The Student Room Group

THE musical theatre thread

Okay everyone, I am obsessed with musical theatre and none of my friends are so I thought I would make a musical theatre thread here and other musical theatre obsessives can meet each other! 😃 Please chat away! What are your favourite shows? Favourite performers?

Rebecca 😄 x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one replied. Disgusting.

I love the songs in Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.

Spring, Spring, Spring is a wonderful song. The lyrics are beautifully written.
My favourite musical by a long shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Nope they didn't! Well I'm very glad somebody did, thank you 😀

My favourite musicals are WICKED, Ghost, Les Misèrables, Phantom of the Opera, Matilda and Merrily We Roll Along. Defying Gravity is my favourite song ever, I also love Here Right Now from Ghost and Our Time from Merrily!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Woo :awesome:

Wicked, RENT, Avenue Q, The Lion King, Les Miserables, Matilda, Hairspray are my favourites.

Favourite performers... Idina Menzel has to be up there :h: seen her perform live, went to see her at the Palace in Manchester last year - she is INCREDIBLE! Also love Kerry Ellis (she was incredible in War Of The Worlds live too! Saw it last December), Oliver Tompsett and Samantha Barks :h:
Reply 4
Secret MT lover here :ahee:

Currently obsessed with a show called Pippin, the revival performance at the Tony's was amazeballs! :gah:

Also auditioning for RENT at uni :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by madders94
Woo :awesome:

Wicked, RENT, Avenue Q, The Lion King, Les Miserables, Matilda, Hairspray are my favourites.

Favourite performers... Idina Menzel has to be up there :h: seen her perform live, went to see her at the Palace in Manchester last year - she is INCREDIBLE! Also love Kerry Ellis (she was incredible in War Of The Worlds live too! Saw it last December), Oliver Tompsett and Samantha Barks :h:

Sam and Kerry are two of my favourites too! I've seen Kerry quite a few times and I'm seeing her in Rent in February too! 😅

I forgot to mention my favourite performers and I wrote the post 😆 Louise Dearman, Gina Beck, Katie Rowley Jones, Kerry Ellis, Samantha Barks, Sierra Boggess, Clare Foster and Carrie Hope Fletcher (who I'm seeing in Les Mis on Saturday! 😀) oh and the Strallens! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Can't believe more people haven't replied!!

fave musicals have to include: lion king, billy Elliot, les miserables, Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat, blood brothers, wizard of oz, Oliver!

Theres so many to choose from!!
What a great thread!!
:h:Lion King,The Phantom of the Opera,Wicked,Mary Poppins,Cabaret and many more!:biggrin:Oh God,they're so many and sooo wonderful!:biggrin:
Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly were just irresisitible!!:h:
Musical theatre is magical,it has acting,dancing,singing along with some beautiful lyrics and a positive vibe!:h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Also auditioning for RENT at uni :biggrin:
That's wonderful!:biggrin:Wish you the best of luck!:h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey what are you favourite shows on West End? I'm going to London later this year and me and my friend are looking at booking tickets to the Lion King. Anything else you'd recommend as something you have to see? I'd really like to see Les Mis. Any other suggestions for must-see shows?
Reply 10
Original post by alejandro_o
Hey what are you favourite shows on West End? I'm going to London later this year and me and my friend are looking at booking tickets to the Lion King. Anything else you'd recommend as something you have to see? I'd really like to see Les Mis. Any other suggestions for must-see shows?

I recommend WICKED extremely highly! Absolutely love it! Also Mamma Mia! You will be dancing and singing the songs for the next few months haha! :biggrin: Have a lovely time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Becka24601
I recommend WICKED extremely highly! Absolutely love it! Also Mamma Mia! You will be dancing and singing the songs for the next few months haha! :biggrin: Have a lovely time! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I actually did see Wicked last time I as in London! It was fantastic, although I found it kind of strange and slightly distracting that Elfaba had such a posh accent. Seemed a bit out of character for her, also some of the songs didn't rhyme properly with a really English accent :/ But I suppose it's better than when people try to put on an accent and then they lose it partway through the show and end up with this jumbled up accent that comes and goes. Still quite odd.
Reply 12

I saw The Lion King recently, and the bits where everyone was on stage all at once were amazing, but the bits with fewer characters weren't as good. The girl child's voice was completely drowned out during "I just can't wait to be king". And I can see why some people describe it as being mildly racist.

It was good, but not one of my favourites.
Original post by Juno
I saw The Lion King recently, and the bits where everyone was on stage all at once were amazing, but the bits with fewer characters weren't as good. The girl child's voice was completely drowned out during "I just can't wait to be king". And I can see why some people describe it as being mildly racist.

It was good, but not one of my favourites.

I've seen the Lion King last year, and I agree with most of that, but the parts where it was good were REALLY good, so I'm keen to see it again. Which shows are your favourites? :smile:
Reply 14
I've seen the Lion King last year, and I agree with most of that, but the parts where it was good were REALLY good, so I'm keen to see it again. Which shows are your favourites? :smile:

I haven't seen that many :sad: I loved A Chorus Line which I saw in June. And I quite liked Spamalot too.

I really want to see Wicked, and I Can't Sing sounds funny (even though everyone else seems to hate it).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
When I was very young (roughly aged three - six) I had both My Fair Lady and Oliver! on VHS and I was obsessed with them. Especially MFL, which I watched daily. Whenever my parents want to embarrass me they bust out the tape of three-year-old me singing songs from MFL, faux cockney accent and all. I took theatre classes when I was 9/10, but social anxiety made me reconsider being an actress. Too bad. Maybe if I hadn't quit I'd be a star by now. :laugh:

I'm from the US so never seen a West End show, and I've only seen two Broadway shows in my life (Peter Pan and The Fantasticks, when I was five). However, I saw Spring Awakening on tour, which I loved. I've also seen bootleg versions (I'm poor, lol) of The Book of Mormon, Matilda, and Avenue Q, which were all great.
A Chorus Line is really underrated but I love it :smile:
Original post by may348
When I was very young (roughly aged three - six) I had both My Fair Lady and Oliver! on VHS and I was obsessed with them. Especially MFL, which I watched daily. Whenever my parents want to embarrass me they bust out the tape of three-year-old me singing songs from MFL, faux cockney accent and all. I took theatre classes when I was 9/10, but social anxiety made me reconsider being an actress. Too bad. Maybe if I hadn't quit I'd be a star by now. :laugh:

I'm from the US so never seen a West End show, and I've only seen two Broadway shows in my life (Peter Pan and The Fantasticks, when I was five). However, I saw Spring Awakening on tour, which I loved. I've also seen bootleg versions (I'm poor, lol) of The Book of Mormon, Matilda, and Avenue Q, which were all great.

I'd love to see Spring Awakening! I've seen amateur productions, but never a professional show. I have the Broadway soundtrack and it's so good! My mum has videos of my brother dancing to Singing in the Rain when he was two, and holding an umbrella above his head, and dancing along to it, but unfortunately his love of musicals didn't endure :/
Reply 18
I'm going to see The Phantom Of The Opera in January :excited:
ive seen
phantom of the opera twice
bugsy Malone
wicked twice
Charlie and the chocolate factory
mamma Mia
Priscilla
cats

I adore phantom sooo much!!!!

Quick Reply