The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Talk slowly. Seriously, it worked wonders for me when I tried it. It allows you to sort of hear myself talking and I was able to cut down on filler words too. If you think you're talking too slowly, then you're probably at the best pace.

Btw 'you know' is appropriate sometimes, you don't need to cut it out completely. Just use it when you need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll try that
Original post by MX123
Thanks! I'll try that

Filler words sometimes makes your answer sound less rehearsed and more genuine, even my interviewers used filler words when asking questions, its just a matter of not over doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1782
Original post by Secret.
Filler words sometimes makes your answer sound less rehearsed and more genuine, even my interviewers used filler words when asking questions, its just a matter of not over doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree, it definitely makes the answer sound more natural… just need to cut it down abit
Reply 1783
Anybody know how the Scottish NHS if/has been affected by the reforms/recent scandals in England.

Also are there still pct's in scotland
Reply 1784
Questions:

What is wrong with the NHS?

How do politics influence the health care profession?

And imagine you are on a commitee able to recommedn only one of two new surgical treatments to be made available through the nhs. The treatments are: an artifical heart for babies born with heart defects, or a hip replacement for people with severe arthritis. Both treatments are permanent and never need repeating. They are of equal cost. On what grounds would you make your arguements?
Original post by MX123
Anybody know how the Scottish NHS if/has been affected by the reforms/recent scandals in England.

Also are there still pct's in scotland

As far as I'm aware the reforms only apply to NHS England.
My interview is tomorrow, ahhhhhh!

For the 'Why Sheffield?' question, I've picked out:

- ridiculously good union
- patients centred approach
- Systems-based curriculum
- Early clinical exposure

Do you think that it's okay to only have 4 if I expand on them? I don't want to just give them a list, I want to get my passion across, but don't want to sound like I've not researched enough. Also, other than the 'Why Medicine?' questions, i haven't prepared set answers for anything, because I don't want to sound robotic- I have an idea of what I'll say, just not to the letter. Is that okay?
Original post by StephenNaulls

Do you think that it's okay to only have 4 if I expand on them? I don't want to just give them a list, I want to get my passion across, but don't want to sound like I've not researched enough. Also, other than the 'Why Medicine?' questions, i haven't prepared set answers for anything, because I don't want to sound robotic- I have an idea of what I'll say, just not to the letter. Is that okay?

Yeah that's more than enough!

I've just made a document with 3 bullet points for all of the common questions just so I have an idea of what to say :smile:

Good luck dude!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the national priorities in health care?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by letsbehonest
What are the national priorities in health care?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in what are the main things we target? Funding for Dementia has been given a lot more funding recently, with the number of people suffering from it expecting to double by 2050. Meanwhile, Dame Professor Sally Davis, Chief Medical Officer for the UK, upgraded antibiotic resistance to the same level of threat as terrorism (I believe),so i believe enacting protocols to deal with their misuse is high on the agenda.

Education also plays a pivotal role. Obesity leads to a lot of chronic ailments, such as Diabetes or Arthritis, that place a lot of strain of the NHS, particularly Diabetes, as it cause people to get other, more complicated disease. Therefore, making people more aware of the damage they inflict on themselves would be high up, to relieve the stress self-perpetuated issues place on the NHS.

Yes/No?

As in what are the main things we target? Funding for Dementia has been given a lot more funding recently, with the number of people suffering from it expecting to double by 2050. Meanwhile, Dame Professor Sally Davis, Chief Medical Officer for the UK, upgraded antibiotic resistance to the same level of threat as terrorism (I believe),so i believe enacting protocols to deal with their misuse is high on the agenda.

Education also plays a pivotal role. Obesity leads to a lot of chronic ailments, such as Diabetes or Arthritis, that place a lot of strain of the NHS, particularly Diabetes, as it cause people to get other, more complicated disease. Therefore, making people more aware of the damage they inflict on themselves would be high up, to relieve the stress self-perpetuated issues place on the NHS.

Yes/No?

Yep seems right, there are also the obvious ones (such as lack of funding, rationing of treatments etc.)

There is also the confidence in NHS which may be low (due to Mid staffs, NHS 'scandals' such as lying about hospital data, a Dr lying to patient he removed her brain tumor, Surgeon signing his initials on a patients liver) but these aren't as important as the ones above :biggrin: Good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by Secret.
Yep seems right, there are also the obvious ones (such as lack of funding, rationing of treatments etc.)

There is also the confidence in NHS which may be low (due to Mid staffs, NHS 'scandals' such as lying about hospital data, a Dr lying to patient he removed her brain tumor, Surgeon signing his initials on a patients liver) but these aren't as important as the ones above :biggrin: Good luck for tomorrow!

Thank you, I'll keep those in mind :smile:
Reply 1792
To the idiot who was saying that UK university medical graduates are 'undereducated' have a look at this: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/subject-ranking/subject/clinical-pre-clinical-health

4 of the top 6 are in the UK, I got bored going back to find the first Polish one so shut up.

Yes/No?

Great answer!

I would have said increasing quality of care and then rambled on about the reforms

Also reducing waiting times how accident and emergency has been changing to make it more efficient

And perhaps giving patients more choice :smile:

The question was quite open, I will take pointers from your answer because it was good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scenario: Imagine you are a doctor, an 18 year old girl needs an emergency blood transfusion. She refuses treatment however her parents are adamant that she has the blood transfusion. What do you do?
Scenario: Imagine you are a doctor, an 18 year old girl needs an emergency blood transfusion. She refuses treatment however her parents are adamant that she has the blood transfusion. What do you do?

If she has capacity, we have to respect her patient autonomy. If she doesn't have capacity, we can still override her decision using the mental health act.

Obviously it's in her best interests to treat her (beneficence) so medics should use great comm skills to figure out the reason why she doesn't want the transfusion

Look for any other suitable means of treatment

If she still refuses, then we have to make her comfortable I guess...her parents wishes are irrelevant as she's an adult.

Any decision made must be from a multidisciplinary team with senior members and perhaps get some legal advice too :smile:
Original post by Miel Purple
If she has capacity, we have to respect her patient autonomy. If she doesn't have capacity, we can still override her decision using the mental health act.

Obviously it's in her best interests to treat her (beneficence) so medics should use great comm skills to figure out the reason why she doesn't want the transfusion

Look for any other suitable means of treatment

If she still refuses, then we have to make her comfortable I guess...her parents wishes are irrelevant as she's an adult.

Any decision made must be from a multidisciplinary team with senior members and perhaps get some legal advice too :smile:

Great answer! :smile:

How would you tell her parents that their decision doesn't matter? If the doctor decided not to give a blood transfusion?
Great answer! :smile:

How would you tell her parents that their decision doesn't matter? If the doctor decided not to give a blood transfusion?

Haha that would be quite difficult tbh but I would sit down with them and discuss (empathy)why the blood transfusion will not be admitted because their daughter is an adult in the eyes of the law and we have to respect her decision..we'll make her as comfortable as we can.

I think before we have this discussion, I would try my best to find another way to treat the patient :smile:
Original post by Miel Purple

Haha that would be quite difficult tbh but I would sit down with them and discuss (empathy)why the blood transfusion will not be admitted because their daughter is an adult in the eyes of the law and we have to respect her decision..we'll make her as comfortable as we can.

I think before we have this discussion, I would try my best to find another way to treat the patient :smile:

I would have said the same thing! :smile:

I have my first and only interview tomorrow :eek: Any tips?
I would have said the same thing! :smile:

I have my first and only interview tomorrow :eek: Any tips?

Good to know :smile:

Oh is it east anglia? I think you made the thread :tongue:

I went there last week and it was friendly, just remain calm, speak well, don't rush it! Um try and organise what you're gona say before you go into the room.
As long as you've done decent prep, you should be ok.
As it's your only interview, don't put pressure on yourself, try and enjoy it. Oh and talk to the other interviewees in the waiting room, that helps!

It goes very fast! Good luck :smile:
Oh and if you meet a guy called Trevor, tell him I said hi :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending