The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amaracoco
How can I prepare for role play scenarios?

Everyone says this but you can't really prepare :redface:

You could look at the GMC's guide and all the case studies on the website, they'll give an idea as to what sort of scenarios may come up and how a doctor should act. However not all the scenarios will be doctor/patient some will be a friend/friend, PBL group peers etc.

Just be nice, friendly, have positive body language and talk! You'll be surprised by the number of people who can't do that! :tongue:
Any advice for a panel interview at Sheffield, it says they may ask about ethics on their site but I'm not aure whether to research lota of ethics or a few in detail?
Reply 1822

acting lessons
Does anyone have any tips for when being interviewed with the whole good cop/bad cop routine?

Eg if one of them grills you and keeps interrupting with the next question

Cheers in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr. Aco Malfoy
Does anyone have any tips for when being interviewed with the whole good cop/bad cop routine?

Eg if one of them grills you and keeps interrupting with the next question

Cheers in advance! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't speak to fast, speak slowly and try to reduce the pace of the interview so you'll feel calm and more relaxed.

I also had the bad cop routine last time and it is annoying being interrupted at everything you say but try and see through it and be confident.
Original post by Miel Purple
Don't speak to fast, speak slowly and try to reduce the pace of the interview so you'll feel calm and more relaxed.

I also had the bad cop routine last time and it is annoying being interrupted at everything you say but try and see through it and be confident.

Cheers for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1826

The actor/actors employed to take part in your role play will 100% take it seriously, not for one moment will they feel ridiculous or giggle.

Just immerse yourself in it as if it were for real. Relax, make good eye contact, try to be helpful and friendly...
Reply 1827
Original post by Winky spider
Hey guys, I have applied to medical school this year and I have created a blog with my take on the entire application process. Please have a read and let me know what you people think about it. winkyspider.wordpress.com

I just read through some of your blog it was rather enjoyable :smile:

"we have even come to nickname terms, he has given me a 10 digit Personal Id number and I call him “%^%#$#” "

that made me chuckle ahahaha
Original post by tashac
I just read through some of your blog it was rather enjoyable :smile:

"we have even come to nickname terms, he has given me a 10 digit Personal Id number and I call him “%^%#$#” "

that made me chuckle ahahaha

Trust me, my experiences through medschool are turning out to be really hilarious (rather than fruitful, as I had imagined :s-smilie:) Anyhow, thank you for going through my blog, I am so very glad.
Original post by Winky spider
Trust me, my experiences through medschool are turning out to be really hilarious (rather than fruitful, as I had imagined :s-smilie:) Anyhow, thank you for going through my blog, I am so very glad.

I agree. It was an enjoyable read and I also had a few chuckles. :smile: I could really relate to your rather hilarious stories! Where are you from may I ask?
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I agree. It was an enjoyable read and I also had a few chuckles. :smile: I could really relate to your rather hilarious stories! Where are you from may I ask?

Hey thanks a ton! I am from India and I am glad that you found the blog readable..... I am superbly encouraged, thanks again. :smile:
Reply 1831
Nice blog you got there! Had a really good read: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zheyuan
Nice blog you got there! Had a really good read: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, atleast one good thing came out of this application process! This is majorly encouraging.......
Hi just a quick ethics question.

Say if a patient needed an emergency blood transfusion but were unable to give consent, (bearing in mind some religions don't allow transfusions) who would ultimately make the decision on whether or not to give the blood? Could a family member refuse it on their behalf for religious reasons?
Original post by Jimbob995

Say if a patient needed an emergency blood transfusion but were unable to give consent, (bearing in mind some religions don't allow transfusions) who would ultimately make the decision on whether or not to give the blood? Could a family member refuse it on their behalf for religious reasons?

You'd check their medical records to see whether they have made a 'living will' refusing blood transfusions, if they have such an arrangement in place you can't carry out the transfusion and you would consider other possible solutions. However if they don't, and you know that they belong to a religion in which blood transfusions are not permitted, this doesn't necessarily mean that you don't give the blood as they may not follow their religion in an orthodox manner. In this situation, since its an emergency you might have to give the blood as long as you can defend your actions if the patient decides to take it to court. It's probably a good idea to get hold of the family if you can as they may be able to help you decide what the patient would have wanted, however the final decision rests with you after discussion with other doctors and senior colleagues. The most important thing is that you are able to defend yourself in court if legal action is taken against you e.g. you were acting in the best interests of the patient. Hope this helps
Thanks! That's a great answer :smile:
Original post by Jimbob995

This is actually technically a legal question rather than an ethical one, in real life practice.

No adult can consent to or refuse treatment on behalf of another adult unless there is a lasting power of attorney in place. You can and should take their views into account, but they are not legally binding or enforceable. The patient's best interests are paramount.

Many JWs carry a card in their wallet which states their position on blood transfusion. In the absence of this or any other evidence of an advance directive, you treat in their best interests.
Reply 1837
Original post by Helenia
This is actually technically a legal question rather than an ethical one, in real life practice.

No adult can consent to or refuse treatment on behalf of another adult unless there is a lasting power of attorney in place. You can and should take their views into account, but they are not legally binding or enforceable. The patient's best interests are paramount.

Many JWs carry a card in their wallet which states their position on blood transfusion. In the absence of this or any other evidence of an advance directive, you treat in their best interests.

hi helenia :smile:

If a child was deemed not competent to give valid consent for a particular treatment and the person or local authority with parental responsibilities (assume parent) refuses to consent for the treatment of the child, what happens?

Or can the doctors override the parents' wishes and act in the best interests of the child?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy_95

Or can the doctors override the parents' wishes and act in the best interests of the child?

Thanks

Correct. (there was a case last year on the BBC which illustrated just that). The patient will always be your first priority. Try and research the case of Neon Roberts, where his mother had a rather irrational reason of refusing to give permission for him to be treated. The procedure involved a relatively safe radiotherapy treatment.
Reply 1839
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Correct. (there was a case last year on the BBC which illustrated just that). The patient will always be your first priority. Try and research the case of Neon Roberts, where his mother had a rather irrational reason of refusing to give permission for him to be treated. The procedure involved a relatively safe radiotherapy treatment.

Thankyou!

I do remember that case (it was pretty bad). Ill have a look :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending