the others! Where else have you applied for and where have you heard from so far?
Reply 8
Not at all! So far I have offers from Southampton and Loughborough. Just not enjoying the waiting game with the others! Where else have you applied for and where have you heard from so far?

Nice choices! Congrats!

I've heard back from all except Bath. Offers from Durham and Birmingham for straight psychology. Also one from York for psychology and education. And a pool rejection from Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I came so close to applying for Durham and York - I dithered for ages over it! I adored the look of Durham uni but the actual course didn't appeal as much as some of the others and even now I couldn't really tell you why I chose the places I did over York! Which do you think your firm and reserve will be?
Reply 10
I came so close to applying for Durham and York - I dithered for ages over it! I adored the look of Durham uni but the actual course didn't appeal as much as some of the others and even now I couldn't really tell you why I chose the places I did over York! Which do you think your firm and reserve will be?

Ah well, there's no point applying if you don't like the course! :wink:

If I get Bath, I'll definitely firm it! If not I'll choose Durham. I think I'll put York as my insurance as they asked for ABB and I love the uni/area.

Still not sure though, a part of me tells me to choose Birmingham (AAB) as the course is slightly better as I could convert to the MSci which would be good. But I really don't want to live in Birmingham! Think York will be a safer overall option. Picking insurance is so hard! :tongue:

What about you? Which will you choose? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Bath would be my first choice. I'm not entirely sure which would be my next choice as I have seen some and not others, so I won't decide until after post-offer days. I really liked Kent when I went to their open day, and I like that they offer a placement year, and their funding is also good for me, so they are a strong contender. But I haven't seen Nottingham or Southampton, so it's hard to compare.

Presumably it is the Durham course you went for rather than the one at Queens? My problem with Durham was that I preferred the course content at Queens, but it was Durham itself that appealed, so I decided it just wasn't right for me. York looks really nice though. I have a friend who did Psychology there and really liked it. If you don't want to live in Birmingham then don't put it as your choice - 3 years (or 4 if you converted to an MSc) is a long time to spend in a city you don't want to be in.
Reply 12
Bath would be my first choice. I'm not entirely sure which would be my next choice as I have seen some and not others, so I won't decide until after post-offer days. I really liked Kent when I went to their open day, and I like that they offer a placement year, and their funding is also good for me, so they are a strong contender. But I haven't seen Nottingham or Southampton, so it's hard to compare.

Presumably it is the Durham course you went for rather than the one at Queens? My problem with Durham was that I preferred the course content at Queens, but it was Durham itself that appealed, so I decided it just wasn't right for me. York looks really nice though. I have a friend who did Psychology there and really liked it. If you don't want to live in Birmingham then don't put it as your choice - 3 years (or 4 if you converted to an MSc) is a long time to spend in a city you don't want to be in.

Ah okay. Definitely go to offer holder open days then! I visited Southampton, it's really nice and the department is excellent. Still didn't win me over - but I guess that's just personal preference. Haven't been to Notts but I hear they are brilliant too.

Yeah, I chose Durham City over Queen's. Good you investigated haha, I know people who apply without looking at the course!

I do prefer York overall and probably will choose it, just scared I make the wrong choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I am waiting too...I have heard from all except Bath.
I will definitely put Bath as my firm if I receive an offer, but I don't know which is better as an insurance choice (Durham, Exeter, Sheffield). Any advice?
Reply 14
Original post by devils
I am waiting too...I have heard from all except Bath.
I will definitely put Bath as my firm if I receive an offer, but I don't know which is better as an insurance choice (Durham, Exeter, Sheffield). Any advice?

It depends which you like most and think you would feel happiest at? Which would you put as firm if you didn't get an offer from Bath? And then if you did get an offer from Bath, then assuming it is higher than your other choice then it can become your insurance with Bath as your firm. But it really depends on which course you like best, which uni you see yourself being happiest at, which you like the atmosphere of most etc etc, plus the offers you have from each, as obviously you need a lower insurance than firm.
Reply 15
It depends which you like most and think you would feel happiest at? Which would you put as firm if you didn't get an offer from Bath? And then if you did get an offer from Bath, then assuming it is higher than your other choice then it can become your insurance with Bath as your firm. But it really depends on which course you like best, which uni you see yourself being happiest at, which you like the atmosphere of most etc etc, plus the offers you have from each, as obviously you need a lower insurance than firm.

Thx :smile:
While Durham is very prestigious and well-known, Exeter seems to have a strong psychology department. But I do love the friendly atmosphere and the student union in Sheffield. (Struggling…:s-smilie:)
I am an international student so I am unable to attend any open day, so I am actively doing research on these uni,
Reply 16
Original post by devils
Thx :smile:
While Durham is very prestigious and well-known, Exeter seems to have a strong psychology department. But I do love the friendly atmosphere and the student union in Sheffield. (Struggling…:s-smilie:)
I am an international student so I am unable to attend any open day, so I am actively doing research on these uni,

Oh I see, that does make it more difficult. Do you also need to take into consideration how you would get to the universities from the airport etc or does that not matter? Which course do you like the look of best?
Reply 17
Oh I see, that does make it more difficult. Do you also need to take into consideration how you would get to the universities from the airport etc or does that not matter? Which course do you like the look of best?

I did talk to their representatives in an exhibition, and I found Sheffield's were super friendly, Durham's was a bit arrogant (no offense), and Exeter's was so-so. And Bath's was so nice and helpful, I absolutely love her.
Reply 18
Original post by devils
I did talk to their representatives in an exhibition, and I found Sheffield's were super friendly, Durham's was a bit arrogant (no offense), and Exeter's was so-so. And Bath's was so nice and helpful, I absolutely love her.

I'd be a bit careful about basing too much of your decision on a conversation with one representative. Look more at the course content, as that tends to vary a reasonable amount from university to university, particularly when it comes to 3rd year modules. Also think about the type of environment you want to be in. Sheffield is a large, industrial (historically) city, and very different in atmosphere to both Durham and Exeter, which are both far smaller and very historic. Durham also has the collegiate system, so you need to consider if that is something that appeals or not - which college has made you an offer? I would place far more emphasis on the types of cities and campuses, the course content and structure, and things like the accommodation, societies, SU etc than your impression of 1 representative.
Reply 19
I'd be a bit careful about basing too much of your decision on a conversation with one representative. Look more at the course content, as that tends to vary a reasonable amount from university to university, particularly when it comes to 3rd year modules. Also think about the type of environment you want to be in. Sheffield is a large, industrial (historically) city, and very different in atmosphere to both Durham and Exeter, which are both far smaller and very historic. Durham also has the collegiate system, so you need to consider if that is something that appeals or not - which college has made you an offer? I would place far more emphasis on the types of cities and campuses, the course content and structure, and things like the accommodation, societies, SU etc than your impression of 1 representative.

You're right...thanks for your advice! :smile:
I prefer small, historic cities like Durham and Exeter, and they have got better course content than Sheffield. So I just narrowed it down into Durham vs Exeter.
They both seem to be very nice uni, but unfortunately they are not really well-known in my country :s-smilie: (They only know oxbridge and lse!) So it is a bit difficult to gather information.
But thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest